Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not getting Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With EAP take rate at >80% (according to Troy's community data), I think Tesla would actually lose money if they did a-la-carte. So that's probably not going to be likely.
You're probably right. I'm happy with my choice to skip all of it, but I'm also glad to see so many people embrace it. The ultimate goal is very cool, so good to see they're going to keep aggressively funding it.

Well, I'll be happy to provide you with a full two week thumbs down review
No Thanks.

The autosteer was really, really weird to me. I felt that I had to torque the wheel just short of disengaging the autosteer every few seconds, and I can't imagine that everyone has just learned to live with that.

I think so. I suspect something weird (a loose nut?) between the steering wheel and the seat.

i have no intention of buying EAP at it's current price point. If they ever decide to reduce it down the road tosomething a little more reasonable I might consider adding it on to my 3 but I don't do a lot of highway driving so I really don't see any reason for using it.
+1. That's my take on it as well.
Wow. 2 and a half months later and I have to eat my words. Tesla had a good idea offering a free trial period of EAP to those that didn't include the option in their original order. I took advantage of it and used it as much as possible to see if it would be something that I could use more than just occasionally. My work commute is half highway/half city streets. The highway part is generally backed up at several places in the morning. Putting the car into TACC really does relieve the tedium of stop-n-go-n-stop-again. I only have to keep left (in the fast lane) to allow the motorcycles to pass safely. It's why I generally don't use Autosteer (AS) in the mornings but will activate it on the drive home in the evening when there's less traffic. I'm also still leery of using AS. I keep finding myself trying to gently tug the wheel a little bit to the left or right when I'm passing another vehicle. AS keeps the car in the middle of the lane, whereas I try to give some more room. I'm planning to drive down to L.A. next month with the wife and I'll see how much I use the automation. She is not very keen on the idea of me using EAP when she's in the car.

In the end, I decided that having it, even at a $500 penalty, was worth it to me (better than the extra $1000 it was previously). Sure it would be nice to be able to purchase TACC and AS separately or EAP to be offered at a lower cost but Tesla is out to make money on this endeavor so I guess I can't fault them too much. I do like the prospect of getting new functionality via OTA updates in the future.

Reactions: Electroman
Wow. 2 and a half months later and I have to eat my words. Tesla had a good idea offering a free trial period of EAP to those that didn't include the option in their original order. I took advantage of it and used it as much as possible to see if it would be something that I could use more than just occasionally. My work commute is half highway/half city streets. The highway part is generally backed up at several places in the morning. Putting the car into TACC really does relieve the tedium of stop-n-go-n-stop-again. I only have to keep left (in the fast lane) to allow the motorcycles to pass safely. It's why I generally don't use Autosteer (AS) in the mornings but will activate it on the drive home in the evening when there's less traffic. I'm also still leery of using AS. I keep finding myself trying to gently tug the wheel a little bit to the left or right when I'm passing another vehicle. AS keeps the car in the middle of the lane, whereas I try to give some more room. I'm planning to drive down to L.A. next month with the wife and I'll see how much I use the automation. She is not very keen on the idea of me using EAP when she's in the car.

In the end, I decided that having it, even at a $500 penalty, was worth it to me (better than the extra $1000 it was previously). Sure it would be nice to be able to purchase TACC and AS separately or EAP to be offered at a lower cost but Tesla is out to make money on this endeavor so I guess I can't fault them too much. I do like the prospect of getting new functionality via OTA updates in the future.
I use TACC probably 90% of the time, and only have to turn it off when approaching an intersection. It makes things sooooo much easier. I use AutoSteer a lot, and it definitely makes things easier, but there are places it just plain makes the wrong decision and I have to override it. But both really are a lot of fun to use and definitely make my ride more enjoyable. Happy that you were able to find that you like it! I can't wait to see V9 and subsequent releases and what kind of stuff they'll add!

Small update, I've been having an "Autopilot Trial Updating" message blocking my screen since the day after my trial stopped prematurely. Customer support is still working to resolve this issue, but have told me the trial period is over and they will not be restoring the trial once they fix the error. After really pushing for the idea of autopilot trials as something that could realistically get me to buy the add-on, I have to say I have never had a more disappointing sales pitch. Absolutely love everything about my car, but Tesla should be embarrassed at their trial rollout.