Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not getting Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife says Autopilot drives more smoothly than me and she actually feels safer when it is in use! I find it works almost perfect on major, well marked roads and am amazed how much more relaxed I feel at the end of a long journey. For me it is one of the major reasons for buying a Tesla and I am surprised that people buy these wonderful cars without.

For the nags, I believe they are based on distance - definitely more frequent the faster you are driving.

It took me about 500 miles of intermittent use on a 1400-mile road trip to really "get" autosteer to the point where it was helping me more than hurting me. Then the next 900 miles it was on pretty much continuously. :cool:

Then my trial ended, and now I'm sad that I don't have AP, even though I wouldn't use it daily or even weekly, and I couldn't get summon to work at all. But not as sad as an additional $5500+tax hole in my bank account would make me at the moment. Argh.

I find it easier to monitor the surroundings while using Autopilot. The nag has got to be too much though.

I just hang my left hand lightly at the 7 o'clock position and it's never an issue. I have a 25 mile commute each way, mostly on highway with VERY erratic speeds and use TACC about 99% of the time. I'll use AP about 60% of the time depending on the conditions, traffic, and how I'm feeling. On internstate road trips then I'm in AP almost exclusively. It makes road trips a dream. It's easily worth the cost to me.

Well, now I've tried it. I wanted to wait to give a full two week review, but unfortunately it only worked for a day and disappeared thereafter. I'll start by saying that TACC is indeed very cool. I might contest that it brakes a little more dramatically than a human driver, and a few times it seemed quite confused how fast it should be going, but overall it was very good and I could easily see myself using it. The remaining features did not seem to have any practical application for me, at least in their current iteration. Most bewildering by far was autosteer. Beyond the novelty of how cool a car that steers itself is, I couldn't figure out why anyone would use it. It took substantially more effort and concentration to focus on exerting just the right about of torque on the wheel for it not to incessantly nag me than I have ever put into actually steering the car myself. I had to correct it at most exits as well. The autopark provides some entertainment value in just how audacious some of the places it suggests to park are. Yet in my office's well marked parking garage, none of the ample number of spots seemed to be deemed suitable. I actually had kept open the possibility of getting autopilot when the federal tax credit came in, but I am no longer interested.
Said the man that used it for a day. There are many more driving protections active with EAP.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
Said the man that used it for a day. There are many more driving protections active with EAP.
Safety features do not require EAP. Non-EAP cars have been shown to swerve away from adjacent lane-crossing vehicles and brake defensively (AEB).
B240F474-C51A-41C3-8AA1-1D5625B937E3.jpeg

Reactions: Foxhound199
I posted my take on it as I had it as a trial period and while I had a few concerns such as how it dealt with acceleration lanes where the lane marking is gone, I liked it. But I decided it wasn’t worth $5500 for me.

Now that the trial has expired I definitely miss it on the commute. As others have said I have no doubt I was more relaxed at the end of my commute by using it. There’s also the safety element too.

Is it worth $5500 to me? I get the development costs etc. and it’s really good. If it was half that I’d pay that immediately.

But I’m going to have to get snow tires and wheels and I’m not in the mood for a $5500 hit when I just paid for the car.

We shall see...I could also see myself bending on this one.

Autosteer tried to kill us. It mistook a driveway on a bend for continuing roadway and steered toward it at full speed. My wife screamed and we narrowly averted a crash.
I would like the adaptive cruise control alone, for a reasonable price.

Autosteer tried to kill us. It mistook a driveway on a bend for continuing roadway and steered toward it at full speed. My wife screamed and we narrowly averted a crash.

I agree. Adaptive cruise control with full stop capability (for stop and go traffic) would be great if it was a relatively cheap add-on. That is one of the only situations where I've felt it does extremely well...I just rarely sit in traffic. But the times I have, your legs are less tired since you don't have to keep going back and forth on the pedals.

Driveway on a bend ? Is this in a residential neighborhood that you were driving with AP? Did you have lines on both sides?

I am guessing a lot of people simply have no clue as to how AP works and when they should use it.

All these seem to me like, ‘I pressed the accelerator and the car went like a rocket. It tried to kill me’

Driveway on a bend ? Is this in a residential neighborhood that you were driving with AP? Did you have lines on both sides?

I am guessing a lot of people simply have no clue as to how AP works and when they should use it.

All these seem to me like, ‘I pressed the accelerator and the car went like a rocket. It tried to kill me’
Indeed. If you are using autopilot on a road with a driveway, YOU ARE USING IT INCORRECTLY. It's meant for freeway driving only. That's not to say that it won't function off the freeway, but if you use it in that scenario, you better be damn sure you're highly vigilant because it WILL behave erratically at some point.

Well, I'll be happy to provide you with a full two week thumbs down review if Tesla ever decides to reinstate my trial, though I somehow doubt you'll find that more satisfactory. I suppose one possibility is that there actually was a software issue with the EAP, which has been causing some annoying problems for my car ever since. The autosteer was really, really weird to me. I felt that I had to torque the wheel just short of disengaging the autosteer every few seconds, and I can't imagine that everyone has just learned to live with that.