Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone NOT had any issues with their Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6 months in.

Zero issues on pick up, however developed a fault where it would only charge on DC and not AC.

Went back to Tesla for 2 weeks, they changed the "penthouse unit" (as they call it) - Had a loaner Model S. Picked up and all good.

You'll always here more from people who have issues than people that don't, it's human nature.

Tesla fixed my issues quickly, communicated well, zero hassles.

Over 6 months of pleasure.
Nothing bad to report!

If I concentrate hard and think about the bad things...
2 days the rear camera didn't work (hours after an OAU) - it fixed itself - just as well, as the Service visit was 6 weeks away.

But, no paint, panel, water or other problems - I had PPF on the front and they reported no major issues, i.e. their trained eyes and bright lights found 5 or 6 areas to buff up, and good thick paint (110 microns - I think) - probably what you would expect with the multicoat option

The car has only improved with the updates.
Oh, the steering wheel occasionally makes a sighing, or light mooing noise, sometimes early in the morning (I think it is a slight rubbing against the covers as you turn lock-to-lock). I might be tempted to investigate... in a year or 2... buuuut probably not - I think I might be getting to like the little noise.
;)

4 days in...

Cracked windscreen - not a fault of Tesla, just unlucky. Victim to a large stone on the A19 which has delaminated the window right at the edge. Will have to speak to Autoglass and no doubt Tesla.

Ouch, feel your pain only 4 days in with a new car.

Thread is reassuring a bit, seeing the misalignment on the showroom car in Edinburgh left me feeling a bit worried. I feel exactly the same as the OP, this will be my most expensive car by a long way and I'm happy with my current car which has no faults after 4 years 6 months and running well so it would be a bit of a nightmare to sell it for a car that ended up with issues. As already said I think half the battle is being lucky enough to get a good one from the factory. There seems very little battery or motor issues, most problems seem to come down to build quality, even the major system failures are down to poor build letting water in rather than a big component failure.

My car has been trouble free as far as running it goes. If someone hadn’t run into it, I wouldn’t need a replacement door that is on order. Tesla don’t seem to be able to predict when that door will be available. So no problems with my car but likely to have a problem with Tesla’s logistics/service. Luckily although bashed, my existing door is still useable. I hate to think what life would be like if it was something mobility critical that needed replaced in my car.

Just pondering as to whether the issues that seem to pop up on these forums are indicative

They make the headlines of course (all stuff, not just Tesla)

I've picked up 3 x M3 and 1 x MS in the last 8 months. One M3 had a panel adjustment (fixed in 10 minutes at collection, and at that time they also spotted something wrong with a wheel - none of the three of us had noticed - which they also replaced)

Had a chip on the MS (its done 11K miles in 4 months) which, after repair, became a cracked windscreen which was a major saga to sort out. But Tesla had them in stock and would have fitted one same-day (if I had paid, Insurance would only use approved installer) so I think that was mostly Autoglass being utterly useless.

Dunno if the glass is "softer" per se ... there is a lot of it. Had one cracked windscreen on previous MS in 3.5 years / 90,000 miles.

Service on previous MS was typically "a week or more" if there was some part needed under warranty. But I was putting miles on a loaner instead ...

I was sideswiped on a roundabout, which caused two small dents on the doors on that side. Took months for parts to arrive, but car was drivable (I really really should have just had the dents "pulled"; Tesla Approved Bodyshop said it would weaken the Ali and under no circumstances should I do that ... well he would wouldn't he?)

Do they prioritise bigger issues

The prioritised me when my fault was classified as "undrivable" (headlight was toggling on/off Beam by itself). That was years ago though ...

I hate to think what life would be like if it was something mobility critical that needed replaced in my car.

Depends if they will give you a loaner. I've never had a problem with that (it has delayed service appointment somewhat, but where non critical I didn't care). So if warranty issue, and they do have enough loaners available??, that should be fine

If the car is bent then insurance should provide some alternative wheels ... might not be electric ones though :(

6 weeks service centre lead time?
Do they prioritise bigger issues because a 6 week lead time for a service centre appt would be painful. Even the reversing camera being out for 6 weeks would be a right pain.

Well regular service centre appointment for items that are not critical for driving ie cosmetic, paint or panel issues have at least a 6 week lead time in my experience and is only likely to get worse with more cars unless they hire more staff quickly.

For critical items there is a break down number to call and they will at least take the car in to be looked at but people have reported the cars not even being looked at for 2-3 weeks (Check for the thread about complete breakdown).

Even though many seem to want to disagree with my posts and not actually reply with what it is they disagree about, IF you can get a car on delivery with no issues ie reject the car if it has paint or panel problems then you have a good chance of avoiding most people's issues.

If you get paint issues on delivery then you can expect unto 5 months for these to be fixed. This is from my experience due to the service centres not knowing how to communicate internally and basically wasting my time and theirs.

Last edited:
Just pondering as to whether the issues that seem to pop up on these forums are indicative of a larger proportion of Model 3 owners or that we only hear of the bad things on here as it were.

Some issues that spring to mind are:
Easily cracked windscreen and difficult to replace/long waiting times/recalibration issues.
Slow charging issues.
Steering column rattles.
Multiple System Failures.
Did they sort out the ripped under tray issue in the newest builds?
Condensation in lights.
Then it seems that the ability to fix said issues seems to be hit and miss with the Service Centres/Rangers with long waits, unable to get through. Certainly not the fix it at all costs I had been led to be believe/understand.

I’m just worried that I’m going to spend the most I’ve ever spent on a vehicle by a large factor and whilst the vehicle is reportedly brilliant is the ‘issues’ mentioned above going to ruin the experience in the long term. I.e. in a couple of years once are these issues that are tolerated/accepted in the early phases of ownership going to wear thin quickly?

Any thoughts or people with similar concerns?
6 Months and 5,000 Miles and nothing literally nothing wrong, maybe I' m lucky.

Reactions: Roy W.
4 months in, 2,285 miles travelled.

Only issue I have needed fixing was a cosmetic defect on the rear seat material.
I've had to do one "hard reboot" to get the car to see other vehicles again.
No mechanical issues, no stuck frunk and no water-related problems.

Picked up black M3P today - tiny little spec of dust under the paint in a couple of places it seems. Other than that pretty much perfect. Fit and finish seems good, no rattles or squeaks.

I'm happy with it and the collection experience was pleasant.

September model 3 performance, done 7.5k and every mile has been a joy (apart from that time I only had 6 miles of range left in the tank), 0 issues to report here.
I've gone to single digits too, and another great thing for me is the predictability of the range. My map will show I've got, say, 178 miles to go, and I've got 199 miles of range (difference of +21), which depending on conditions can be fine or terrible. If I travel on and see I have 112 miles to go and 119 miles of range, my buffer has dwindled, and I know I'd better keep it below 65. I find that actually driving the speed limit makes my estimated range err on the low side, by which I mean I can be sure of making it to my destination without stopping. Or, by the same token, I can decide I need to stop for a top up well ahead of time--when I still have options.