Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
R1T "they're too expensive"
According to the information provided to Tom, the Rivian R1T sees a ~17% price increase, effective immediately. The base price, which was previously at $67,500, now comes in around $78,975, at least temporarily. Moreover, the cost of some options, upgrades, and accessories increased as well.
total BS

Adventure line --> dual motor AWD --> large battery with 320 miles EPA --> $73,500 (260 miles battery version - $67,500)

I'm not sure what the CT will cost but i *doubt* that Tesla is selling you a 300+ miles CT for under $70k when both Ford and Rivian are charging $70k+.

The subcompact Model Y with 330 miles of range starts at $64k ....

with tailgate down and a stupid extender...no thanks. 54 inches is not enough when you want to have a lid and make it lockable.

54 inches is plenty for the 95%+ of times a truck owner doesn't use the bed at all *but* wants to easily fit into a residential garage

and 84 inches is great for the 5% of times you need to haul something from Home Depot or carry dirt bikes on the weekends...

the current F150 and the CT which is similar in length barely fit into a residential parking garage length wise. I had the "joy" of parking my 2015 F150 Lariat (SuperCrew/Short bed) in our garage for a few years and it did barely fit ... with a few inches in front and rear to spare.

54 inches is plenty for the 95%+ of times a truck owner doesn't use the bed at all *but* wants to easily fit into a residential garage

and 84 inches is great for the 5% of times you need to haul something from Home Depot or carry dirt bikes on the weekends...

the current F150 and the CT which is similar in length barely fit into a residential parking garage length wise. I had the "joy" of parking my 2015 F150 Lariat (SuperCrew/Short bed) in our garage for a few years and it did barely fit ... with a few inches in front and rear to spare.
My wife "WOW that's pretty big" ;)

i literally went into the configurator and priced it out today - see my post. takes 2min ...

the article is quoting the QUAD motor starting at around $79k. the dual motor AWD is what I quoted.

Folks have to be high or have a seizure to expect Tesla selling a QUAD motor CT for under $80k...

It’s going to be fairly small if you want to be able to lock things in there which will require the tailgate up. Won’t fit skis, won’t fit more then 1-2 adult bikes (even with the front wheels removed), heck will be close to fit a full sized straight shaft string trimmer corner to corner, barely fit 4 golf bags,…

At least it has the gear tunnel for longer items. That is unless you fill it with the kitchen.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
Not close to large enough if you want to be able to lock things in there which will require the tailgate up. Won’t fit skis, won’t fit more then 1-2 adult bikes (even with the front wheels removed), heck will be close to fit a full sized straight shaft string trimmer corner to corner, barely fit 4 golf bags,…
Then a full size truck is better for you. CT if you are a apocalyptic hipster or Lightning if you like to avoid public ridicule.

R1T is for people who don't want an full size truck and like to pay for unseen fancy engineering.

Since the demand for R1T, CT, and Lightning will likely exceed supply for a number of years all three companies made good design choices. All three are also quite different vehicles, which is nice for consumers.

Reactions: KJD and Ormond
Then a full size truck is better for you. CT if you are a apocalyptic hipster or Lightning if you like to avoid public ridicule.

R1T is for people who don't want an full size truck and like to pay for unseen fancy engineering.

Since the demand for R1T, CT, and Lightning will likely exceed supply for a number of years all three companies made good design choices. All three are also quite different vehicles, which is nice for consumers.
I don’t know, mostly useless bed, 20” minimum rim size, 21” and 22” options, novelty air suspension, optional kitchen,… all sound urban hipster to me ;)

In all seriousness, I’m going on 8 years with teslas, I’ve almost gotten to the point of dreading driving my built LX570.

When it comes to my trucks I’m very function oriented, use them hard, and keep them a long time. If I didn’t off road and tow I wouldn’t own a truck.

before 1996 I had a beast of a Subaru loyal. Had a 1996 J80 from 1998 until 2014. Then a 2003 G500 from 2003 until 2013. Now a 2013 LX570 that I bought in 2013.

Really want an EV truck/SUV as soon as one hits the market that meets my needs/standards. It could be the Rivian or CT, or other? Still have a reservation on a CT, canceled my RT1 since who knows when the max pack will be available. Sort of hoping Ford does a raptor EV or Toyota does an EV 300/400 series.

I don’t know, mostly useless bed, 20” minimum rim size, 21” and 22” options, novelty air suspension, optional kitchen,… all sound urban hipster to me ;)

In all seriousness, I’m going on 8 years with teslas, I’ve almost gotten to the point of dreading driving my built LX570.

When it comes to my trucks I’m very function oriented, use them hard, and keep them a long time. If I didn’t off road and tow I wouldn’t own a truck.

before 1996 I had a beast of a Subaru loyal. Had a 1996 J80 from 1998 until 2014. Then a 2003 G500 from 2003 until 2013. Now a 2013 LX570 that I bought in 2013.

Really want an EV truck/SUV as soon as one hits the market that meets my needs/standards. It could be the Rivian or CT, or other? Still have a reservation on a CT, canceled my RT1 since who knows when the max pack will be available. Sort of hoping Ford does a raptor EV or Toyota does an EV 300/400 series.
R1T is definitely hipster. But it's Patagonia hipster. Non-truck/EV people won't even notice the vehicle. I'm not looking for Mad Max hipster.

20" minimum wheels because stopping 7000 pounds. The weird choice Rivian made was the standard 21" wheel. That requires a tire made for Rivian and costs $450. That choice pushes most thoughtful people to the 20" wheel option.

I expect Rivian to be like the first eight years or so of Tesla where trading for a newer vehicle periodically made a lot of sense.

The Lightning sounds ideal for you. Although it is so strongly an F150 which is both a benefit but less exciting than truly new models. Since it is faster than the Raptor I'm not sure what a Raptor Lightning would be like.

I don't like the size of Lightning or CT (assuming CT is still F150 size)

… canceled my RT1 since who knows when the max pack will be available.
Thanks! I just moved up 1 notch! :)

I’m still hanging in there, waiting for the Max Pack, since I only need a truck when I’m pulling my Airstream. The CT would definitely suit my purpose since it wouldn’t live in a garage or do much in the way of urban driving — except passing thru. But if the CT is delayed beyond the R1T I could make the R1T work. The big question mark with the Rivian is the charging network. Not sure if I can make that work.

Reactions: coleAK
R1T is definitely hipster. But it's Patagonia hipster. Non-truck/EV people won't even notice the vehicle. I'm not looking for Mad Max hipster.

20" minimum wheels because stopping 7000 pounds. The weird choice Rivian made was the standard 21" wheel. That requires a tire made for Rivian and costs $450. That choice pushes most thoughtful people to the 20" wheel option.

I expect Rivian to be like the first eight years or so of Tesla where trading for a newer vehicle periodically made a lot of sense.

The Lightning sounds ideal for you. Although it is so strongly an F150 which is both a benefit but less exciting than truly new models. Since it is faster than the Raptor I'm not sure what a Raptor Lightning would be like.

I don't like the size of Lightning or CT (assuming CT is still F150 size)
My LX570 is ~7k lbs on 17” rims. Most 1 ton diesels have 15” front rotors and 16-18” rims. many up here with camper toppers are >12k lbs. I would argue that it could get away with smaller brakes then a comparable ICE due to having Regen brakes to supplement stopping power.

Mainly I need a truck I can comfortably and reliable off road with and tow. Currently can’t do either with the Rivian. I’m going to sit back and wait, Someone will pull the large brembos to fit 17’s.

Also I need at least 400 mile range so lightning won’t work at least for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iain
My LX570 is ~7k lbs on 17” rims. Most 1 ton diesels have 15” front rotors and 16-18” rims. many up here with camper toppers are >12k lbs. I would argue that it could get away with smaller brakes then a comparable ICE due to having Regen brakes to supplement stopping power.

Mainly I need a truck I can comfortably and reliable off road with and tow. Currently can’t do either with the Rivian. I’m going to sit back and wait, Someone will pull the large brembos to fit 17’s.

Also I need at least 400 mile range so lightning won’t work at least for now.

The lightning may not have more range until the next version is released.

The Cybertruck is probably closer to a one ton pickup than Rivian.

I ordered the Rivian max pack for both the range (400) and to delay delivery. With pre order pricing and $11.5K in tax credits its a "no brainer" for me.

I prefer Tesla to Rivian but not cybertruck. It seems unlikely Tesla will have a different light truck this decade. One advantage to Musk's over promising is that there is little future product mystery.

This is absolutely 100% correct. The vast, overwhelming majority (I would guess well over 95%+ of usage) of truck bed usage a 54" bed is *plenty*. My truck's bed is 64" long and I routinely carry 4x8 sheet goods and longer boards without any problem. Having items stick out the back is not difficult to comply with local laws. The number of instances where you need a longer bed, perhaps to cover and lock something securely for almost all truck owners will happen a handful of times at most...if that.

However, parking in the garage where the charger is most easily located will happen every single night. If the R1T could use the supercharger network, even at a premium cost I would have already ordered one and it would be a complete no-brainer decision.

Rivian is still claiming that they will build 600 proprietary DCFC by the end of 2023. This seems unlikely. But if they built several hundred where they are needed the brand would be more desirable.

I suspect CCS1 charging is in trouble. I suspect the potential for federal funding has delayed projects.

Anyone familiar with Ford blue oval charging? Is this just another worthless charging setup at Ford dealers?