Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone thinking about an VW ID.4 Instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no problem with it. I would have even considered it at a time. If you just want an EV to drive, I'm sure it's fine. But it's kind of bland and doesn't seem fun to drive. VW has lost a lot of credibility over the recent years. All that said I almost think the build quality, consistency, and customer service will be better. I know Audi treated me like a king. Maybe in another few years I'll see where VW is but the whole market will likely be way different by then anyway.

Why are you ignoring that for the $20k premium you get ~60 miles more range, better performance, and AWD?

Wow my friend some people dont need that, In NV,AZ,CA i dont need AWD , 60 more miles with Teslas are nothing, If Etron is 218 mi range you can expect it, with AC on, 316 miles with Tesla is 250 out of door/garage unless you have eveything off in your car.
Many people dont need that "better performance" for 10 miles daily commute.
If MY comes with 400 miles range then we can talk about good deal

Wow my friend some people dont need that, In NV,AZ,CA i dont need AWD , 60 more miles with Teslas are nothing, If Etron is 218 mi range you can expect it, with AC on, 316 miles with Tesla is 250 out of door/garage unless you have eveything off in your car.

I'm not saying everyone needs those benefits. What I'm saying is that you seem to think Tesla needs to respond, because the MY isn't as cheap as an ID4 it isn't competing with.

NV, AZ and CA all get snow in the mountains/high elevation. Also, AWD provides better grip in the dry and rain as well. I can't imagine wanting a 2WD car, unless it was a true sports car.

Well i have to correct my self ID4 is $43,995 with nice options (base is still 40k) but still under 35k after all credits.
Tesla really need to come out with cheaper RWD option.
Not everybody live in mountains, many people dont need AWD.
I want Tesla for city driving and MAYBE sometimes for longer trips.
We car argue here forever but i still stand to my opinion that Tesla is not good car for long trips.
At least in hot climate (AZ,NV,CA)
I heard horror stories from my friends what happened to them when traveling in their cars this summer, almost all had AC problems and 12V battery issues.
When you have 2-3 kids and your car stops in the middle of trip ( in desert) and Tesla does not help you with loaner or anything then you will ask your self about right decision of purchasing $60 k vehicle.

You haven't seen the real world tests of the Etron then, because it ain't close to that 218mi range. Also, try using the AC while it charges and you are under 25% on the battery at the EA Charger in Las Vegas in September in the middle of the day.

You haven't seen the real world tests of the Etron then, because it ain't close to that 218mi range. Also, try using the AC while it charges and you are under 25% on the battery at the EA Charger in Las Vegas in September in the middle of the day.

I know 2 people who actually took trip from Vegas to LA in Etron and never had problems with AC or other issues.
Range is problem,yes, but they didnt have big drop in miles as some friends in their Teslas.
This is what i heard from others, i doubt they would lie to me,they like their Tesla`s but are disappointed with actual range and AC problems.
That`s why i want tesla for only city driving and dont need AWD or 316 miles range for $50k

I know 2 people who actually took trip from Vegas to LA in Etron and never had problems with AC or other issues.
Range is problem,yes, but they didnt have big drop in miles as some friends in their Teslas.
This is what i heard from others, i doubt they would lie to me,they like their Tesla`s but are disappointed with actual range and AC problems.
That`s why i want tesla for only city driving and dont need AWD or 316 miles range for $50k

Then 3 years from now and a $25k Tesla would fit your requirements.

Reactions: jeremymc7
After having owned a nissan leaf, not getting another non-tesla EV.

The nice thing about Tesla is that it's a tech company trying to make cars. For small fit and finishes it might not be the best, but it's spectacularly amazing for the things that most people really care about. User experience comes first as how it is in tech. The hardware is just there to support the experience. It's kind of like iPhone vs Nokia. IPhone is kind of software first, the hardware is just a vessel to deliver the software.

Traditional car makers try to make cars first, and software for the car is just an after thought. With almost all the softwares outsourced to 3rd party sweatshops. Like appliances, they try to add buttons and features for the sake of it rather than considering about the overall user experience.

I like my tesla because it delights me like no other car despite all the quirks. Until traditional car manufacturers start placing user experience as the top most priority, they will always be a long way to go to catch up to tesla.

It's also not just about the car's sales price, it's the cost of ownership that's important. My nissan leaf depreciated so much you might as well send it to the scrap yard after 3 years, similar to every other EV other than tesla which has amazingly low depreciation. This translates to a huge cost of ownership for other EVs even though they might be cheaper upfront.

Reactions: alexcue and DanDi58
those first Leafs are practically worthless

But what do you think about the current entry level Leaf at $139 per month on a lease? For simply city driving that is an enticing entry for an EV. In 3 years when the Leaf lease is up then there will be a slew of new EVs to choose from.

thoughts?

sorry I know this is off-topic but since the Leaf was mentioned....

Reactions: Reeler

But what do you think about the current entry level Leaf at $139 per month on a lease? For simply city driving that is an enticing entry for an EV. In 3 years when the Leaf lease is up then there will be a slew of new EVs to choose from.

thoughts?

If I can interject...

As the previous owner of a 2016 LEAF SV, I'd say I enjoyed owning the LEAF insofar as it compared to driving our previous ICEVs around town. After owning both an MX and Model 3, I couldn't really go back to it...even at that price tag.

I realize not everyone can afford a Tesla, and certainly if my choice was LEAF (or ID4) or an ICEV of similar cost I'd definitely go for the BEV.

thoughts?

My Leaf was a 2017. I got a 3 year lease for just $99 a month. Honestly, it's OK, but it's just ok. Zero attempts at luxury/comfort, just a plain boring commute car.

- Insulation was bad. If you think Tesla have loud highway noise, wait till you drive a Leaf.
- Thin glass and windshield. Condensation forms up all the time whenever it's cold.
- Feels flimsy. Driving with high wind on highway feels like the car would fly. Ride quality is horrible with tons of bumps as well. Driving my nissan leaf at 65MPH feels more dangerous than driving my BMW at 90MPH.
- Range isn't great, especially in colder days. Much less than advertised.
- Heater has the burning plastic smell like those cheap $30 space heaters.

However, it drives fine. Torque is great since it's an EV. No gas required and saves quite a bit of money. All in all it's a good commute car that will remind you why it's $99 a month every time you drive it.

Statement ($4,500) and Gradient ($1,500), respectively. The former adds an illuminated Volkswagen logo on the front end, thin strips of LEDs on either side of it, adaptive LED headlights, a fixed panoramic roof, 12-way power-adjustable front seats (six-way power seats are standard), and power-folding mirrors with puddle lights, among other features. The latter bundles 20-inch wheels, a black roof, silver roof rails, and silver exterior accents.

Three years of charging with Electricity America is included.

Statement ($4,500) and Gradient ($1,500), respectively. The former adds an illuminated Volkswagen logo on the front end, thin strips of LEDs on either side of it, adaptive LED headlights, a fixed panoramic roof, 12-way power-adjustable front seats (six-way power seats are standard), and power-folding mirrors with puddle lights, among other features. The latter bundles 20-inch wheels, a black roof, silver roof rails, and silver exterior accents.

Three years of charging with Electricity America is included.
Actually sounds really good given the pricing and how soon it’s going to be coming out. My issue is that I don’t like using EA and have had all sorts of problems with them, really want AWD, and I was hoping the longer-range version would come out first. I do think it’s a good alternative/entry level EV SUV though for those that can’t afford a MY.