Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone thinking about an VW ID.4 Instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can build one and reserve your spot for $100 right now.

Introducing the all-electric Volkswagen ID.4
I cannot find too much information regarding the battery size?

Range
The Volkswagen ID.4 electric vehicle can take you where you need to go
with a manufacturer estimated 250 miles of range(21).
I noticed that the ID.3 with the 80 kWh battery, you can only have 4 passenger and no tow hitch because of weight limitation.

I would be very interested to see Bjørn Nyland doing some consumption and range tests of the ID.4 against the Model Y.

Future cars always look fantastic, because all we know about them comes from their marketing department.

VW has a history of poor quality, misleading customers, defrauding govenment regulators and generally being un-ethical.

They tend to be very arrogant as well.

Imaging they will make some pretty good EV's but they are running late to the party.

Currentlly I feel best about Tesla. Feel they are by far the market leader in EV technology.

Hate buying from legacy dealerships as well. They make you grind with them for over 4 hours, just to get a starting price, then haggle financing, additional dealership markup, market pricing and protection coating. Am done with all that.

Tesla needs to work on panel fittment and paint quality. Those are mostly Ego items that really do not effect the functionality of those cars.

PS. Love my Tesla.

VW has a looong history of producing very good cars - the one scandal about diesel was a one-off.

I cannot find too much information regarding the battery size?

Range
The Volkswagen ID.4 electric vehicle can take you where you need to go
with a manufacturer estimated 250 miles of range(21).
I noticed that the ID.3 with the 80 kWh battery, you can only have 4 passenger and no tow hitch because of weight limitation.

I would be very interested to see Bjørn Nyland doing some consumption and range tests of the ID.4 against the Model Y.

Yes, that is correct about the iD.3, but does not carry over to the iD.4. The battery size is 82kW, approximately 77kW usable

I have test driven a couple electric vehicles and nothing matches the handling of the Teslas. Even the X, which kinda feels like driving a bus to me, handles much better than the BMW i3. (I understand the i3 is hardly a comparison to anything besides one of those plastic kiddy karts with a 6v battery, but still.)

How's VW charging network? or is it a city car only?

It's not necessarily propitiatory. Includes 3 years of free Electricity America; check their map. Or use other regular charging networks. With proper charger it can do 80% in 20min; however those chargers are (currently) not as plentiful as Tesla's superchargers. It's not a city car, but I would say it's currently not as easy for long trips on major routes as a Tesla. It's all changing so quick though.

I have test driven a couple electric vehicles and nothing matches the handling of the Teslas. Even the X, which kinda feels like driving a bus to me, handles much better than the BMW i3. (I understand the i3 is hardly a comparison to anything besides one of those plastic kiddy karts with a 6v battery, but still.)

The new Porsche does. But we're talking high spec Model S pricing.

Actually sounds really good given the pricing and how soon it’s going to be coming out. My issue is that I don’t like using EA and have had all sorts of problems with them, really want AWD, and I was hoping the longer-range version would come out first. I do think it’s a good alternative/entry level EV SUV though for those that can’t afford a MY.
Assuming they use the same size battery pack, adding AWD will cost what in range? 25 miles? So are you now looking at 225 miles EPA, maybe 210 real world?

Reactions: El joe
My Lease is up on Model X in May. Currently deciding what to lease next. Likely will focus on Model Y or another Model X. Maybe will test drive ID.4 or Mach-E, but not a fan of VW or Ford after owning their products. Drove Jag and was disappointed.

Big difference between X and Y; in multiple ways.

What about E-Tron? Audi also has some others coming beside current one but not sure if by May.

Who gets their advertised range in their Tesla? I NEVER have!

The epa test has a light foot. It's how one drives. I averaged 24 mpg in my 2012 sti cause I was easy on the pedals unless out for fun. I managed 82% electric in my 2017 Volt for 27k miles with 3 trips to AZ one of which included the Grand canyon. It only took L2 and that throttled.

One time I got 80 miles on a single charger when traffic to OC was under 10 mph both ways.

Did Cambria home, with a stop in solvang, with 45 miles still showing in my M3 lr rwd. That has to be close to that stated. I bought it used so it may have been put away wet before.

I think most people in most cars, generally don't see EPA numbers. I read them as "maybe" not gospel.

NV, AZ and CA all get snow in the mountains/high elevation. Also, AWD provides better grip in the dry and rain as well. I can't imagine wanting a 2WD car, unless it was a true sports car.
I, for one, would happily buy a Model Y that was RWD only if it was available now. I'd take the increased efficiency and lower price over AWD that I don't need.

Reactions: vegas888