Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone thinking about an VW ID.4 Instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ID4 acceleration will probably be typical for that class of ICE vehicle. But I'm sure that the secondary reason the Model Y PUP upgrade was released by Tesla was to make a stark differentiation when the youtube drag races between ID4 and Y appear. You know the guys that post Tesla drag races will be hunting for a cooperative ID4 owner.

I suggest a model Y towing an ID4 while drag racing an ID4 would be a fun recast of the Top Gear episode.
The normal LR AWD at 4.8 seconds would make the ID.4 at 7.8 seconds look silly. The AB isn't necessary for those videos to look good in Tesla's favor.

Just like I predicted, sold out in no time at all. The question is how many of those sales were or are Tesla owners. As I said in an earlier thread, new customers interested in electric vehicles jumped on this and with good reason.
  • Low base price
  • Great rebate from the Federal Government
  • Free charging for three years i(f you can find it and get it to work)
  • German workmanship
  • Spacious as compared to a MY
  • Service dealerships readably available (not far to have your car towed)

I personally would buy the extended warranty offered by VW that covers the electronics just in case anything goes wrong. I would also consider leasing this vehicle that way VW can take care of all issues for three years, an option that is probably a little more expensive, but well worth it in the long run.

How many sales did Tesla loose to VW?

Battery degradation can also be an issue. Tesla has proven it degrades less than 15% in after 150k-200k miles. This is not true with most, if not all, other electric cars. Time will tell how VW's battery pack/BMS measure up to Tesla, especially factoring in repeated use of fast charging. I hope VW gets it right, but my guess is, it won't hold up as nearly well as Tesla battery and BMS.

• Funny
Reactions: Tforme
Just like I predicted, sold out in no time at all. The question is how many of those sales were or are Tesla owners. As I said in an earlier thread, new customers interested in electric vehicles jumped on this and with good reason.
  • Low base price
  • Great rebate from the Federal Government
  • Free charging for three years i(f you can find it and get it to work)
  • German workmanship

I personally would buy the extended warranty offered by VW that covers the electronics just in case anything goes wrong. I would also consider leasing this vehicle that way VW can take care of all issues for three years, an option that is probably a little more expensive, but well worth it in the long run.

How many sales did Tesla loose to VW?

Well, there were only 2,000 available.

I'd wager they lost just as many (proportionally) as the Bolt has taken.

Dimensions almost identical so it's not a factor
There are more VW delerships, but how READY they are to service EVs? Just looking at e-tron user experience I'd say not better then Tesla (and that is Audi dealerships which supposed to be superior to VWs)

Besides lower price (for lower range) do not see any material and substantial advantage of ID.4 to MY. Comparing to oncoming LR RWD for 45k ID.4 would have even less price advantage.

Price of charging also not so substantial, 95% of charging happens at home, it's not going to gas station ICE pattern here...

I bought my first EV back in 2017, as I was undecided about making the switch from an ICE to an electric car. I bought a Chevy Volt. (I still have it. Great little car.) I can take it from my home to Vegas without stopping, as the 8.9-gallon gas tank allows me to make the trip without a stop. (just the way I like it. No food, drinks or bathroom breaks needed.)

When I first considered an EV car, I never cared whether or not I could drag race another car. I live in Los Angeles. There’s traffic everywhere, so top speed is irrelevant for me (and most people who have commuter cars). Besides, I like to cruise and enjoy the ride.

For most people, an EV is a new concept to them. So spending lots of money on first EV is not attractive. Spending less is much more palatable, and perhaps seen as less risky (just in case they don’t like it).

3 yrs later and now I also own a MY, which is also a great car. I can go longer distances on a charge than the Volt, but that doesn’t make the Volt any less attractive to many people.

I can definitely see a place for the VW ID4. I like the look.

I thought about an ID4, but I didn't want to wait for the AWD version. It has 302hp, versus 384 for the MY LR AWD, so I'd expect a decent 0-60 time. I like that it offers blind spot monitoring, a heated steering wheel, an instrument cluster, and XM radio. After the federal tax incentive, it's a decent value that I wouldn't mind giving to my son in 4 years. That said, I'm looking forward to picking up my Model Y Performance next week!

Battery degradation can also be an issue. Tesla has proven it degrades less than 15% in after 150k-200k miles. This is not true with most, if not all, other electric cars. Time will tell how VW's battery pack/BMS measure up to Tesla, especially factoring in repeated use of fast charging. I hope VW gets it right, but my guess is, it won't hold up as nearly well as Tesla battery and BMS.

Right. I am also thinking about the actual “powertrain” and motor reliability longer term. There’s no sense in buying something that will require major repair in 5 years. Or I can put my tinfoil hat on and suggest that it is part of VW’s “big conspiracy” longer term to get people to keep driving ICE.

Bumping an old thread, seems its most appropriate thread comparing the ID.4 to the Teslas. Although, the last post was in Sept of 2020 when it was all speculation, the car is out now.

Also, I took deliver of a Standard Range Model Y in March, as an FYI or background.
Drove the VW ID.4 1st Edition today. Blue with black interior, white steering wheel, 20” wheels, etc.

First thing: as soon as I pulled out of the parking space and driving in the lot the car felt so wide in front. I got used to it before too long. My friend pointed out that the Model Y’s cabin area is narrower than fans out into a larger wider body.

Ride seems smoother. Glided over the road better. Didn’t feel all the small bumps and pavement imperfections like I do in the Model Y. Much smoother, cleaner feel. Although, when I got back in my car the difference wasn’t that pronounced. The ID.4’s driving dynamics were a little more spongy overall, but not that much.

Acceleration was pretty decent. It could get up and go much better than my 2014 Accord Hybrid, but not quite as fast as the Model Y SR. When I was reading about the ID.4 in the past I felt the 0-60 was close to a deal breaker. But after having driven it I think its got plenty of pickup for my needs. One salesman has a 270HP cc replacement (don’t remember the model). He said he liked the acceleration in the ID.4 better than his car because of the smoothness, no gear shifting, etc.

CarPlay, wireless and it worked. I drove around calling a couple of friends and felt right at home with CarPlay on that nice big screen. The experience definitely reinforces in my mind how much better CarPlay is over Tesla’s infotainment system. I did have a tough time learning which buttons and controls to use. The haptic steering wheel buttons were a little weird. Couldn’t find the unlock button to let my friend in. All the controls were a little quirky. I think given some time I could master them. Finding everything on the Tesla’s screen took some learning too.

Cargo storage seemed adequate. No front truck, but it looked serviceable, unlike Tesla and Ford where you have to take all kinds of things apart to get to the 12 volt battery and other systems. The rear hatch includes a cargo cover, so the back is more like a trunk. Rear compartments not as deep as the Model Y.

Salesman said they’ve sold 5-6 of them. The one I drove was the demo model that’s already sold, but they’ll have it till July. They are getting some allocations, so it sounds like availability isn’t too bad.

Overall the thing I liked most was the CarPlay system. It felt so fluid and natural on the big screen.