Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried the "Active Exhaust" systems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't mind these products, in fact I think adding some sound back to the EVs would do well for folks (like myself) who really miss the pomp and circumstance that came from an I6, V8/10/12.
Shudders at the thought. I never had a problem with cars that made a noise because they had to, but tuning the exhaust to sound artificially loud (or even looking at you BMW, piping in fake sounds thru the sounds system) is, to my mind, feeble.

Shudders at the thought. I never had a problem with cars that made a noise because they had to, but tuning the exhaust to sound artificially loud (or even looking at you BMW, piping in fake sounds thru the sounds system) is, to my mind, feeble.

As in, aftermarket exhaust? So you'd find this....feeble?

Agreed on piping in 'supplemental' exhaust sounds.....but you don't like high flow exhaust notes?

If I was going to buy an "exhaust" for my S, I'd want it to sound like one of these.....or maybe a TIE Interceptor.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
Why…. Just why???

Because apparently some people are so attached to the past that they want to drag it with them, even when it's *bad*.

Next they'll make an artificial engine oil system you can attach to your EV, complete with scheduled oil changes. Oh, and gasoline scented air fresheners for those times you visit the supercharger.

Because apparently some people are so attached to the past that they want to drag it with them, even when it's *bad*.

Next they'll make an artificial engine oil system you can attach to your EV, complete with scheduled oil changes. Oh, and gasoline scented air fresheners for those times you visit the supercharger.
A horse 💩 dispenser too…

What a weird thing to say.

Many folks didn’t buy a Tesla to save the whales. They bought it because it’s the fastest practical car they can afford with limited parking space. That said, Many of those folks, myself included, still really enjoy the sound and experience of rowing through gears and hearing the connection between man and machine. Same reason folks still buy old Triumphs and Mustangs - they want the experience.

Teslas lack that experience. They are, frankly, boring. Sure they accelerate fast, but they don’t really grab your senses beyond the butt dyno.

Personally, I don’t want my car to sound like a V8. Doesn’t really fit the profile. But I’d LOVE it to have some Space-y type sound that just makes me feel more engaged in the driving experience. And that’s what these types of products offer. A way to engage the senses.

There’s a reason why Porsche, Audi, and Mercedes ALL offer this in their standard EV lineup. But folks who buy Teslas as an appliance, same as a Corolla, may not be able to make that connection.

rotary-cellphone.jpg
old-man-radio.jpeg

We're all in agreement then.

Agreed on piping in 'supplemental' exhaust sounds.....but you don't like high flow exhaust notes?
Shudders. The issue, of course, is its invasive to others. I dont care what noises you shove in your ears, even to the point of deafness .. I just dont like it when people shove it in my (and others) ears. But of course for many that's exactly the point, it's all about shouting "look at me, aren't I clever!", when of course "clever" is the last thing they are being.

Shudders. The issue, of course, is its invasive to others. I dont care what noises you shove in your ears, even to the point of deafness .. I just dont like it when people shove it in my (and others) ears. But of course for many that's exactly the point, it's all about shouting "look at me, aren't I clever!", when of course "clever" is the last thing they are being.

Ah, we see cars from totally different viewpoints. Of course no one likes the douche in the Firebird waking up the neighbors at 5 AM, but if you think any car that makes noise is "invasive," we'd never get along.

That's like saying my vaccinated dog lacks rabies.

Hard disagree. I like my P90D a lot. But it lacks soul. It feels like a Linux Server with wheels. Yes, it's an acceleration monster, something ideal for my commute and maintenance free. Great. But it's not exhilarating. It doesn't leave me wanting to, say, go drive spiritedly through the mountains.

I did get that exhilarating feeling from my old BMW M5. Tiff Needell said the same thing when he drove the S around Barcelona...uncomfortably quiet. And clearly the Germans agree too, hence why they pump in cool sci-fi sounds to the Taycan, Etron GT, and EQS.

Masking V8 sounds onto an EV is kinda silly. But some engineered futuristic track that makes it sound like a space ship and enhances my driving experience? Sign me up.

Last edited:
Ah, we see cars from totally different viewpoints. Of course no one likes the douche in the Firebird waking up the neighbors at 5 AM, but if you think all cars sound "invasive," we'd never get along.
I didn't say they all sound invasive, but when you can still hear a car 5 blocks away because its been tuned to be as loud as possible, I think of my father, who would tap his head and say "Hollow vessels make the most sound" :)

I didn't say they all sound invasive, but when you can still hear a car 5 blocks away because its been tuned to be as loud as possible, I think of my father, who would tap his head and say "Hollow vessels make the most sound" :)

Well yeah, duh. Anything tuned to be as loud as humanly possible is incredibly annoying. I have no idea how loud these speaker exhaust things are because I've never seen it in person, but the point shouldn't be to break glass a county over, it should be to add a little extra buzz to your drive. I think we can universally hate Donna's straight piped Camaro driving through neighborhoods at 30 mph in 1st.

As in, aftermarket exhaust? So you'd find this....feeble?

If I was going to buy an "exhaust" for my S, I'd want it to sound like one of these.....or maybe a TIE Interceptor.

Other than the reversing beeps, that Taycan admittedly sounds pretty sweet!

I'm fine with nicely tuned exhaust sounds (stock or aftermarket) on big engine sporty cars - music to my ears. But fart can exhausts on 4cyl Civics and such.. *barf.*