Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 Bait and Switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have AP2 and the software update but I've noticed that the blind spot warning doesn't seem to be functioning. While driving in the fast lane the left sensors are going off constantly because of the middle divider however the right sensors don't seem to go off nearly as much even when there are cars next to me. Today I nearly side swiped someone in the right lane and heard zero warning or any sensor warning in the display. Another thing I also noticed is I have a sign in our parking lot space that's a thin post from the floor up to about the hood and got really close to it today with zero indication on the sensor in the front. I will test it again tomorrow.

I'm being patient to and don't mind testing but I'm with others that believe the basic features like blind spot and park assist should already be in the AP2 cars. That would of been nice to have at delivery.

My sensors seems to be better about front and rear corners, not so much directly besides me. As for the parking sign, I feel like mine detects anything, even the concrete blocks on parking spaces.

WOW! That is what the screen should have looked like. In my build on my AP 2.0 THAT IS NOT THE SCREEN WHEN REVERSING.

I had the camera view in the lower screen, No overlay of the radar, and above was the google browser. The radar overlay was in the center cluster. making one have to look in two different places - don't forget the distractions of the warning chime the passenger door wasn't closed or the rear seat latched.

Ok. So I must speak up now that I know you are mistaken. I too have AP 2.0. I know for a fact that the view shown above is exactly what is displayed. In addition you have monitoring and visuals that display distance to object behind and in front utilizing the ultrasonic sensors that are working perfectly. Also, when in reverse in addition to the big 17" display with the reverse camera in full HD resolution and half screen of proximity sensor visual ques on distance in inches it also displays on the instrument panel.

I was in the same situation as you. AP 1.0 was the functions I ordered. Tesla upgraded the hardware with AP 2.0 during production of my car. They sent me an email requiring me to acknowledge and select EAP or EAP with Autonomy. They wouldn't enter it into production otherwise. I don't recall if there was an option to decline because I couldn't accept fast enough.

So, let's not blame the tech for your accident because it was there and fully functional with the new ultrasonic sensors. Oh...I forgot to mention the blaring chimes by distance and a huge STOP being displayed when you are within 12" of an object.

I have AP 2.0 on my X, delivered on 12/15 and I have the exact same screen when I reverse. No matter what apps I'm running when I set to reverse it automatically switches to reverse camera above and blind spot monitor below. My dash also displays blind spot monitor.

I was thinking maybe the OP doesn't have the latest update but he's claimed that he has the light show which means he should have the latest release.

If I may --- I think there is a bit of truth in everyone's post here. If you put the car in reverse, but have not activated the parking sensor system (identified by the cone icon in the upper left corner of the camera screen) you will indeed not have the sensor distance map plus the camera on screen at the same time.

I spent a good bit of time after my delivery on 12/31 pretty much trying every menu option, button, selection, etc. on-screen (The computer engineer in me). I am not 100% sure what triggers the system to include both the camera and the sensor map to show up together, but I can say there have been times where I have activated reverse and have only received the camera (leaving the second half of the screen with whatever app I already had opened. Give it a shot when you all get a chance.

If I may --- I think there is a bit of truth in everyone's post here. If you put the car in reverse, but have not activated the parking sensor system (identified by the cone icon in the upper left corner of the camera screen) you will indeed not have the sensor distance map plus the camera on screen at the same time.

I spent a good bit of time after my delivery on 12/31 pretty much trying every menu option, button, selection, etc. on-screen (The computer engineer in me). I am not 100% sure what triggers the system to include both the camera and the sensor map to show up together, but I can say there have been times where I have activated reverse and have only received the camera (leaving the second half of the screen with whatever app I already had opened. Give it a shot when you all get a chance.
Just went out and played a bit with the conditions to see if I could duplicate the OPs observations. I found one condition where I could duplicate. Driver puts foot on brake and selects Reverse. The expected reverse screen (pop-up) displays on main display with camera and proximity view. I say pop-up because it is a popup screen that overlays the main display. Driver clicks on the "x" (close) icon while in reverse closing the reverse screen/pop-up. Driver is now back to main display with normal view and selections. Driver then realizes he loses the reverse camera view and selects camera manually which will bring up the half camera display with an application (what erver was last selected) on the other half. The driver can only return to the reverse pop-up screen if they select the cone icon from camera application. Here is the catch. If you did not in fact reverse after performing the actions above and simply shift back to Park then shift back to Reverse, the reverse popup does not come up, the main view continues to display. It was not until I shifted to Drive then back to Park then back to Reverse did the pop up then redisplay. In short, if driver shifts to reverse for the first time after a normal drive and park scenario will the reverse pop-up displays automatically. If drive shifts to Reverse then closes the popup he will not get the display again until driver shifts to Drive then Park.

With that said, I could see where a driver is distracted after placing EV in reverse and closes pop-up. Driver will not get the pop-up again until said driver shifts to drive then back to park or manually launches through the reverse camera application.

That's not a reason for any delay. Not to mention the new VP won't be there for real for about a month, afaik. The biggest cause of delay is the switch from mobileeye to the new hardware and having to redo virtually everything.
The linkdin page of the previous VP shows he left at the beginning of December. One would think that had to have some impact.

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D and rush6410
I have AP2 and the software update but I've noticed that the blind spot warning doesn't seem to be functioning. While driving in the fast lane the left sensors are going off constantly because of the middle divider however the right sensors don't seem to go off nearly as much even when there are cars next to me. Today I nearly side swiped someone in the right lane and heard zero warning or any sensor warning in the display. Another thing I also noticed is I have a sign in our parking lot space that's a thin post from the floor up to about the hood and got really close to it today with zero indication on the sensor in the front. I will test it again tomorrow.

I'm being patient to and don't mind testing but I'm with others that believe the basic features like blind spot and park assist should already be in the AP2 cars. That would of been nice to have at delivery.

Blind spot detection cannot work on AP1 cars and Tesla has taken down mention of it on the web site. There is no way to make it work with just parking sensors for AP1 cars. In theory, the AP2 cars can get it working because of the better sensor package. Two years into ownership and promises, and Tesla just gave up on the AP1 cars. Even on AP2 cars, I don't see how it can be useful if there isn't a warning light on the side view mirrors as looking down at the instrument cluster for a car in your blind spot is a hokey human interface design.

I have been playing with the auto park a little and it also sucks on AP1 cars. It doesn't recognize most spots and you have to drive funny to have it have a chance at recognizing a spot. When it does park, it parks like an assh*ole many times. Completely worthless.

I attach some photos of the last bad parking job at my reserved spot at the office. It parks so close to the wall that I cannot get in the hatchback and is far too close to one side of the spot and crooked.
20170110_220416715_iOS.jpg
20170111_002818260_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20170111_002839341_iOS.jpg
    20170111_002839341_iOS.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Informative
Reactions: ABC2D
Just went out and played a bit with the conditions to see if I could duplicate the OPs observations. I found one condition where I could duplicate. Driver puts foot on brake and selects Reverse. The expected reverse screen (pop-up) displays on main display with camera and proximity view. I say pop-up because it is a popup screen that overlays the main display. Driver clicks on the "x" (close) icon while in reverse closing the reverse screen/pop-up. Driver is now back to main display with normal view and selections. Driver then realizes he loses the reverse camera view and selects camera manually which will bring up the half camera display with an application (what erver was last selected) on the other half. The driver can only return to the reverse pop-up screen if they select the cone icon from camera application. Here is the catch. If you did not in fact reverse after performing the actions above and simply shift back to Park then shift back to Reverse, the reverse popup does not come up, the main view continues to display. It was not until I shifted to Drive then back to Park then back to Reverse did the pop up then redisplay. In short, if driver shifts to reverse for the first time after a normal drive and park scenario will the reverse pop-up displays automatically. If drive shifts to Reverse then closes the popup he will not get the display again until driver shifts to Drive then Park.

With that said, I could see where a driver is distracted after placing EV in reverse and closes pop-up. Driver will not get the pop-up again until said driver shifts to drive then back to park or manually launches through the reverse camera application.

Very plausible and thanks for giving it a shot. Your write up has triggered my recollection of steps and I can tell you my similar process and results:

I go to park in my home garage. Since I have another vehicle in the garage already (to the right) and I drive in on an incline my path isn't as boring as level-ground-straight-in. The garage auto-opens, I stop everytime at the threshold by putting my foot on the brake. I initiate my camera from the app selection then hit the cone icon to display both the camera and the proximity view. I do this because I need the cam/proximity both before ever putting my car in reverse since I am driving forward into the garage.

It's very likely OP entered his car and triggered the cam from the dash before placing his MX in reverse therefore resulting in the camera screen view sans proximity sensors or OP performed the steps at the end of your description (both of which resulted in the omission of the proximity view).

Blind spot detection cannot work on AP1 cars and Tesla has taken down mention of it on the web site. There is no way to make it work with just parking sensors for AP1 cars. In theory, the AP2 cars can get it working because of the better sensor package. Two years into ownership and promises, and Tesla just gave up on the AP1 cars. Even on AP2 cars, I don't see how it can be useful if there isn't a warning light on the side view mirrors as looking down at the instrument cluster for a car in your blind spot is a hokey human interface design.

I have been playing with the auto park a little and it also sucks on AP1 cars. It doesn't recognize most spots and you have to drive funny to have it have a chance at recognizing a spot. When it does park, it parks like an assh*ole many times. Completely worthless.

I attach some photos of the last bad parking job at my reserved spot at the office. It parks so close to the wall that I cannot get in the hatchback and is far too close to one side of the spot and crooked.View attachment 210075 View attachment 210076
My understanding is that autopark needs 2 cars on adjacent spots to work (well). It's interesting that you were able to do it without a car next to it.

Very plausible and thanks for giving it a shot. Your write up has triggered my recollection of steps and I can tell you my similar process and results:

I go to park in my home garage. Since I have another vehicle in the garage already (to the right) and I drive in on an incline my path isn't as boring as level-ground-straight-in. The garage auto-opens, I stop everytime at the threshold by putting my foot on the brake. I initiate my camera from the app selection then hit the cone icon to display both the camera and the proximity view. I do this because I need the cam/proximity both before ever putting my car in reverse since I am driving forward into the garage.

It's very likely OP entered his car and triggered the cam from the dash before placing his MX in reverse therefore resulting in the camera screen view sans proximity sensors or OP performed the steps at the end of your description (both of which resulted in the omission of the proximity view).

That is EXACTLY what happened. I reversed, then put back in park while dealing with the front passenger door that was reporting a fault, and dealing with the rear seat (5 seater) latch sensor failure. Went back to reversing, and BANG. still my fault but completely distracted

Tesla needs to change its practices with Model 3. The average non-fanboy person would not tolerate paying 5k for a feature that doesn't exist yet in the car and wait months for it. When Tesla goes mainstream, any features charged must be tested and ready at the time of purchase. Otherwise it will be doomed.
Then he shouldn't pay for it. It's just an option. Problem solved. Buy it if and when it's ready.

Okay so I didn't read the whole thread but the OP seriously needs to chill out and relax... Wayyy to much drama in the original post...

Sometimes I genuinely think Tesla would be better off without some of it's customers and the OP sure sounds like they fit that description rather perfectly...

Wow...

Jeff

Tesla needs to change its practices with Model 3. The average non-fanboy person would not tolerate paying 5k for a feature that doesn't exist yet in the car and wait months for it. When Tesla goes mainstream, any features charged must be tested and ready at the time of purchase. Otherwise it will be doomed.

So what do you want them to do...??? Here is the situation as I see it and someone please contradict me as needed...

Tesla knew it was changing/upgrading the AP hardware and had a decision to make, do we (Tesla) keep selling the old hardware while we fully develop the base software for the new hardware? Or do we go ahead and roll out the new hardware while the software isn't quite there yet knowing full well Tesla needs data from the new hardware to finish the software? If Tesla had went with option A there were going to be one off built cars with the new hardware floating around out there so the data capturing could occur. This certainly wouldn't have gone unnoticed and would have generated lots of questions and potentially lost sales while people "waited"...

Tesla simply couldn't win either way so it selected the most logical, IMHO, option and that was to go ahead and roll out the new hardware now while the software wasn't quite there... If anything Tesla has been through this before with AP1 so it's not a new thing for them... Tesla lives, breaths, and develops on the bleeding edge of technology. If that's not your cup of tea then by all means, go buy something else...

On a side note, I hope the new hardware finally allows for Tesla to roll out a 360 camera birds eye view for parking reasons much like every other "premium" or "luxury" brand has had for some time now...

Jeff