Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting because according to all the "experts" not one line of code has changed in AP1 for years (ie since AP2).

Well not the code related to the mobileye camera, is my understanding, and no, I have no idea what this looks like, but that in itself cannot mean the way the car drives on autopilot is the same as it was years ago. Somehow the implementation of that code (if that makes any sense) is better; or is it the radar code has improved? Again, I have no idea on the subject but I will swear up and down that the car stays in the lane much more predictably and consistently than it did when I got this car over a year ago. Not to mention the lane changing improvements; that must be the camera? Radar doesn't see lines on the road. (wipers operate better also but that is not part of autopilot) Cannot comment on TACC as I don't use it; when I am in traffic I drive it manually as I cannot stand the way it gaps itself and decides to waste energy and brakes amongst other vehicles.

Maybe the expert you are referring to @wk057 would be kind enough to comment if AP could be different now vs. then given the same code regarding the mobileye camera, and if that is the case how can it lane change more efficiently.

But I would love an opportunity to go back to say a 2017. XX version and compare to where it is today just for my own sanity.

• Informative
Reactions: Gerk
On European cars, map version jumped to 2019.20. That might explain the larger download. Now I’m not sure wether they installed concurrently or separately: there was no notification of a map update here. Just noticed later.

If that is pointed towards me I am wondering the same thing on the first point, and it took about 25 minutes to update. I don't time them all to the minute but others, with much more screen notes have taken under 20 minutes.

Based on access point stats, it looks like for my car 2019.20.2.1 was about a 150-160MB download. I think it was also about 25 minutes to apply for my car.

I didn’t notice any different AP1 behavior compared to 2019.16.2 but I didn’t put in a lot of miles on it yet.

Bruce.

Interesting because according to all the "experts" not one line of code has changed in AP1 for years (ie since AP2).
I know there are a ton of very intelligent folks who have looked at and evaluated this code, but I routinely record tricky situations with AP1 and have found improvement through reviewing the videos. Not sure what to think. I think I’ll put together a video and post it to allow others to see for themselves.

Indeed 20.1 and thus 20.2.1 includes AP1 improvement in lane change.
Very fast. With an added warning at each execution at least in my area.
And from the Redit
Second - lane changes with AP1 on seem to be much quicker now and more abrupt. Very nice.Second - lane changes with AP1 on seem to be much quicker now and more abrupt. Very nice.
Personally I don't like the abrupt lane changes. This is actually how it was in the beginning and they keep making it slower and smoother IMHO. Now we are going back to the start it seems.

Note I do not have 20.x installed so I cannot comment from experience.

And from the Redit

Personally I don't like the abrupt lane changes. This is actually how it was in the beginning and they keep making it slower and smoother IMHO. Now we are going back to the start it seems.

Definitely not brutal here.
Just very reactive: given no one next to you or recently next to you, it will change lane still smoothly but now immediately.

Definitely not brutal here.
Just very reactive: given no one next to you or recently next to you, it will change lane still smoothly but now immediately.
I'll have to wait to see. Since I am an early 2016 car with MCU1/AP1 my car does not see adjacent cars until they are just about past me. I don't expect it to detect cars next to me so I never use the lange change without really scanning first deeply.

Reactions: bmah
I'll have to wait to see. Since I am an early 2016 car with MCU1/AP1 my car does not see adjacent cars until they are just about past me. I don't expect it to detect cars next to me so I never use the lange change without really scanning first deeply.

One thing I hated about AP1. It doesn't have any sort of effective blind spot monitoring. It's not even a luxury feature any more.

And from the Redit

There is no difference in lane changes going from 2019.16.2 to 2020.2.1 no quicker, no more abrupt, no smoother; it is unchanged.

It does sense the cars beside you and it will not attempt to change lanes if you move the turn signal indicator towards them while they are in the path. I have tried it.:D Works quite well. ( of course I don’t rely on it; always check first and I am are aware of others cars placement before changing lanes)

cars beside you
Yeah. My definition of "besides you" needs to include the area in your blind spot (ie the rear quarter). It's that gray area where the mirrors have limits even when you adjust them for practically no overlap.

This is perhaps the one issue I have with the AP1/MCU1 cars is that without the extra cameras our car does not detect as many obstacles. I got a 2018 MS loaner without AP1 and it's blind spot detection was vastly superior. This is an area I think Tesla could have upped the game and probably offered a retrofit.

Yeah. My definition of "besides you" needs to include the area in your blind spot (ie the rear quarter). It's that gray area where the mirrors have limits even when you adjust them for practically no overlap.

This is perhaps the one issue I have with the AP1/MCU1 cars is that without the extra cameras our car does not detect as many obstacles. I got a 2018 MS loaner without AP1 and it's blind spot detection was vastly superior. This is an area I think Tesla could have upped the game and probably offered a retrofit.

Sure, but they would much rather we bought a new one :(

Based on access point stats, it looks like for my car 2019.20.2.1 was about a 150-160MB download. I think it was also about 25 minutes to apply for my car.

I didn’t notice any different AP1 behavior compared to 2019.16.2 but I didn’t put in a lot of miles on it yet.

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce, but how does 150 MB compare with other downloads, do you recall?

Sorry, my recollections are sufficiently hazy (they say the memory is the first thing to go!) that I don't have any confidence in any answer I'd give you. :(

Bruce.

Did a little searching and 2020.2.1 looks small compared to the typical update in 2018/2019:

"My Download for .46.2 was around 600MB, so probably not much more than the usual firmware upgrade size of 500-550 MB useable data, more depending on the mode of measurement."

"Yep, looks like it. My Google WiFi shows a 5.3 GB download about an hour ago, so I’m pretty certain it was just a map update. New software updates are typically anywhere from 600 to 800 MB."

Anyone tested SuC speeds for 20.1 (or 20.2.1) yet? Anecdotal reports of 20% increase for M3 and later build S/X up to 140kW on v2 cabinets at low SoC (upping the previous ~110kW limit).

I really doubt our batteries will ever charge at a much higher rate than 120kW. Tesla seems to be in the process of dialing back charging capacity on older batteries, and possibly rate of charge while they investigate the cause of a few battery ignitions.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

I just updated to 2019.20.2.1 5659e07

very excited to see the changes, if any. i will be SCing from an urban charger tonight or tomorrow so i don't expect to see any difference on the SCing front. but i want to see if my 90% drops at all.

4A1D8FCB-B02E-4612-A032-B96206C2D1BB.jpeg
I just wish some day AP1 will stop swerving right then left like a madman at this point in my commute.