Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 17.17.4 Autosteer on freeway max at 80mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I've had 17.17.4 for some time now. Today I was on the 405 freeway in LA and the flow of traffic in the lane I was in was about 85 mph (yes, in LA, just a good time to be on that freeway). But my autosteer wouldn't go above 80 mph.

I double-checked my own release notes and it says on highway the max is up to 90 mph.

Did Tesla roll back on this? Are there certain freeways this isn't allowed? Is there a setting I'm missing?

I've founded multiple cases where AP2 makes mistakes on determining the type of road - and the speed limit.

We have a new toll road extension opened in the last few months. It's not present in the Navigon database (which appears to be about 2 years out of date in our area).

I first set TACC to the highway speed limit (+5 MPH) to 70 MPH. When I enabled AutoSteer, the software believes the speed limit was 45 MPH and quickly decelerated to 50 MPH - something the car behind didn't expect (as everyone else was accelerating up to 70+ MPH).

This indicates there were two problems. First, the AP2 software had the wrong speed limit for the road - which I've seen not only for new roads - but also for roads that have existed with speed limits that should have been different when the Navigon database was created.

Second, the AP2 software is incorrectly marking the road as a surface street - and not a freeway. I've seen this same issue on some of the freeways in our area - even though the roads are limited access, the release prior to 17.17.4 would not engage AutoSteer on those roads, and now imposes the +5 MPH speed limit.

I've founded multiple cases where AP2 makes mistakes on determining the type of road - and the speed limit.

We have a new toll road extension opened in the last few months. It's not present in the Navigon database (which appears to be about 2 years out of date in our area).

I first set TACC to the highway speed limit (+5 MPH) to 70 MPH. When I enabled AutoSteer, the software believes the speed limit was 45 MPH and quickly decelerated to 50 MPH - something the car behind didn't expect (as everyone else was accelerating up to 70+ MPH).

This indicates there were two problems. First, the AP2 software had the wrong speed limit for the road - which I've seen not only for new roads - but also for roads that have existed with speed limits that should have been different when the Navigon database was created.

Second, the AP2 software is incorrectly marking the road as a surface street - and not a freeway. I've seen this same issue on some of the freeways in our area - even though the roads are limited access, the release prior to 17.17.4 would not engage AutoSteer on those roads, and now imposes the +5 MPH speed limit.

Your example is why I believe full scale autonomous driving in US is going to be very difficult to implement. Things change every day (i.e. brief construction, road closes due to floods, etc.) that I just don't think a DB can stay current and real time markings are not always present.

While a high definition map database (with location data on individual lanes & entry/exits) can help, there will always be variations that will never show up in a database - and the software has to be able to react to that, at safety level higher than a human driver.

Map databases will never record items with temporary traffic changes (putting out traffic cones for short term road work, vehicles parked or stopped illegally, blocking lanes or intersections, heavy pedestrian traffic, police re-routing traffic or manually controlling intersections, ...).

Google maps reflect road changes very quickly - so it can be done, but probably never practical to keep all cars up-to-date with offline databases, which is why I believe Tesla will shift to a cloud server for trip routing calculations and only use the Navigon database for offline navigation searches (if they even try to continue to support that).

Having AP rely on the off-line Navigon/Garmin database to make decisions on speed or the type of roads is not going to work, especially in areas with recent road changes or construction. Surely Tesla understands this - and has plans to overcome the limitations in the current nav system.

This happened when my girlfriend drove my Tesla the other night. All of her maximum speed limits were lower than mine.

Were you driving on a new driver profile? I think they might be limiting newer driver profiles more heavily than seasoned drivers.

Do you both have the same speed limit warning value set? On my car, the AP limits to the speed limit plus this offset, at least on local roads. If I increase that limit, the AP will allow the higher speed.

Was your car ever an inventory or loaner vehicle? If so, the speed might still be limited. Were you able to manually drive the car over 80 mph? Are you on 17.17.4 or later?

OMG that was it.

My car was an inventory car and it was limited to 80 mph. I just called Tesla customer support and they saw and removed the limit.

Can't help but laugh. Thank you.