Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 - Definitely heading in the WRONG direction...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But if you wanted to talk cars - all I have to say is this: If anybody says AP2 is less than perfect I will KICK HIS BUTT. :p
that%27s_what_i%27m_talking_about.jpg

I'm done defending AP2. The promise that it would get better over time is completely without evidence. In fact, it seems to get worse with every update. My first Model S with AP1 was awesome for one reason: It was predictable. Sure it wasn't perfect, but it would fail in the same way at the same place every day on my commute. I knew what to expect and could plan for it's limitations.

Then I upgraded to a new Model S with AP2. It also started out pretty predictable. I felt it was on par with AP1, though lacking features like motorcycle detection and rain-sensing wipers, incidentally neither of which are yet available a full year later. With each update, the system seems less and less predictable.

100% my experience (with the exception that AP1 experience comes from loaners).

This.

This.

This.

Is this problem only with AP2? I had a MX rental with AP1, it didn't get close to the wall at all. I drove from SJ to Santa Rosa with barely any interruption on the autopilot. I only took over when I had to go from one highway to another highway. I was doing 78mph, in the fast lane. Heck, I even drove through Oakland with no problem. Many of the places only had construction concrete blocks, barely any lines

Is this problem only with AP2? I had a MX rental with AP1, it didn't get close to the wall at all. I drove from SJ to Santa Rosa with barely any interruption on the autopilot. I only took over when I had to go from one highway to another highway. I was doing 78mph, in the fast lane. Heck, I even drove through Oakland with no problem. Many of the places only had construction concrete blocks, barely any lines

Yes, the problem is mostly with AP2.

AP1 unfortunately follows the lines a bit too carefully in that scenario, so be careful if the wall does any sudden moves...

GT5.gif

Tesla Model S Hits Barrier With Autopilot ON

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno
Yes, the problem is mostly with AP2.

AP1 unfortunately follows the lines a bit too carefully in that scenario, so be careful if the wall does any sudden moves...

GT5.gif

Tesla Model S Hits Barrier With Autopilot ON

I hate to say it, but the driver should take responsibility on that one. I mean not even one attempt to move the car, the guy didn't pay attention at all. I live in California, the highway are like trash oasis. The folks at Caltran are lazys and don't believe in signs, you should always look ahead a little bit to ensure no construction or any obstacles.

Anyway, will I notice anything worse about AP2 that I didn't experience in AP1? The AP1 did everything I want the system to do, will I be disappointed in going to 2?

I hate to say it, but the driver should take responsibility on that one. I mean not even one attempt to move the car, the guy didn't pay attention at all. I live in California, the highway are like trash oasis. The folks at Caltran are lazys and don't believe in signs, you should always look ahead a little bit to ensure no construction or any obstacles.

Anyway, will I notice anything worse about AP2 that I didn't experience in AP1? The AP1 did everything I want the system to do, will I be disappointed in going to 2?

Sure, I am not blaming AP1 for that, it was probably not designed to change lanes in that scenario anyway. Just noting that AP1 religiously keeps to the lane markings (which ended up in a barrier in that case). AP2 is not that predictable.

@lunitiks I think AP1 is ignoring the free space... I think it follows the lines and the curvature - and any side-collission etc. detecion might be solely on the ultrasonics?

Why AP1 is so consistent is because MobilEye EyeQ3 is so consistent with understanding a lane. AP2's Tesla NN, not so much.

Loving this as I enjoy my gorgeous, faultless AP1 car which was so much cheaper than an AP2 car - wow what a bargain I got! (Writing this as my lovely car drives me smoothly to my destination - oh - what was that? ahh my auto wipers cleraning the windscreen x

Now THAT's just cruel. And the auto-wipers below the belt... :D

Those of you sufferings fatigue trying to defend Elon’s AP2 statements and subsequent software rollout may want to head over to the ‘AEB disabled because we changed radar sensors and didn’t bother to get the software ready’ thread.

You could go double or nothing!

#misrupt

• Funny
Reactions: wk057 and NerdUno
Two obvious options: contact/file a complaint with the FTC and contact the law firm handling the EAP/FSD class action.

Further, I'd try to deal with Fremont and not regional anything. Regional sales is still sales staff full of salespeople who have ascended by virtue of selling or bro-dom. They might have come from the Olive Garden into DS into OA roles. You need to try to deal with business people. This isn't to impugn salespeople: sales is still a talent and a skill. It's just not what you need to be dealing with on this matter, which is ultimately a legal one.

@Walta Would you feel comfortable sharing a corporate contact with @tldavis11 ?
Sorry. Have been offline of this forum for quite a while. The contact I found most helpful was when I went higher up the ladder and started dealing with regional level customer support. Instead of the people at the tesla service area. With the most prevalent contact being with CDSP being I am from CA.

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades