Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 hardware and toll transponders (E-ZPass)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prior to the AP2 hardware, there was a small spot to the right of the rear view mirror and camera housing where you could place a toll transponder. I just got my P90D this week with the new hardware and it appears this spot is gone. Where should I place it now?

For reference, here's what the camera housing looks like now from the outside:

IMG_7629.JPG

I have to have an RFID label applied to the interior of my windshield in order to access the garage at my office (no other way in). I also have to have a separate label for my "Peach Pass" which is the equivalent of the E-Z pass. They are similar in size (about the size of a playing card). Is there room for both on the windshield in a place that they will work?

I have to have an RFID label applied to the interior of my windshield in order to access the garage at my office (no other way in). I also have to have a separate label for my "Peach Pass" which is the equivalent of the E-Z pass. They are similar in size (about the size of a playing card). Is there room for both on the windshield in a place that they will work?

I'm also in GA, so facing a similar problem. I have both an E-ZPass (for trips up north) and PeachPass (for local traffic). I also don't have a front plate, so there isn't a place to put an external transponder.

I wonder about placing it in the well next to the windshield wipers. If it's waterproof, that should work. The sticker tag from Peach Pass should definitely be, so it's just a matter of if the E-ZPass can work there. Worth a shot...

Prior to the AP2 hardware, there was a small spot to the right of the rear view mirror and camera housing where you could place a toll transponder. I just got my P90D this week with the new hardware and it appears this spot is gone. Where should I place it now?

For reference, here's what the camera housing looks like now from the outside:

View attachment 203488
I don't know if they are comparable but in the Bay Area we have FasTrak and I place mine on top of my parcel shelf when I need to use it then take it off right afterwards. I had it under the parcel shelf but it fell off after about a week. So if you have a better mounting method or use stickier tape, it may hold under the parcel shelf. I have yet not register a valid toll when passing through.

Pardon if this is unworkable now, but I put mine on the steel bumper behind the nosecone. I was able to reach this area easily by pulling the frunk seal and frunk liner out. I would imagine that one could reach this the same way with the refresh.

I used velcro tape. You can't see it. It always works. Unless you gotta move it car to car, it's a pretty good place to put it.

The suggestions for EZ-Pass are interesting, but what are people doing with RFID tags that have to be mounted on the inside of the windshield or they just won't work? The scanners in my office building are extremely picky, and they just don't work anywhere but right in the center of your windshield. There is no other way into the garage either (no human or manual way to open the gate).

Pardon if this is unworkable now, but I put mine on the steel bumper behind the nosecone. I was able to reach this area easily by pulling the frunk seal and frunk liner out. I would imagine that one could reach this the same way with the refresh.

I used velcro tape. You can't see it. It always works. Unless you gotta move it car to car, it's a pretty good place to put it.

Can you show us what it looks like mounted there? Thanks

My MS P90D with AP2 was also delivered on Friday (12/9) and similar to Timdorr, the tag is not being read (and I actually slowed down through he toll booth.

While I do have a front license plate, I do not want to mount the transponder there. It's exposed and I don't like how it looks. I can't put the transponder in the rear window now that its tinted. I've tried placing it in the space the DS (and others here on the forum have suggested, but it did not work).

I have not tried to place it on the dash or lower it on the windshield yet. I'll be going into work and will have some opportunities to experiment. Thanks.