Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

AP2 Owners ONLY -- FSD only or MCU2?

• FSD Only

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • MCU2

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a call from my service center about an hour ago to schedule a mobile repair for a few items on my due bill when I picked up my car a few weeks ago. He is reading them off and then says they are also upgrading my autopilot computer during this install. I was told a few weeks ago this wasnt happening yet after I logged request for HW2-HW3 and MCU2 upgrade so was very surprised.

They sent me the invoice to approve and the part number on there is "ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-G)"

From my searching this seems like the wrong part and is for HW 2.5 cars so I am definitely asking the mobile tech about it before he starts taking my car apart. I am pretty sure I will not be getting it yet but will report back.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I got a call from my service center about an hour ago to schedule a mobile repair for a few items on my due bill when I picked up my car a few weeks ago. He is reading them off and then says they are also upgrading my autopilot computer during this install. I was told a few weeks ago this wasnt happening yet after I logged request for HW2-HW3 and MCU2 upgrade so was very surprised.

They sent me the invoice to approve and the part number on there is "ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-G)"

From my searching this seems like the wrong part and is for HW 2.5 cars so I am definitely asking the mobile tech about it before he starts taking my car apart. I am pretty sure I will not be getting it yet but will report back.

Interesting! Good luck!

My apologies for any confusion - I now believe my X had HW2.5, rather than HW2 as I reported above. I had checked the versions on both of our cars a few months ago and felt confident the X had HW2 and mentioned that in correspondence with Tesla. (In fact that's why I waited longer to request the HW3 update for the X than I did our 3, which also had HW2.5). But the X was built in Dec 2017 and it looks like HW2.5 came out around Oct 2017, so while I can't find any documentation I assume my memory is faulty.

My apologies for any confusion - I now believe my X had HW2.5, rather than HW2 as I reported above. I had checked the versions on both of our cars a few months ago and felt confident the X had HW2 and mentioned that in correspondence with Tesla. (In fact that's why I waited longer to request the HW3 update for the X than I did our 3, which also had HW2.5). But the X was built in Dec 2017 and it looks like HW2.5 came out around Oct 2017, so while I can't find any documentation I assume my memory is faulty.

So, to clarify, we're back to zero official (non-accidental) upgrades on MCU1/AP2 -->MCU1/AP3 upgrades, right?

I am just wondering. If MCU1/HW2.0 upgrade to MCU1/HW3 will have the same result as MCU1/HW2.5 to MCU1/HW3.

Since HW2.5 has Dashcam/sentrymode recording I assume that will keep it when they upgrade to HW3. They than have MCU1/HW3.

If MCU1/HW2.0 upgrades to MCU1/HW3 than they will have also the same Dashcam and sentrymode recording assuming there is no difference in MCU1.

It's officially scheduling time for HW2! Full Self-Driving Computer Installations
scheduling ap2.png

Update. Mobile tech came out and said the part they had was compatible with HW2 upgrade. Upon removing glovebox and some trim realized there is an additional cable/harness required for the HW2 version as the connectors are on the other side and require longer cable. He had service center look but none were in stock so they are ordering that part and then will come back out and try again.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and croman
Update. Mobile tech came out and said the part they had was compatible with HW2 upgrade. Upon removing glovebox and some trim realized there is an additional cable/harness required for the HW2 version as the connectors are on the other side and require longer cable. He had service center look but none were in stock so they are ordering that part and then will come back out and try again.

Those are the cables to reroute the backup camera. That's pretty straightforward.

I have a 17MS 75D. Purchased FSD last year. Requested Infotainment upgrade appointment yesterday in the app, and boom, appt scheduled for 6/9 to get HW3 and FSD. Stoked to pick up my "new" car at the end of the day on 6/9. Tesla is the best.