Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 - Snow radar failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But to take a step back: I do think it is possible some of this is just software. More robust winter testing might allow Tesla to adjust their radar software in future updates to better account for snow. I'm not trying to sound hopeful, more like trying to cover all the bases. It seem possible. That said, I'm just wildly speculating - I have no insight into this.

FWIW I have it from a trusted source with real contacts inside Tesla that AR does own a Model X and that Tesla knows who he is. If you have seen my posts at all you know I locked horns frequently with him but I will say I believe he owns a Tesla based on the credibility of my source.

Am I the only one bothered by this employee breaking Tesla customer privacy this way by discussing the owner status of forum participants with third parties? I know Tesla reads the forums and sometimes reaches out to owners if they are having an issue. But at least they contact the owner directly so there is no privacy violation. Here the employee chooses to share information about someone else. Not cool. (Unless AR gave consent of course)

Reactions: croman and oktane
Am I the only one bothered by this employee breaking Tesla customer privacy this way by discussing the owner status of forum participants with third parties? I know Tesla reads the forums and sometimes reaches out to owners if they are having an issue. But at least they contact the owner directly so there is no privacy violation. Here the employee chooses to share information about someone else. Not cool. (Unless AR gave consent of course)

Well, that @calisnow is probably banned now because he took that sort of thing too far... If someone doesn't feel comfortable disclosing info on themselves, it is what it is, the internet is a weird place and you can't blame people for that sort of thing (this likely doesn't apply to Bladerskb of course because it's an insult fest whenever there is a post). meanwhile, I'm happy to keep posting incrimiminating videos of myself driving in the snow... which is likely to come back to haunt me when I apply to my career at Uber when they've seen that my latest video sucks.

AFAIK Tesla only confirmed I'm real based on my self-posted reservation number, to someone with contacts, long long time ago, nothing more. I'm personally OK with that specific old scenario and circumstance. :) In general I agree customers need to remain private of course.

More importantly I think Tesla's tendency or even eagerness to discuss customer logs with press has IMO been troubling in crash incidents. That is something I think Tesla might be wise to rethink. Privacy is one thing, but a car company eager to take a side and a public stance on your crash might become a real legal and financial issue to customers, endangering legal defences etc... At some point customers may start noticing.

Last edited:
I remember how on a return trip from the Alps AP wouldn't want to engage. After 50km or so, I pulled over and noticed indeed a heap of ice/snow covering the radar (AP1/pre-refresh). It may have to become part of our future ritual to check that if we want to use EAP and/or (whenever it comes) FSD. A bit like the pre-takeoff checklists aviators need to use every time.

I remember how on a return trip from the Alps AP wouldn't want to engage. After 50km or so, I pulled over and noticed indeed a heap of ice/snow covering the radar (AP1/pre-refresh). It may have to become part of our future ritual to check that if we want to use EAP and/or (whenever it comes) FSD. A bit like the pre-takeoff checklists aviators need to use every time.

I think the problem here is worse, though. AP1 Model S has an exposed radar able to heat its cover. There the problem is more about getting started for the day. With AP2 (and Model X AP1) cleaning the bumper does not help as much because the snow comes back during driving and there is no way to heat the bumper behind which the radar sits.

Hopefully Tesla can address this through software.

• Funny
Reactions: BigD0g
Also, the lack of snow testing of AP2 gives the snow traction lawsuit referenced in a different thread more credibility.

This tunnel would have exposed this vulnerability for radar:

Look @oktane we know you hate Tesla, and okay so Mercedes has their fancy Kaltkanal, but please don't make it sound like Tesla does not have its own cold weather testing facilities too.

Tesla is a bit secretive, so no fancy YouTubes, but someone did manage to sneak a photo where Tesla tests AP2 radar. Pedestrian tests in cold weather ongoing:

woman-standing-bikini-sandy-windy-beach-cold-rodeo-marin-california-72423529.jpg

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: oktane and croman
When a member is banned, it's mentioned on their profile page. In the case of @calisnow it does indeed say he is banned. No clue why. I didn't take offense with @calisnow discussing another forum member but more with the Tesla employee sharing information.

I think I remember from another thread that @calisnow is not actually banned. It's a joke on his part. You can have any text show up in that field by editing your preferences. Although, I thought it used to say "Banned for Life" unless I'm thinking of somebody else.

Reactions: schonelucht
@calisnow is banned? Is this fact or theory? He was on the forums 53min ago...
Not sure...
Or use a wiper in front of the radar perhaps? :)
Similar to these headlamp wipers:
View attachment 266678
I do think this is a likely scenario at some point, at least for the most important cameras and radar... I'd like to see them model some sort of equivalent to blinking where maybe the camera sits inside a half glass ball and rotates to pry off debris... I'm sure they've thought of this idea before, but still would be interesting.