Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appears Model 3 may not offer heated rear seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But where does it end? This is your "simple" button, then we get other's simple buttons, and soon we have this:
Giving a rear seat passenger a single button so they have direct personal control over their bum warmer really has little to do with whether the interior design for the front driver and passenger should use dozens of different physical buttons.

A better argument for not having separate physical buttons for rear seat passengers would be to give them their own smaller center touch screen but that’s probably not cost effective.

Forcing passengers to use voice commands (either to a computer or to a human in the front row) seems like overkill when a simple button, dedicated mechanical or on a touch sensitive screen, would do the trick.

Eliminating buttons is not always better. These days you could plausibly remove the entire keyboard from a laptop and force everyone to use voice recognition to give commands or compose messages but doing so actually would make using the laptop more complicated and tiring even though you would be eliminating dozens of buttons.

Reactions: jsmay311
For those liking to adjust (i.e. 3 initially then perhaps change to 2 or even 1 after warming up) it sounds like voice controls would work well.

tweet.jpg

LhmoyMt.jpg

Hey did Elon tweet this graphic for heated seats based on the ultimate app's screen look for the Model 3 or is it taken from the Model S? Reason I ask is because the side tabs shows "Sunroof". I really would love to order a Model 3 with sunroof.

Not to me. More buttons like that Bolt make it look cluttered to me, and are more prone to failure -- just like the button for our back seat Leaf heaters. But it's no surprise to me that Bolt and Leaf designers did it this way, and Tesla does it on screen. What you see as "simple", I see as defeating the minimalist purpose.

But where does it end? This is your "simple" button, then we get other's simple buttons, and soon we have this:

View attachment 274843

Sorry, but Tesla decided "no" to most "simple" buttons (because they can't favour your simple button over others) so you will need to adapt. You might have already had to reluctantly do that if you had a blackberry phone with buttons.

I just hope I can control most things with the scroll buttons on the steering wheel on the 3, since I find that great with the S.
Looks like a spaceship interior!
31861D5000000578-3462708-image-a-31_1456349093412.jpg

Hey did Elon tweet this graphic for heated seats based on the ultimate app's screen look for the Model 3 or is it taken from the Model S? Reason I ask is because the side tabs shows "Sunroof". I really would love to order a Model 3 with sunroof.
I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. That is a Model *S* graphic to turn on the heated seats. I was just showing how it looked and that the middle seat was available on it's heating controls.

Aside: Went out to eat dinner with friends and I drover our X. It was a trivial matter to adjust there seats upon entry to the car before we left to go there and then after we got in once we left the restaurant.

Reactions: SMAlset
It sounds like it will have heated rear seats once they get the software written. But I agree with a poster above that the bigger issue for me is no heated steering wheel. I never had one before my X but am amazed how much I appreciate it.

I am sure the software team is busy and all....but how frickin long does it take to enable some damn resisters already? It just doesn't speak very well for Tesla's capacity if things like this take so long.... Feels like the community is asking for 10 things for every 1 that Tesla delivers. As cool as "more cow bell" is (and I do find it very funny) how can you justify these Easter eggs with so much still incomplete?

Reactions: jsrawa
I think the writing is on the wall. If I recall correctly TSportline didn't see heated seat elements when recovering the seats, it's not mentioned in the manual and lets be honest, how difficult could it really be to add code to the UI to activate hardware in the car? Initially the 3 had no radio, seems more complex to make this work when compared to a simple on/off switch in the UI. Not to mention I think most would prefer to have heated rear seats over FM radio functionality when compared to the many of other ways to listen to media.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I think the writing is on the wall. If I recall correctly TSportline didn't see heated seat elements when recovering the seats, it's not mentioned in the manual and lets be honest, how difficult could it really be to add code to the UI to activate hardware in the car? Initially the 3 had no radio, seems more complex to make this work when compared to a simple on/off switch in the UI. Not to mention I think most would prefer to have heated rear seats over FM radio functionality when compared to the many of other ways to listen to media.

Tesla has specifically said that the rear seats are heated. As far as the UI, they haven't added the UI to select a WiFi network either.

I think most would prefer to have heated rear seats over FM radio functionality when compared to the many of other ways to listen to media.
I don't doubt you've estimated accurately, but I have to lodge a personal "disagree": Not old folks with no kids who live in a generally warm climate. Maybe if FSD someday allows me to sleep in the back seat while driving....

Tesla has specifically said that the rear seats are heated. As far as the UI, they haven't added the UI to select a WiFi network either.
Where is/was this stated? Would like the reference before revisionist history might set in... ;)

I can’t see any connections or heater elements in the rear seats and I suspect the image in this post is not from a 3: Appears Model 3 may not offer heated rear seats

Where is/was this stated? Would like the reference before revisionist history might set in... ;)

It was part of Alcantaragate and was in this post.

Hello Eric,

As we continue to increase production of Model 3 and produce more high quality cars for customers, all Model 3 vehicles are being made with the same premium textile headliner found in our flagship Model S and Model X vehicles, which has always been planned at this stage of production. The Model 3 is a great car, and the premium package (PUP) retains premium finishes throughout the cabin, and benefits from a variety of other functional enhancements including premium audio, upgraded side mirrors, and heated front and rear seats.

This is the product that we are making going forward, and we did not communicate that customers would receive a specific material. We made this transition in S/X some time ago, and have been referring to this material as a Premium Headliner in those vehicles.The current material is also a premium headliner, but with a different texture, where durability has remain unchanged, and this is our product that we stand behind.

I hope this helps clear things up for you, and my apologies if it was not the exact response you desired. Thank you for being part of our growing Tesla family!

I can’t see any connections or heater elements in the rear seats and I suspect the image in this post is not from a 3: Appears Model 3 may not offer heated rear seats

As far as connections, you know there are some because it has occupancy sensors for the seatbelts...

It was part of Alcantaragate and was in this post.

As far as connections, you know there are some because it has occupancy sensors for the seatbelts...

Thanks Mike.

Mine is more that I cannot see the cabling I’d expect for the heating elements. I looked as best I could, and there’s a few thin feed wires though was expecting something more extensive for the heater elements... didn’t want to try pulling out seat completely as doesn’t look like same way S rear bench is attached (though could likely be wrong ;-))

Those thin wires are more likely for the pressure sensors to determine if rear seat occupants are belted in, or not. Those only need to supply a signal to indicate if someone is in the seat.

Still disappointed that heated rear seats are available in Hyundai's entry level cars (IIRC), yet Tesla fails to make them available in the Model 3?

Unsat, but easily fixed if they'll get around to it.

Reactions: MikeBur
Manual update, page 21, seems pretty clear: https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

“Seat Heaters
The front seats are equipped with heating
pads that operate at three levels from 3
(highest) to 1 (lowest). To operate the seat
heaters, see Climate Controls on page 86.”

No mention of rest an the language isn’t vague. Same with page 86.

“The front seater heaters operate at three setting levels from 3 (highest) to 1 (lowest). When operating, the seat icon turns red and displays the setting level number using twisting red lines.”

Still hoping they are there but looking less and less likely.

• Disagree

Why don't you get in your car or someone else's. Wait...You haven't even seen one yet... Why would you suggest I would post a false picture? Pretty sure it was a 3. Along with the other photos I have taken of my car.Screenshot_20180206-084635.png

Last edited: