Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music integration…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
I know there’s pretty much zero chance of CarPlay being made available, however there’s been the odd rumour or hint that Apple Music could be added as a music source, alongside Spotify, Tidal, etc.

It appears Apple is pushing ahead with Apple Music only integrations, so I wonder whether we might be one step closer? Spatial Audio support wold be pretty nifty, too.

I don’t currently pay for Premium Connectivity, however if they added this with a PC requirement it could tip the scales.

Reactions: Stach
There has been evidence of Apple Music integration already in the UI for a very long time, for almost as long as there was (in this case confirmed by an EM tweet) Tidal integration, and that took ages to see the light of day.

I'm guessing that if it was a similar state of readiness as Tidal was, it would possibly relatively straight forward to enable if it was not for commercial implications... That took long enough for Tidal let alone with a provider that has their fingers in many pies including some that are potentially in a similar game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple were taking the attitude if that if someone wants Apple Music in the car they took the whole package, and Tesla have made it quite clear in the past that that is not something they were willing to do. But if a third party Tesla store app offering came along, it may be different story.

imho.

I very much doubt that we'll see anything Apple related in the car, simply because Elon seems to feel like he's had his nose put out of joint by Tim Cook in the past, and his shadow looms large over car development.

I would note that neither Spotify nor TIDAL in the car look anything like their desktop or mobile app counterparts. They are Tesla "themed", with Tesla fonts, design language, etc. Both companies it would appear are accepting of that sacrifice in order to get access to Tesla drivers.

It could be (and I suspect would be - given their clout) that Apple are intolerant of that, and want what would effectively be an encapsulated fully branded app - like Netflix, or Disney+ is in Theatre, which Tesla aren't happy with.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple were taking the attitude if that if someone wants Apple Music in the car they took the whole package
Sounds like a load of rubbish, Apple literally provide an API for Apple Music that anyone can use. I’m using it myself to try and build a player I can use via the browser.

MusicKit - Apple Developer

It’s all down to Tesla and nothing to do with Apple.

I would assume so
Interesting...That means means I would have to pay for a subscription to in order to get access to another subscription (that I already pay to apple on a family share)...and to top it off I would have to pay two premium subscriptions being that we have two teslas...I might have more money than sense but its not a correlation of being a mug.

Interesting...That means means I would have to pay for a subscription to in order to get access to another subscription (that I already pay to apple on a family share)...and to top it off I would have to pay two premium subscriptions being that we have two teslas...I might have more money than sense but its not a correlation of being a mug.
You’ll only need an Apple Music subscription, but you’d have to tether off your phone - the same as with TIDAL - if you want to listen to it on the move. You don’t get cellular streaming on anything without Premium Connectivity.

Spotify is an outlier in so much as you actually get access to a functional communal Spotify account if you subscribe to Premium Connectivity.

• Informative
Reactions: Js1977
When does the holiday update typically get released?
It’s been Xmas day on a few occasions we have been offered it.

It’s often just an enabling push so very small. The actual release often gets pushed well before so as to not have a big Xmas download spike, but functionality is turned off until the ‘big reveal’ on Xmas day.

Not sure if that’s what is going on with 2022.40.4.x and single stack. A few lose ends still seem to need tidying so 2022.40.4.1 may not be the final enabler but 2022.40.4.x still currently has all the hallmarks to be it. Not unusual for an Xmas release to be quickly followed by a few more though.

Last edited:
Curious wording. So does that mean it may work via mobile tethering? It’s not very clear. I guess we’ll just have to wait to find out.

One thing I do hope they do is make the logins linked to driver profiles. I believe they do this with the other services, so hopefully it’s in hand. But then, radio stations aren’t profile specific, so you never know with Tesla! 🤪

Curious wording. So does that mean it may work via mobile tethering? It’s not very clear. I guess we’ll just have to wait to find out.

One thing I do hope they do is make the logins linked to driver profiles. I believe they do this with the other services, so hopefully it’s in hand. But then, radio stations aren’t profile specific, so you never know with Tesla! 🤪

Its not really curious.

1. The Apple Music subscription will not be included.
2. The facility to play music from your own Apple music sub is included.
3. Content downloaded on your device will play without premium connectivity
4. Premium Connectivity will allow you to play from cloud.
5. Tethering your device as hotspot will allow same.

So what is being released is the ability to control your existing Apple music from the car's display.. Thats it.