Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appropriate compensation for dust nibs / grittiness in the paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - Long time lurker, first time poster. Be gentle. I recently dropped off my Model 3 at the local service center to have dust nibs / grittiness in the paint taken care of. They originally thought they could take care them with just a thorough detail, but it turns out they have to take it to a body shop. But because the body shop they use is completely backed up, they offered to instead compensate me some other way. They mentioned giving me a wall charger, car cover, free set of wheels, etc. as ideas. Do any of you have any ideas for what would be appropriate compensation for this issue? To give you some sense for the magnitude, there's a good amount of grittiness in the paint, but it's pretty much all in the door jambs, so almost entirely out-of-sight. But, there's some in every door jamb. Thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies and help, folks. I really appreciate it. I just don't have a good sense for what this kind of fix would normally cost and don't want to get screwed over. They did say I could push forward with the fix, but it would just take a while before they could fit me in.

I would show pictures, but the car's still at the service center, so I'm not able to take them.

I rejected my original vin for a similar issue on the front bumper. They did not offer me any compensation but offered to have it repainted. However it would have taken longer for the body shop to repaint the car than it took for a vin rematch.

I can tell you that I had a few body/paint issues and the body shop did a great job. But, have a few new issues now after it returned from the shop. Nothing major but now I have to return once again to the SC. If it was me I’d just let them repair whatever issues you have rather than receive goods.

Reactions: P85_DA
I'll spare you my saga so I don't scare rainforst again, but I will say that service can be a real crap shoot as well as who they contract body work out to. I am sure most times you will get a good result, just wanted to weight in that every now and then they will legit fubar the car you have waited 2 years for as well as keep it for a long time in conditions that are not your garage.

It really depends on how severe your issues are and how much rework they would have to do to value it. Refinishing and blending all door jambs wouldn't be a cheap job. You could also take it to a good body shop and get an estimate for what you point out to them. Have you really given your car a critical eye panel by panel in appropriate lighting to make sure there are no other issues? I am very detail oriented and I missed some fish eye patches even after several washings just due to improper lighting. Extended service would be good to ask for but there are no extended service plans yet. Perhaps the cost of a full wrap. Not sure how much you would really benefit from a set of rims in the long run.

I'm interested to see photos of your car. I also have an appointment for dust nibs and what appears to be small areas that paint was not fully applied and are under the clear coat. I was not offered any compensation...but now thinking I should be? When I picked up the car it wasn't washed so we had to have them wipe it down (it was full of composite, scratches on the hood and around door handles, and many paint nibs). A part of me thinks I should have rejected the car, but they weren't MAJOR paint issues to the eye.

Did they originally offer compensation or did you negotiate? Please post pics if you have them!

My dust nibs had to be sanded out by the body shop and the front bumper and frunk lid repainted. Dust nibs in the paint can't be polished out, and PPF exaggerates the defect, so I had them fixed. Tesla and body shop did a great job... great color match, no overspray, no repair report (Carfax), full paint warranty, and expedited repairs.

I didn't want another VIN, as car was flawless otherwise, and new VIN or new parts was 4 weeks.

If you can get repairs and compensation that would be best, as repainting new cars can depreciate resale value.

Good Luck, and it's a great car, so hang in there.

OP - take the car to a reputable body shop in your area. Doesn't have to be Tesla approved. Ask them how much to address the problems you are concerned about. There is no Tesla body shop magic in paint.

That would give you a number on what it would cost if you did eventually decide to fix it... and thus a baseline for what to request.

I have my car going into a Tesla certified body shop Monday for a small paint smudge and a clump. They are repainting a quarter panel and A pillar. I would have gladly traded those small issues for a new set of wheels or upgrade from Autopilot to FSD.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and help, all. I picked up my car today and am still undecided about what to do. I'm now leaning towards having them try to address the issue.

And for those who asked, here are some pictures of the worst spot. It is very difficult to get a picture that shows the issue well.

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpg
    IMG_2770.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 290
Thanks again for all the thoughts and help, all. I picked up my car today and am still undecided about what to do. I'm now leaning towards having them try to address the issue.

And for those who asked, here are some pictures of the worst spot. It is very difficult to get a picture that shows the issue well.

Are you referring to that nib near the latch? I wouldn't bother with that because it is on the inside of the door and not on the exterior.