Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

April 2 website update: Did pricing go up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before today's update, if you priced out a configuration, they always listed "Tesla Personal Delivery - $990" and "Final Inspection, Prep, and Coordination - $180" as separate line items at the end of the configuration box. After today's update, those two line items don't show up in that configuration box at all. But the final price of my configuration is exactly the same. So my first thought was that they just included that $1170 in the base price, and just didn't show the separate line items.

But, if you go to the Options & Pricing section of the website, in the fine print at the bottom of the page, it specifically says "Prices do not include Tesla Personal Delivery, Final Inspection, Prep and Coordination fee, taxes, license and title fees, or regionally required equipment, service, and charges.". So it seems to me that my pricing, which used to include that $990+$180, now no longer does, and it'll be a separate charge on top of what the configuration page shows. In essence, the price just went up by $1170 by removing two items that were included in the previous pricing (and adding them separately), while making the price on the configuration page appear the same.

Am I missing something?

I don't think you're missing anything, but Tesla's website tends to be not very well vetted. Expect a couple of rounds of changes before it settles down.

Um, OK?... does that mean they're having a shortage of reservations? I don't see why the deposit would drop; anyone buying this car needs to be able to come up with a lot of money.
I read it as two things: (1) making it available to a broader class of potential customers (i.e. shrinking a hurdle/barrier to entry) and (2) they are better off financially so they don't require the assistance in cash-on-hand that a higher deposit brought.

I read it as two things: (1) making it available to a broader class of potential customers (i.e. shrinking a hurdle/barrier to entry) and (2) they are better off financially so they don't require the assistance in cash-on-hand that a higher deposit brought.

I also believe Elon said in the last conference call that they may do away w/ the reservation deposit altogether partly b/c of the credit card fees that Tesla had to pay. This, I guess, is halfway there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, the impression I got from Elon's comments during the earnings call about the lower reservation amount was due more to not needing the capital more than lowering the barrier to entry. Granted he didn't specifically say that but he talked more about not needing the capital.

I need to talk to my loan rep at Alliant in the next few days once this change rolls out to see how that affects their financing at 100%.

Still waiting to reserve though until the EU options introduced are available on the US Model S's...

Jeff