Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aptera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like Aptera is trying to make a comeback 10 years later, paging @KarenRei!

Aptera Is Back, Baby! New, Improved Electric Car Will Have 1,000 Mile Range | CleanTechnica

The efficiency is awesome, but the shape required to obtain it puts this squarely in the "weirdmobile" status for me. I'm plenty happy with my Model 3. And I can't fathom where they'd fit 100kWh worth of batteries in it. I'm thinking that the 1000 mile range is just a "what could be" scenario given the pack of a (much larger) Model S.
About the sane size as a Prius; ( Lenght 177in., Width 88in. Height 57in.) wider and taller then a Tesla model S and Model 3. Just comparing overall size. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m keeping an eye out on the Aptera development, seeing them announce various stages of development. What’s the latest estimate on first customer deliveries?
Somewhere between late 2023 and never.

Latest news is they still need significant more funding to pay for building their production line. That takes time (and money, obviously).

I believe Chris Anthony said it would take ~9 months from the time they've raised enough funds until the start of production. And they're still working on finalizing the production design of the vehicle right now, expecting that to be done by end of 2022.

So that 9 months where the "late 2023" comes from. And the "never" is if they can't scrounge up the necessary $$$.

Unfortunately it does not qualify, all 2 - 3 wheeled vehicles are exempt from the new bill, so Aptera and Arcimoto lost out. :(

Do you happen to have a link to more info regarding three-wheelers applicable yes or no?

To the best of my knowledge, the IRA didn't make any change to how 2- and 3-wheeled EVs are treated. (You can find the full text here and search for the word "wheel", and the only mentions are in a section about chargers.)

Under existing law, 2- and 3-wheeled EVs already did not qualify for federal tax credits since Jan 1, 2022. Previously, they both qualified for a smaller up-to-$2500 credit during 2012-2013, and then plug-in 2-wheelers got it re-upped for 2015-2021.

The exact text can be found here: 26 U.S. Code § 30D - Clean vehicle credit Here are some relevant excerpts...

This one pertains to what vehicles qualified for the main "$7500" credit that many people were already familiar with:
(2) Motor vehicle
The term “motor vehicle” means any vehicle which is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways (not including a vehicle operated exclusively on a rail or rails) and which has at least 4 wheels.

Later there were amendments made to add a separate, smaller credit for 2- and 3-wheeled EVs:
(g) Credit allowed for 2- and 3-wheeled plug-in electric vehicles
(1) In general, In the case of a qualified 2- or 3-wheeled plug-in electric vehicle—
(A) there shall be allowed as a credit against the tax imposed by this chapter for the taxable year an amount equal to the sum of the applicable amount with respect to each such qualified 2- or 3-wheeled plug-in electric vehicle placed in service by the taxpayer during the taxable year, and
(B) the amount of the credit allowed under subparagraph (A) shall be treated as a credit allowed under subsection (a).
(2) Applicable amountFor purposes of paragraph (1), the applicable amount is an amount equal to the lesser of—
(A) 10 percent of the cost of the qualified 2- or 3-wheeled plug-in electric vehicle, or
(B) $2,500.
(3) Qualified 2- or 3-wheeled plug-in electric vehicleThe term “qualified 2- or 3-wheeled plug-in electric vehicle” means any vehicle which—
(A) has 2 or 3 wheels,
(B) meets the requirements of subparagraphs (A), (B), (C), (E), and (F) of subsection (d)(1) (determined by substituting “2.5 kilowatt hours” for “4 kilowatt hours” in subparagraph (F)(i)),
(C) is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways,
(D) is capable of achieving a speed of 45 miles per hour or greater, and
(E) is acquired—
(i) after December 31, 2011, and before January 1, 2014, or
(ii) in the case of a vehicle that has 2 wheels, after December 31, 2014, and before January 1, 2022.

The most relevant bit of the above excerpt is at the very bottom, so I'll quote it again below for clarity. It shows that 2- and 3-wheeled plug-in vehicles only qualified between Dec 31, 2011 and Jan 1, 2014, and then 2-wheeled vehicles got a second window between Dec 31, 2014 and Jan 1, 2022.
(E) is acquired—
(i) after December 31, 2011, and before January 1, 2014, or
(ii) in the case of a vehicle that has 2 wheels, after December 31, 2014, and before January 1, 2022.

Last edited:
It seems Aptera is designed for young slender healthy beautiful people.

Speaking of the devil ....

It is great that Sandy Munro was backing Aptera, however the company
seems struggling for getting enough funding to start a production line.

The coming Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) don't have provisions for two or three wheel vehicles,
so with a starting price of $26k and the IRA providing up to $7k discount,
the Aptera would be sold at the same price than a ($26 + $7k) = $31k EV.

Otherwise the IRA would had been a great help for Aptera in this difficult time for getting new founders investors.

The coming Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) don't have provisions for two or three wheel vehicles,
so with a starting price of $26k and the IRA providing up to $7k discount,
the Aptera would be sold at the same price than a ($26 + $7k) = $31k EV.

Otherwise the IRA would had been a great help for Aptera in this difficult time for getting new founders investors.

No EV is likely going to qualify for the full $7500 tax credit for at least a year or three. And no imports are going to qualify for a single cent ever. So the disparity isn’t quite as big as it seems.

I hope the Aptera excels in range, because as a space-efficient package of carrying just two passengers it fails.
Aptera width 88 inches.

1670997392756.jpeg

I hope the Aptera excels in range, because as a space-efficient package of carrying just two passengers it fails.
Aptera width 88 inches.

View attachment 884806

In the US/Canada the width is irrelevant because it fits the roads.

It is not heavy or inefficient. That is the implicit problem with wide cars.

The 400 mile range vehicles will be efficient and 250 mile range vehicles even more so. According to Aptera most are reserving the 400 mile version. It is rare that people carry more than one passenger.

If that is you then you need a conventional BEV. Aptera doesn't plan to sell 10M units a year. They plan micro factories with low volume breakeven points.

For 1 or 2 person households that don't have a person that is morbidly obese or has mobility issues these should be excellent vehicles. Especially 2+ vehicle households where the other vehicle(s) can be a more conventional BEV.