Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are all Model 3 fenders unpainted just inside the door hinge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Open your driver's door, look forward into the gap, is your inside fender panel painted? Tesla tells me every Model 3 is like this, because they 'spray' their doors rather than 'dip' them. Is this true? If not, how do I force Tesla to just paint the damn thing?

I can't stop seeing this now every time I get in the car - it's really left me with a bad taste in my mouth about Tesla. Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_2007.jpeg
    IMG_2007.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 444
Mine is like this, I only see that from outside the door. 100% of the time when I'm opening the door, I'm on the other side. The other side is painted on mine. It's only not painted on that outer edge.

It's still sealed so I'm not worried about corrosion or anything like that.

Why is it necessary to paint that section though in your opinion?
Wow, I appreciate the kind way you phrased that...

It's because I see it when I get in the car, especially when it's sunny outside, and it's sunny a lot in Colorado. Plus it irks me that I waited 2-1/2 years for this car, paid twice as much as any car I've ever bought, and this just looks cheap.

Does anyone think I have any chance of Tesla painting this?

Wow, I appreciate the kind way you phrased that...

It's because I see it when I get in the car, especially when it's sunny outside, and it's sunny a lot in Colorado. Plus it irks me that I waited 2-1/2 years for this car, paid twice as much as any car I've ever bought, and this just looks cheap.

Does anyone think I have any chance of Tesla painting this?
Not sure if they will paint it or not, certainly worth asking. I'm in sunny CO as well, but doesn't bother me. I could see how it would bother some though, so I get it.

"attention to detail" its part of what customers that pay 6 figures for a car expect.

Every car I have owned is like this. It depends on the individual body/door shape and the color how obvious it is. But this is how it works when the body is painted with the doors on. (Which helps to ensure the color matches on the entire car.)

I wouldn't risk having them paint it. The color might not match, they might get overspray on the rest of the car, and/or the door might not line up as well afterwards. (I assume that the door would have to be taken off to properly paint it.) And when it comes down to it that portion isn't designed to be painted.

Every car I have owned is like this. It depends on the individual body/door shape and the color how obvious it is. But this is how it works when the body is painted with the doors on. (Which helps to ensure the color matches on the entire car.)

I wouldn't risk having them paint it. The color might not match, they might get overspray on the rest of the car, and/or the door might not line up as well afterwards. (I assume that the door would have to be taken off to properly paint it.) And when it comes down to it that portion isn't designed to be painted.

None of my Audi or BMW vehicles have been like this.

There are videos of other manufacturers cars going through paint shop with doors on... the robots actually twist into those areas and paint them.

Again I'll ask the question why it needs to be painted at all. Apparently it's just your preference. I'm betting there are other interior surfaces of body panels aren't painted either.

You'd prefer it to be painted and I get that.

I just checked my wife's hyundai to see if that's painted... That section is made of plastic in her Elantra.