Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are folks getting a car to use while their car in for service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OOOoooo a fanboy of Mr. overpromise and underdeliver. EVERY other luxury car dealer does loaners be they drive off the lot loaners or Enterprise loaners. But they dont have an obligation either, just a desire to practice customer service after the sale and garner customer loyalty to buy the brand. Tesla could care less once the sale is made.

HEY, Lets start a list.....

"we will take care of that after delivery"
"its with factory spec"
"it not related to what* is covered in the warranty" *Fill in the blank
"tech was unable to replicate fault"
"sound* was within normal range" *Fill in the blank
"aftermarket modifications (a phone charger*) could be the cause" *or fill in the blank
"That is a normal wear item, not covered"
"earliest we can see you (for your car being disabled) is 2 weeks"
You forgot “Incorrect tires/wheels”

Reactions: Altes
I'll take growing pains over living in NJ :))))))

I thought you weren't buying another Tesla due to your experience :) ? Sounds like you won't take growing pains.

what do you expect, pre-facelift S has the notorious MCU 1 failures going on, which cost thousands

To be fair, they lowered the cost to repair MCU1 emmc failures to $400-500. This issue also applies to Model X cars with MCU1.

They are not that great with panel fits, paint perfection, telephone chit chat and coddling.

Oof. Basic customer service is not coddling. The current state of Tesla CS is a disaster and gets worse everyday. Everything from the delivery experience to the service experience is terrible (company wide).

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I thought you weren't buying another Tesla due to your experience :) ? Sounds like you won't take growing pains.

To be fair, they lowered the cost to repair MCU1 emmc failures to $400-500. This issue also applies to Model X cars with MCU1.

Oof. Basic customer service is not coddling. The current state of Tesla CS is a disaster and gets worse everyday. Everything from the delivery experience to the service experience is terrible (company wide).
Should be zero if you’re still stuck with the old MCU1.

My FWD freaked out. Within an hour of requesting service thru the app, a tow truck showed up and took my MX to the SC. They offered Uber, and I declined saying I'm not getting into an Uber during Covid. They put me on a list that Friday and by Monday I had a white Model S loaner. It turns out my battery died, so the SC replaced it and 'updated firmware' as well as re-calibrated the FWD. So loaners are possible sometimes. They also remarked that I was so 'relaxed' in my dealings with them. Maybe that 'relaxed-ness' put me to the front of the loaner line? Maybe not.

Recent experience (April 2020) in NJ was loaner if car was due to be in service 48 hours or more, else Uber credits. More recent experience (August 2020) in Delaware for HW3/MCU 2 upgrade was an Enterprise Ice rental, paid by Tesla. Had the car 3 days actual work took a few hours from what my app told me. In fairness, Wilmington is relatively small compared to Paramus and Hillside SC. I was happy to have the rental, it allowed me to see just how spoiled I am with my MX.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Sorry to say, I’ve never bought my car for the bagels.

I guess that’s what $250 oil changes get you.

Our local Lexus dealer offers free car washes for Lexus owners one Sunday every month. The line backs up onto the highway. I can’t imagine spending 2 hours to save the $7, but hey - everyone values time differently.
We had an RX450h a few years ago and when we brought ours in they always had a fresh clean RX loaner for us. I wondered why their Lexus cafe was always busy and my service told me that because they always offer anytime complimentary wash and vacuuming they have 8-12 regular visitors meeting for free morning coffee and pastries. The Lexus cafe looked like a small Starbucks and even served Starbucks coffee. To be fair we did get bottled water at Tesla service but they have now cut back and only have half size bottles.

By me, none of the dealers regardless of the brand seems to have loaners anymore. They just have a van that will drive you home.
Today I‘m currently driving a 2020 Infiniti QX60 loaner for my Infiniti in service. We also own several BMW’s that my adult children drive and we have never had anything other than current year BMW loaners. We had Mercedes and Lexus cars until a couple years ago and had the same excellent loaners from them. I think the only companies that don’t give loaners are non luxury brands. Luxury car brands provide financial support for the loaner fleets and when the dealer sells the loaners as CPO vehicles they make a profit above regular retail new car sales. An individual Lux dealership may have a reason to not provide a loaner but it isn’t for a lack of financial support.

Last edited:
traditionally if you needed to drop off a car for service, you would have someone bring you home or to work. You could rent a car, or use another vehicle you might own or have access to.

Customers have little knowledge just how expensive it is for a service center to provide a huge fleet of courtesy vehicles for their customers.

With the complications, liability and risks currently with Covid, I imagine there are tremendous pressures to no longer coddle their customers with loaners.
Loaner fleets are supported by Luxury brands and generate additional profit as well goodwill with the customer. We have been in the auto dealership industry my entire life and this has always been the case, non luxury brands don’t offer the support.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Today I‘m currently driving a 2020 Infiniti QX60 loaner for my Infiniti in service. We also own several BMW’s that my adult children drive and we have never had anything other than current year BMW loaners. We had Mercedes and Lexus cars until a couple years ago and had the same excellent loaners from them. I think the only companies that don’t give loaners are non luxury brands. Luxury car brands provide financial support for the loaner fleets and when the dealer sells the loaners as CPO vehicles they make a profit above regular retail new car sales. An individual Lux dealership may have a reason to not provide a loaner but it isn’t for a lack of financial support.

Sure, my Cadillacs had something very similar. To be fair, the only thing I ever needed on either of my Caddy’s was routine maintenance - oil change and tire rotation. So I’d usually just wait for those. Once there was a CUE software update that was going to take a while - they offered me a loaner but I just asked if they could shuttle me home. I only live 10min away, work from home, and figured I’d save the loaner for someone who could really use it.

I treat my Tesla the same way. Same day work, a shuttle is fine (ie Uber). Beyond that, we’ll talk loaners but even then - I work from home so a day or two without my car isn’t a big deal.

I’m further now from my Tesla SC (25 mins) than any of my prior cars .... and it’s still not a big deal.

I guess I’m just a low maintenance customer (hopefully, like my 3 & X!)

When there were 75,000 Teslas on the road Loaners were generally available.
Now with over a million, loaners are a thing of the past.

Most SC don't even have enough lot space for end of quarter deliveries, much less a Tesla owned loaner fleet.

30 million cars in ten year. I assume the master plan is to simply ship repair parts to owners homes and we will all be Rich Rebuilds. Time to start brushing up on video editing skills and dry humor.