Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Tesla Trade In Offer Negotiable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got a quote from Tesla for my 2018 Model 3 last month before I order the MY. They gave me a $33,300 offer at the time which I'm fine with and I went ahead to complete all the delivery steps i.e. loan etc. Now I couldn't get delivery within 30 days and the offer have expired, the new offer I got is $30,400 for the same car with only ~1,000 miles more on the odometer.

Does anyone have any experience negotiating with Tesla for the trade in offer? or do they even open to negotiate at all?

That is strange, I got a quote of 35,900 for my m3 mid range. the first one expired and when i did it again yesterday i got the same amount, and I only put about the 1000 miles they "give" you

Finally got hold of a SA at my local SC and the message was loud and clear. Tesla does not negotiate. The "OFFER" is the "OFFER".
Just cancelled after 7 longs weeks of nothing. On the upside it did encourage me to sell a few of my Tesla shares and pay off my Model 3 loan 4 years early. Kinda of nice to drive 1 year old Tesla with no more payments. Now on to adding a hitch to it myself. Good luck to all with your new deliveries. My stress level just went away :)

Never ever do your trade-in through Tesla. It makes no rational sense to do so because they have no reason to give the best offer since they end up being an intermediary for some other entity to sell it. That has very real costs and even the sales staff encourages buyers to get a better deal elsewhere. Tesla isn’t in the car resale business and has no desire to be

Reactions: beezy
Never ever do your trade-in through Tesla. It makes no rational sense to do so because they have no reason to give the best offer since they end up being an intermediary for some other entity to sell it. That has very real costs and even the sales staff encourages buyers to get a better deal elsewhere. Tesla isn’t in the car resale business and has no desire to be

i dont see why not when they dont even make that much money back.they giving me pretty much 36k and i seen their resell values at 41-42k

the benefits for trading in to tesla is the tax consideration you get in the states that tax vehicle purchases (most)... in NY if you trade in your tesla for 40k to tesla, it is akin to getting above 43k on the street for you car. plus the convenience

• Informative
Reactions: Reborn
Tesla are trade-in scam artist for trading in Tesla models: Offered me $43300 then 30 days later lowered to $40500 the exact same used SR+ with very similar odometer reading except white color which is free since last June 2019 and Tesla they are asking $52300. Excuse me Tesla for not bending over a second time to take it up the... The car is in the Toronto location.

2019 Model 3 | Tesla Canada

good news is I got my $2500 refund 24hrs later in my CC account. Very fast refund.

A more recent data point for anybody who is trading in:

I traded in my 2018 Model 3 - Long Range - Rear Wheel Drive.
Excellent condition with 62,000km.

Trade In Offer: $39,500 CAD (plus $5,135 in tax savings).

So essentially I will get $45k CAD.

I was unsuccessful selling it privately for over $45K (lockdowns). So I will be trading it in to Tesla towards my new car purchase.
I am satisfied with this trade-in value, and it makes things a lot simpler for me.

I will miss the long range battery though..

So I got a quote from Tesla for my 2018 Model 3 last month before I order the MY. They gave me a $33,300 offer at the time which I'm fine with and I went ahead to complete all the delivery steps i.e. loan etc. Now I couldn't get delivery within 30 days and the offer have expired, the new offer I got is $30,400 for the same car with only ~1,000 miles more on the odometer.

Does anyone have any experience negotiating with Tesla for the trade in offer? or do they even open to negotiate at all?
They will match No One. regardless of what others might say. That's a substantial difference. I would shop around, private party will be the biggest bang for your buck.

Tesla's trade-in values are all over the place, and generally very low as others have mentioned. I sold a Model S last month, and Tesla's offer was incredibly low. Shift offered 3k more, so I went with them.

One upside to trading-in with Tesla (aside from the sales tax benefit) is that they don't seem to care all that much about the condition of the car. You have to upload some pictures, but I get the feeling they are just checking for major damage. That makes sense if they are just selling these cars at auction. I just traded-in my Model 3 in the process of getting a new Model Y, and nobody every did a detailed inspection of the Model 3. It had severe curb rash - I'm talking about the entire circumference of the wheel - on both passenger wheels, and moderate curb rash on the driver's side. Shift definitely would have dinged me for that, and their offer was only $900 higher than Tesla's offer. The sales tax saving from trading-in with Tesla was more than 4K, so I went with that option.

So I wouldn't say it never makes sense to do a trade-in, it just depends on your specific circumstances.