Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Cybertruck's looks growing on you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 insurance is LESS than my previous Leaf.

Tesla's are NOT more expensive to insure.

"Tesla Model 3 insurance costs an average of $2,215 per year, or about $185 a month, our analysis shows. That’s nearly 40% higher than the national average cost of car insurance."

I'm not saying your personal experience is unique. Just that most Tesla owners are paying 40% more than with a comparable vehicle, on average. We'd need to know a lot more personal info as to why your Leaf insurance was so high in comparison to a Tesla that is 40% higher than other cars already... most people buying a CT will be first time EV owners.

Also have to remember, when these cars catastrophically fail, and burst into flames they take upwards of 20,000 gallons of water to extinguish and burn everything down in their path. That can be several hundred thousand dollars that the insurance company has to litigate or cover in full. Might have been why your Leaf insurance was so high.

I'm going to call FUD here. My son is an insurance agent with a major insurance company, when we got ours I asked him about the cost. He said it's roughly the same as all the other luxury vehicles out there. My insurance didn't go up appreciably from my Mercedes S class when I got my model S. Even though the S was a decade earlier. So, I'm not sure who you're reading and I'm not sure who those guys are that did that study, but maybe they're not so dependable as it might seem. The internet has plenty of One Man shows that carry the appearance of an established organization, but really don't have anything going for them. Not sure who these guys are, maybe they're legit. But, they seem to be wrong for the largest insurance company in the United States of america.

I'm going to call FUD here. My son is an insurance agent with a major insurance company, when we got ours I asked him about the cost. He said it's roughly the same as all the other luxury vehicles out there. My insurance didn't go up appreciably from my Mercedes S class when I got my model S. Even though the S was a decade earlier. So, I'm not sure who you're reading and I'm not sure who those guys are that did that study, but maybe they're not so dependable as it might seem. The internet has plenty of One Man shows that carry the appearance of an established organization, but really don't have anything going for them. Not sure who these guys are, maybe they're legit. But, they seem to be wrong for the largest insurance company in the United States of america.
Perhaps going from an already expensive car to a model S explains your (potentially a family discount) experience.

And one more closer to the subject of speculative CT insurance costs from an industry insider:
"
"I can only theorize at this time, but my sense is that it would cost more to insure the Tesla Cybertruck than a conventional pickup truck," Gusner said. Data points to Tesla vehicles being more expensive to insure than other vehicles.
From the span between 2015 and 2019, Tesla vehicles have been 67 percent more costly to insure than the national average. Model X insurance was 83 percent more expensive than the national average rate for SUV insurance, coming in at $3,042 compared to $1,661.
"

• Disagree
Reactions: finman100
We insure with SAFECO, and pay about $4500 per year to cover BOTH our Model 3 and Model S. It's probably cheaper because we also insure our house with them, but even then, the cars and house are still cheaper to insure than some of these companies want just for a single Tesla.

And they don't even know how I drive!

We insure with SAFECO, and pay about $4500 per year to cover BOTH our Model 3 and Model S. It's probably cheaper because we also insure our house with them, but even then, the cars and house are still cheaper to insure than some of these companies want just for a single Tesla.

And they don't even know how I drive!
They base price off driving history (accidents, tickets etc), gender, economics, where your primary residence is located and how many other people being covered. As well as levels of coverage. I assume those are all fully covered plans referenced in the articles, required for leasing and loans. Last but definitely not least, the value of the car, and the amount of damage the car can receive without being totaled.

You can also bargain shop for insurance and only required to have insurance (IE not have any actual coverage)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: finman100

Breaks down the values used to calculate the costs:

"
The company calculated full coverage for a single 40-year-old male with a clean record, good credit, and 12 miles of commuting to work each day. This hypothetical driver has policy limits of $100,000 for injury liability for one person, $300,000 for all injuries, and $50,000 in property damage. He opted for comprehensive and uninsured motorist coverage as well as a $500 deductible.
Rates for our pretend enthusiast were then averaged from six major insurance carriers in 10 different ZIP codes for each state to find the priciest 2021 cars to insure."

I have Tesla insurance for my Y and it's very reasonable for the coverage (max everything for <$110/month).

I'll get Tesla insurance for my CT.
I hope they expand to WA soon.

My non-commuter Y costs more than the commuter Jeep Grand Cherokee it replaced (my wife became a stay at home mom as of April, no more commuting).

We have Progressive and bundle with home and auto.

Check out my Father’s Day gift. The Cyber Knife! Inspired by you know what.
Knife makers like the look……

Attachments

• A0DB7FFD-6588-4E98-B3C0-A3174FFAB561.jpeg
    A0DB7FFD-6588-4E98-B3C0-A3174FFAB561.jpeg
    840.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 9925AA08-921D-40D4-AE70-A2B957A0104C.jpeg
    9925AA08-921D-40D4-AE70-A2B957A0104C.jpeg
    923.5 KB · Views: 46
I've been fine with the looks from the beginning. I care most about function, and the long-term durability of stainless steel makes this a very attractive option. Those who want a truck for show vs work can buy something else, as there are a lot of other options in market.