Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Cybertruck's looks growing on you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People are currently rejected the S, X and cheaper 3/Y for alignment, dents and scratches... any issues during assembly, transport and delivery are going to be a nightmare for Stainless steel blemish correction.

Easy enough to buff out a hairline scratch in paint. My '21 Y LR had 30+ scratches they buffed out on delivery day prior to taking ownership.

If the same quality issues haunt the CT, it'll go the same way as the original DMC-12. Overweight, under powered and over priced... 30k assembly planned, 9.2k actually produced, and bankrupt in 1983 after 2 years of production.
Equally easy enough to pull out the grinder and buff out some deep scratches in the steel with a flap wheel and sanding discs

Reactions: henderrj
Equally easy enough to pull out the grinder and buff out some deep scratches in the steel with a flap wheel and sanding discs
From videos I've seen in regards to buffing out scratches and dents on deloreans, not so much.

You don't have to regrain paint, and no one will want to take home a 60k+ car with imperfect stainless steel that cant get buffed out without several hours of work per scratch.

Paint was a minute or 2 per scratch.

I just hope their delivery is better than recent Ys (including my own)

From videos I've seen in regards to buffing out scratches and dents on deloreans, not so much.

You don't have to regrain paint, and no one will want to take home a 60k+ car with imperfect stainless steel that cant get buffed out without several hours of work per scratch.

Paint was a minute or 2 per scratch.

I just hope their delivery is better than recent Ys (including my own)
People have been repairing vehicles made from sheet metal for decades. This is nothing new or revolutionary. Just cause some delorean owners aren't happy with their repairs doesn't make it any more difficult. The ct has the added benefit that many owners won't give a crap if the repairs have the pristine original matching grain marks. Anything is possible to repair on metal, with much less effort. What you are saying is not that it's harder, but that many of the owners of this vehicle differ from normal truck owners in that they have and spend lots of money and with that comes higher requests and demands. This is a demolition derby truck that now is being asked to remain pristine for Benz owners.

Reactions: henderrj
If you want a rugged futuristic military truck, you should also be able to embrace the weathered look that comes with that genre and aesthetic. If not, wait for the Tesla model T luxury brand truck made from standard surface material that comes in however many paint options. It will most likely be a much better truck and make you happier.

Btw, current delorean owners are drastically different than first owner delorean owners. The vehicle failed cause people didn't want it and it sucked. It's only due to Hollywood magic that is gained a valuable second life to high rollers willing to spend 50-150k on what is essentially a junk car.. And then complain their repaired stainless steel grain isn't perfect.

Instead, they should realize that you can still buy brand new original delorean panels from the existing company. DeLorean Motor Company | The Best Source for your DeLorean

Or they should offload their worthless junk 1981 DMC manual transmission off on me, someone who will appreciate it for what it actually is, for what it's actually worth...$1800. :)

Taking offers...

Btw, current delorean owners are drastically different than first owner delorean owners. The vehicle failed cause people didn't want it and it sucked. It's only due to Hollywood magic that is gained a valuable second life to high rollers willing to spend 50-150k on what is essentially a junk car.. And then complain their repaired stainless steel grain isn't perfect.

Instead, they should realize that you can still buy brand new original delorean panels from the existing company. DeLorean Motor Company | The Best Source for your DeLorean

Or they should offload their worthless junk 1981 DMC manual transmission off on me, someone who will appreciate it for what it actually is, for what it's actually worth...$1800. :)

Taking offers...
I think you are missing my point.

Delivery day rejecting a CT with delivery scratches/dings that will take several man hours to rectify.

Will some people take delivery regardless of imperfections? Sure. Will Tesla have yet another delivery day Quality issue reported by every news outlet... Yep.

We'll have to see how it pans out.

Reactions: Throwcomputer
Yes. I was intrigued at the launch, but it was too "out there" to just order one. After owning the Y for a couple months, my image of cars is almost completely changed, and I do not care that it is too "out there" the specs speak for themselves. And I kinda think its "rad"

I might just order one yet. Well have a 4th driver in the house in a couple years-he gets the ICE car.

I would target the dual motor I think.

Not really growing on me. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I'm concerned about the same thing some others are concerned about -- not having a bed side that you can reach over the top of -- could limit it's functionality a bit. I would probably only use it locally, using my car for out of town trips, so range/highway charging isn't a big concern for my use case. I would cross shop against any other E-trucks. I'm not a yoke fan, so that could be something that pushes me to a classic auto manufacturer over Tesla. One positive is the body will take forever to corrode. I've dabbled in DeLoreans; they have all kinds of issues; but rusting body panels is not one of them.

Not really growing on me. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I'm concerned about the same thing some others are concerned about -- not having a bed side that you can reach over the top of -- could limit it's functionality a bit. I would probably only use it locally, using my car for out of town trips, so range/highway charging isn't a big concern for my use case. I would cross shop against any other E-trucks. I'm not a yoke fan, so that could be something that pushes me to a classic auto manufacturer over Tesla. One positive is the body will take forever to corrode. I've dabbled in DeLoreans; they have all kinds of issues; but rusting body panels is not one of them.
My kitchen sink and Cyber Truck will have the same finish. Maybe I can wash it with Comet and a Brillo pad. ;)

I love it. It's ridiculous. It looks like a giant toy.
Agree. The same happened to me. Sometimes it is hard to let go of old styling. When the Bronco first came out with their new uniforms, I thought they were ugly. Now I think they are the best-looking ones in the league. I think MUSK is leading our tastes into the future and almost 1,000,000 orders, I would say I'm right. It's not your father's Oldsmobile!!

I am fairly certain that I read statements somewhere from Elon himself that was basically "this was my dream, and if people dont like it, we will try something else". I think it looks the way it does because this look was what elon dreamed of, nothing more complicated than that.
I would counter that viewpoint. I think appearance is undoubtedly a result of Elon's conceptual preferences combined with the required engineering inherent to a vehicle built on a structural battery pack. Are people forgetting the basis for this build? No wasted weight/space on a traditional steel frame. Structural steel exoskeleton shaped to be supportive like an A-frame bridge. No side mirrors to drastically reduce drag. These things are IMO a good part of how Tesla can tote better performance stats than the competition. Less so for appearance sake. It's ingenious zero waste engineering. My thoughts anyway...

Since it is a truck I am more forgiving of its freakish looks. Definitely not a fan of those wheel covers though, hopefully there will be some addition wheel options. I will need to experience how it drives. Are they still figuring out if they will be allowed to build it without side mirrors? Also, no door handles? Sometimes you have to balance the cool factor with practicality. For example, on my Model 3, when the 12v battery dies you can't get into the car without going through the tow hook to pop the frunk and then try to jump the battery so that you can open the door. That is a lot of hoops to jump through vs. a simple key as a backup.

Yes.

At first I saw it and thought "cool, but too far out for me"

After owning the Y for a couple of months, it had grown but still too out there.

fast forward to Last week- a friend with a classic car invited us to a small car show, so we went. I was a little shy about it... in a "bring the new fangled contraption and pee in the old guys' cheerios" kinda way... But, Folks, I was a salesman for 3 hours. TONS of interest, but There's a lot of misinfo out there. What I found was that I enjoyed it, and the spotlight didn't bug me. Almost immediately my attitude changed, and now, I don't care if it looks weird or bothers anyone in our small town area.

We're ordering a CT. The target being the dual motor. :) I hope the final design equals the hype.