Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we Really Really Saving Money owning a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have had my Model-3 past one year and enjoying every single time I sit in it (at times I just try to "find" reasons just so I can drive it).

But, every time I plug it to charge, this question comes in to my mind, in the long run "Are we REALLY REALLY SAVING MONEY owning a Tesla??"

Because, between Sentry mode, cabin temperature maintenance... and other miles-sapping activities that we might just not be aware of, my Model-3 tends to lose around 3-5 miles per 24 hours... give or take a couple of miles... WHETHER I DRIVE MY CAR OR NOT. That's serious loss of miles/charge, just with the car sitting out there in my garage.

What are your (unbiased) thoughts?

Hello,

I have had my Model-3 past one year and enjoying every single time I sit in it (at times I just try to "find" reasons just so I can drive it).

But, every time I plug it to charge, this question comes in to my mind, in the long run "Are we REALLY REALLY SAVING MONEY owning a Tesla??"

Because, between Sentry mode, cabin temperature maintenance... and other miles-sapping activities that we might just not be aware of, my Model-3 tends to lose around 3-5 miles per 24 hours... give or take a couple of miles... WHETHER I DRIVE MY CAR OR NOT. That's serious loss of miles/charge, just with the car sitting out there in my garage.

Maybe in the long run, but over all for sure no. It will take allot of fuel and rebates to cover the 75k I paid for it before mods.
Saving money over buying a gas car with similar performance? Well probably.

use one of those calculators? honestly i don't understand your question? are you questioning the idea that because you're drawing power, and that draw costs money, that there's little exposed cost savings?

there's always cost of ownership for any vehicle. your fuel source is different because you draw from your electrical. you can negate that in many ways, but you're still paying for fuel.

i'm really confused by your post.

Reactions: M109Rider
I love the TECH and the tank up via the SUN concept!
Screenshot_9_12_19__3_19_PM.jpg

my Model-3 tends to lose around 3-5 miles per 24 hours... give or take a couple of miles... WHETHER I DRIVE MY CAR OR NOT. That's serious loss of miles/charge, just with the car sitting out there in my garage.
Calculate your cost, based on what you pay per kWh to charge (home or work?) of those 3-5 miles/day and then decide if that is important to you.

I suspect you will find that it is pennies per day of charge loss.

I'd be curious to see how many people on here purchased a 3 with the intent to save money. I don't see how that makes a lot of sense. It's a moderately expensive vehicle, with a less than stellar track record for reliability. Buying a 10 year old Honda or Toyota, and doing maintenance yourself sounds a lot more sensible if saving money is the goal. The cost savings there are extremely significant. The #1 cost owning a new Model 3 is likely to be depreciation, not the fuel cost. Basically the same story as any new car. But if you wanted to ONLY drive a new car that was always under warranty, AND you compared it to a semi-luxury car, I don't see how it would end up behind for most everyone.

Personally, I don't really care if it cost 10x more than an ICE car per mile, I think its a better car.

I too don't really get the question. Of course owning a Tesla, like any car costs more than not owning a car; so you must mean compared to something else - but nobody can give you a reasonable answer unless you tell us what you are comparing it to (and how much you drive).

If you are just worried about the cost of Sentry and Cabin Overheat, you can turn them off.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to see how many people on here purchased a 3 with the intent to save money. I don't see how that makes a lot of sense. It's a moderately expensive vehicle, with a less than stellar track record for reliability. Buying a 10 year old Honda or Toyota, and doing maintenance yourself sounds a lot more sensible if saving money is the goal. The cost savings there are extremely significant. The #1 cost owning a new Model 3 is likely to be depreciation, not the fuel cost. Basically the same story as any new car. But if you wanted to ONLY drive a new car that was always under warranty, AND you compared it to a semi-luxury car, I don't see how it would end up behind for most everyone.

Personally, I don't really care if it cost 10x more than an ICE car per mile, I think its a better car.
if you're in the market for a new vehicle, the TCO can be significantly less than a comparable vehicle. used will always be a better financial value than new, no matter what you buy.