Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Powerwall Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which completely contradicts the absolute statement you just made about the tax law.

And, this is also inaccurate in terms of legal advice. You certainly do it, but in the end you can do what the IRS says you can do.
Nope. I know what I did. I know some tax folks do different things. I know it is a non issue if the IRS does and audit. Still a no issue if IRS loses
court case. So, what did I same that is wrong. And I am not giving legal advice, just an opinion, like all of us.

You're right, its 26%, my mistake. I didn't realize it was extended.

However the finance company has me paying 240/month. If I don't pay them the tax credit, then that will go up to 380/month.
If its filed with my taxes then that means I won't be getting my tax credit until next year after my bill has already gone up :/

Did you check when your monthly payment will go up? Your loan payments won't even start until 1-2 months after you turn on the system. And from that point, you have 18 months before the monthly payment goes up. That is more than enough time to file your taxes, get the tax credit and then make the payment to the loan provider before your monthly payment goes up.

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj
Hopefully someone with SRP as their utility can help me out here. We are on summer rates now, and the peak shifted from the winter 5-9's to a single afternoon 2-8. I have my advanced time control set up with peak from 2-8 and off peak from 8 PM to 2 PM. I have no shoulder set. The powerwall continues to discharge all night and into the morning until solar produces enough to take over. I am over producing right now, so it has not been an issue, but I would like the battery to just cover the peaks and have as much charge as necessary left to cover an outage should one occur. Soon, I will no longer over produce due to increased A/C usage. Tesla has been completely useless with this issue, and I have not been able to get past the people that answer the phones to talk with someone that really know how this system actually works.

Is it possible to get the powerwall to just cover the peak periods and them revert to grid? What do I need to do in the setting to get that to happen?

Hopefully someone with SRP as their utility can help me out here. We are on summer rates now, and the peak shifted from the winter 5-9's to a single afternoon 2-8. I have my advanced time control set up with peak from 2-8 and off peak from 8 PM to 2 PM. I have no shoulder set. The powerwall continues to discharge all night and into the morning until solar produces enough to take over. I am over producing right now, so it has not been an issue, but I would like the battery to just cover the peaks and have as much charge as necessary left to cover an outage should one occur. Soon, I will no longer over produce due to increased A/C usage. Tesla has been completely useless with this issue, and I have not been able to get past the people that answer the phones to talk with someone that really know how this system actually works.

Is it possible to get the powerwall to just cover the peak periods and them revert to grid? What do I need to do in the setting to get that to happen?
I had this concern at the beginning also. I am set to balanced, and set my peak from 3pm to 1AM. It has enough smarts to see usage and when solar hits so yep, it keeps running the house from battery most of the day. I am off grid 99% of the day. In summer, with lots of solar, a non issue, IMO. Even if I get an outage, the solar would charge fast enough would never be an issue. Now in winter, different story.

Just posted my SRP experience in another thread (Strategies for Powerwalls and Utility Demand Plans). The discharge happens down to whatever reserve you set on the batteries which I'd agree is perhaps not the most efficient use of stored energy and causes the PW2 to cycle more but the algorithm seems to do and OK job catching up to make sure you have sufficient stored energy to get you through the next peak. You can of course "manage" this by setting the reserve higher to cover approximately what's needed during a peak (but you then run risk of PW2 cutting off at 7.30pm!). At this time the algorism does not seem to do anything with projected weather so to extent I know it's a cloudy day so production will be less than the algorithm is expecting I put it in back up to force the charge then switch back to TOU before 2pm.

I do hate the winter 5-9's as I found that I needed to keep changing the peaks as could not find a way to work it otherwise which was a bit of an inconvenience (but managed to get through winter with only minimal demand charges)

It is funny (not) that the Tesla people do not seem to know how this app works. The level one folks you get on the phone told me that the way I thought it should be working is how it is supposed to be working. I HATE the "smartness" of this software. I simply want it to run the house during the peak in conjunction with the solar output. Would that be so hard to program? Round tripping is wasteful with losses and worse on the battery. I found a several year old thread and just read through it. Seems this has been an issue since the beginning. Seriously, how hard would it be to simply have no learning involved and just follow a damn schedule. I guess I am going to set a higher reserve and monitor it as the summer progresses and I use more power than I produce.

It is funny (not) that the Tesla people do not seem to know how this app works. The level one folks you get on the phone told me that the way I thought it should be working is how it is supposed to be working. I HATE the "smartness" of this software. I simply want it to run the house during the peak in conjunction with the solar output. Would that be so hard to program? Round tripping is wasteful with losses and worse on the battery. I found a several year old thread and just read through it. Seems this has been an issue since the beginning. Seriously, how hard would it be to simply have no learning involved and just follow a damn schedule. I guess I am going to set a higher reserve and monitor it as the summer progresses and I use more power than I produce.
I ran into same issue. I want to charge car at night from grid not PW. I’ve installed Darwin’s Hubitat scripts so after 8pm it sets to 100% reserve so PW stops discharging. Sets reserve back to 20% before 2pm. I set Cost Saving mode but don’t see difference in behavior from Self Powered the way I’m running. You can search thread for Darwin for how to set up. It’s been working great on the winter plans with the 2 on peak times.

Glad to say we have fixed the code, to solve captcha problem.
We now use a service called 2captcha , if you do use our solution please create a referral account with 2captcha, if you don't want to do that we can share my account, I am paying for.
Appreciate a donation if you can.
* pip install svglib
* get 2Captcha account, replace API key
Enjoy
https://github.com/fkhera/powerwallCloud
Looks like captcha is gone (for now), but I'm testing a version with getting a token manually, first time, and then using the refresh, which will mean only doing captcha once (theoretically ever). Should have everything refactored by end of the week and will share.

Reactions: destructure00
Looks like captcha is gone (for now), but I'm testing a version with getting a token manually, first time, and then using the refresh, which will mean only doing captcha once (theoretically ever). Should have everything refactored by end of the week and will share.

here's my repo for controlling the powerwalls (and honeywell thermostats if desired) using only built in python modules.

Currently requires auth token to be created manually, and stored on disk, and then will refresh it indefinitely (so captcha shouldn't be an issue). Next todo (if I get around to it) will be making a setup wizard that will walk through getting the auth token and some other local configs for you.

I'm in the process of purchasing Tesla solar with enough capacity to cover my electricity use for the year for my house in Peoria. It now appears to me that the APS demand charges could be large especially in the summer. So now I'm wondering if I should add 2 powerwalls so there will be no demand charge. Has anyone else chose powerwalls in this situation or found another alternative?

Reactions: scotsmanswan
I'm in the process of purchasing Tesla solar with enough capacity to cover my electricity use for the year for my house in Peoria. It now appears to me that the APS demand charges could be large especially in the summer. So now I'm wondering if I should add 2 powerwalls so there will be no demand charge. Has anyone else chose powerwalls in this situation or found another alternative?
Just posted my experience here: Solar in AZ

To summarize depends on what your power needs are but with my relatively efficient newly renovated 3K ft home 1 PW2 is sufficient (but I would likely chose 2 PW2's if making the decision again today and would buy an additional one today if I could)

Reactions: Hebert
Just posted my experience here: Solar in AZ

To summarize depends on what your power needs are but with my relatively efficient newly renovated 3K ft home 1 PW2 is sufficient (but I would likely chose 2 PW2's if making the decision again today and would buy an additional one today if I could)
Thats the point, usually you get one chance. I had one shot at 7 PW's but chocked and lost 2 of them thinking the money savings was great. I am trying to put physically all the panels I can now. Either, it seems, PGE will approve all, or none, so do not want to look back, again, and wish I had not penny pinched.

Reactions: Hebert
Arizona folks I have a question that might break the solar conversation.

I am currently in the process of waiting for Tesla to pull permits and whatever else. I am installing a 16.24KW system for my 4300 sq ft home with two air conditioners (4 ton). I'm getting TWO Powerwalls.

With the Powerwalls in place - will APS require I get 400 AMP service to the home since I'm over 15KWs? I have a newer home built in 2014 square D 200AMP service.

So overall my questions are this. 1. 400 AMP service will be required? 2. Will my house be pre-wired for that or does no one do that? 3. What will it cost for upgrade to 400 AMP service if it's pre-wired, or if they have to pull copper from the street? I'm currently waiting, I'll know all of this soon enough through quotes, but anything you all know will be helpful!

Arizona folks I have a question that might break the solar conversation.

I am currently in the process of waiting for Tesla to pull permits and whatever else. I am installing a 16.24KW system for my 4300 sq ft home with two air conditioners (4 ton). I'm getting TWO Powerwalls.

With the Powerwalls in place - will APS require I get 400 AMP service to the home since I'm over 15KWs? I have a newer home built in 2014 square D 200AMP service.

So overall my questions are this. 1. 400 AMP service will be required? 2. Will my house be pre-wired for that or does no one do that? 3. What will it cost for upgrade to 400 AMP service if it's pre-wired, or if they have to pull copper from the street? I'm currently waiting, I'll know all of this soon enough through quotes, but anything you all know will be helpful!

I have 2 4-ton units (13-seer I think?) for a 3000 sq ft (2-story) home, and went with 8.16 kw + 3 PW2. Also note - I have SRP, not APS. I'm not familiar with APS price plans with with SRP I need to have 0 usage between 2-8, and this week is basically the real test, but should be fine. My panels can get my PW almost fully charged by 2pm, and I wrote a script that will precool the home if the forecast is over 105, or if my battery level is below 90% at noon, which seems to be able to keep me 100% off grid from 2-8pm. The lowest I've gotten is down to about 25% remaining.

Note - we usually keep the home at a nice cool 71 degrees, and at 35%, 20%, and 10%, I have automation increase the thermostat 2 degrees. So far have only crossed that first threshold. Our usage last year was a total of about 32,000 kwh, but if you keep your home warmer and/or are generally more energy efficient/lower usage.

I have 16.32KW and 3 PW. I’m on the SRP customer generation average demand plan. The 3 PWs have easily gotten me through the 2-8pm on peak with no demand charges even on the 115 deg days last week. This plan would not be economically feasible without the PW. The demand charges are too high without it. You would have to chose a plan without demand charges.