Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Powerwall Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in SE Phoenix (Ahwatukee) and just placed my order for an 8.5kW solar panel system with 2 PowerWalls. I missed out on the 0.99% financing by a couple days, but I'll just make a bigger down payment to help offset the additional 2% interest. Uploaded my latest SRP bill and photos requested during the self assessment. Just waiting for the initial system design. The installation date is estimated to be 11-12 weeks out, so if the project stays on track that would be around Halloween. I was curious what the typical wait time would be in the Phoenix area for post install inspection and PTO with SRP? From reading this forum and Tesla solar groups on Facebook, PTO can be an excruciatingly long wait if Tesla delays submitting paperwork or submits it incorrectly. Hoping that won't be the case and things go smoothly!

So I guess Tesla has updated the Powerwall app. I have not had a chance to load it, but what are the odds that they now have two peak times for us on SRP TOU plans? Also, anyone want to guess if they got rid of the "smart" features on the time based usage and just have it follow the set times rather than have it discharging to "make room" for solar whatever that means. All the smart features do is get you a not fully charged battery at the start of the peak because it was suddenly cloudy in AZ for a few hours at the wrong time.

It seems to me that it would be so easy for Tesla to write a version of the app that would be perfect for us and anyone else with TOU net metering.

So I guess Tesla has updated the Powerwall app. I have not had a chance to load it, but what are the odds that they now have two peak times for us on SRP TOU plans? Also, anyone want to guess if they got rid of the "smart" features on the time based usage and just have it follow the set times rather than have it discharging to "make room" for solar whatever that means. All the smart features do is get you a not fully charged battery at the start of the peak because it was suddenly cloudy in AZ for a few hours at the wrong time.

It seems to me that it would be so easy for Tesla to write a version of the app that would be perfect for us and anyone else with TOU net metering.
I have upgraded app and the way the interface is set up (you "add" peak and shoulder periods) I had high hopes that this would be possible but unfortunately only allowed one peak (perhaps this however create a path to a future update)

Okay I have updated the code to solve re-captcha so you can try it and let me know. you may need an API key for 2captcha: Program is back to running as far as I can tell.

Added recaptchasolver.py And changed main files to use to the captcha solver and modified authorize call to take in new gcaptcha parameters. Here are all my fixes for re-captcha and verified it works with python, feel free to try similar method:

I ordered an 8.5kW solar panel system with 2 Powerwalls last month. Design has been approved and for about the past three weeks, the project status has been obtaining permits from the city of Phoenix and approval to install from SRP. I called SRP and spoke to someone on their solar team a couple days ago to find out the status. They told me they had not yet received any paperwork from Tesla regarding my planned solar installation. I called my Tesla project advisor today to find out why the paperwork had not been submitted to SRP. I was told the holdup with SRP is regarding the Powerwall+. Tesla is now installing Powerwall+ with new installations, but because the Powerwall+ is still very new, SRP has not yet approved/certified it for new installations. Tesla and SRP are still in the process of working that out. Time to installation on my solar project webpage shows 7-8 weeks, but that could be end up being pushed back depending how much longer it takes for SRP to approve the Powerwall+.

I ordered an 8.5kW solar panel system with 2 Powerwalls last month. Design has been approved and for about the past three weeks, the project status has been obtaining permits from the city of Phoenix and approval to install from SRP. I called SRP and spoke to someone on their solar team a couple days ago to find out the status. They told me they had not yet received any paperwork from Tesla regarding my planned solar installation. I called my Tesla project advisor today to find out why the paperwork had not been submitted to SRP. I was told the holdup with SRP is regarding the Powerwall+. Tesla is now installing Powerwall+ with new installations, but because the Powerwall+ is still very new, SRP has not yet approved/certified it for new installations. Tesla and SRP are still in the process of working that out. Time to installation on my solar project webpage shows 7-8 weeks, but that could be end up being pushed back depending how much longer it takes for SRP to approve the Powerwall+.

I think Phoenix is currently running at about 60 days for permits. From my experience from initial installation (July of 2020 with non Tesla installer) the SRP process was fairly quick but think some of their regs around Powerwall installations were changing around same time as my project so initial inspection was failed which needed a re-filing of plans and a further 4 week delay (so risk in your situation may be even if Powerwall+ is initially approved there may be some new regs by time of inspection which might cause some hic-ups). PTO was also relatively quick post inspection approval

Given you are with SPR may want to look into average demand plan (versus customer generation plan) - has higher demand changers but uses average within month not a single day high so if you have minimal demand in month no material difference in cost but for that one supper hot day or cloudy day (when you cant meet the full demand need) you end up being penalized less financially...

I think Phoenix is currently running at about 60 days for permits. From my experience from initial installation (July of 2020 with non Tesla installer) the SRP process was fairly quick but think some of their regs around Powerwall installations were changing around same time as my project so initial inspection was failed which needed a re-filing of plans and a further 4 week delay (so risk in your situation may be even if Powerwall+ is initially approved there may be some new regs by time of inspection which might cause some hic-ups). PTO was also relatively quick post inspection approval

Given you are with SPR may want to look into average demand plan (versus customer generation plan) - has higher demand changers but uses average within month not a single day high so if you have minimal demand in month no material difference in cost but for that one supper hot day or cloudy day (when you cant meet the full demand need) you end up being penalized less financially...
I'll be shocked if my system gets installed in the 7-8 weeks estimated by Tesla. If Tesla cannot currently get solar projects approved by SRP due to the Powerwall+ not being approved, then there must be a backlog of other solar installs in SRP territory ahead of me also waiting on SRP to complete their testing.

One of the docs Tesla had me fill out a few weeks ago was the SRP solar plan selection. I did choose the E-15 average demand plan. On the form Tesla recommended the customer generation plan, the one that made the least sense with the highest energy rates.

Reactions: scotsmanswan
So I ordered my 8.5kW solar panel system with two Powerwalls a month ago. I know from the system design I approved where the 20 solar panels will be installed on the roof, but I don’t know where the Powerwalls will end up. Tesla apparently doesn’t perform in-person site surveys here in Phoenix as none was ever scheduled and doesn’t appear in the list of tasks on my project timeline. I’m hoping someone with knowledge of Powerwall installs can provide their input as to where the best place for them would be. Tesla will be installing a Powerwall+ and Powerwall 2. I’d like to know beforehand where they’ll most likely end up being installed before installation day.
The first photo I posted shows the south-facing front of my house with the electrical panel and SRP meter on the southwest corner. There’s no room on that corner for Powerwalls side by side. And my HOA would certainly not approve of Powerwalls in the front visible from the street. Unless painted to match the exterior. That’s not an option. As you can see, my garage is on the opposite side of the house from the electrical panel and meter. I don’t think I would want the Powerwalls installed in the garage anyway as it’s not insulated and it’s even hotter in the garage than outside during the summer months. So I thought I had the perfect spot for the Powerwalls. 2nd photo shows the west side of the house in the backyard, just on the other side of the block wall not too far from the SRP meter and panel. My hope was to have the Powerwalls installed to the left and right of the window. Plenty of room on both sides of the window for Powerwalls. But then I read somewhere that fire codes may not permit Powerwalls being installed outdoors within 5 ft of a window. I believe that’s the case in California. Does that apply to Phoenix as well? If so, then that location wouldn’t work. The 3rd photo is the east side of the house. That actually would be a better spot. Aside from a brief period during the early morning hours, it’s in the shade most of the day which would help prevent the inverter and Powerwalls from getting overheated due to direct sunlight. And there’s plenty of room with no windows closeby. But that wall is on the opposite side of the house from the electrical panel and meter. Would the installers be able to run conduit that far? They could run the conduit directly up from the electrical panel on the southwest corner, run it underneath the roof eave on the backyard side of the house all the way to the east side and back down. The last photo is the backyard. Would the east wall be the best option or could I get away with having the Powerwalls installed next to the window on the west side? Thoughts?

Attachments

• 9DD5BB16-9363-458D-A760-76081EDB5192.jpeg
    9DD5BB16-9363-458D-A760-76081EDB5192.jpeg
    979.5 KB · Views: 87
  • B80D6C4B-EEFA-49BD-B219-695944597CF6.jpeg
    B80D6C4B-EEFA-49BD-B219-695944597CF6.jpeg
    923.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 05DE6D5F-6C15-4850-B409-81892FD73644.jpeg
    05DE6D5F-6C15-4850-B409-81892FD73644.jpeg
    703.7 KB · Views: 55
  • B583D138-FF64-4AA4-BEB8-BC4622D4FF7E.jpeg
    B583D138-FF64-4AA4-BEB8-BC4622D4FF7E.jpeg
    616.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
The requirement is 3 feet, not 5, but it looks like that still only leaves room for one to the left of the window. Perhaps if stacking is allowed in your area you can put both of them in the same place. It does look like that would be the best side.

The requirement is 3 feet, not 5, but it looks like that still only leaves room for one to the left of the window. Perhaps if stacking is allowed in your area you can put both of them in the same place. It does look like that would be the best side.
There wouldn't be enough room on the left side of the window either if 3ft is required. It's 54" from the left edge of the window to end of the wall. I wouldn't be able to stack them anyway. I believe you're allowed to stack Powerwalls mounted on the ground, but not on the side of the house.

I live in SE Phoenix (Ahwatukee) and just placed my order for an 8.5kW solar panel system with 2 PowerWalls. I missed out on the 0.99% financing by a couple days, but I'll just make a bigger down payment to help offset the additional 2% interest. Uploaded my latest SRP bill and photos requested during the self assessment. Just waiting for the initial system design. The installation date is estimated to be 11-12 weeks out, so if the project stays on track that would be around Halloween. I was curious what the typical wait time would be in the Phoenix area for post install inspection and PTO with SRP? From reading this forum and Tesla solar groups on Facebook, PTO can be an excruciatingly long wait if Tesla delays submitting paperwork or submits it incorrectly. Hoping that won't be the case and things go smoothly!

my install was a year ago this month. Didn't get PTO until December.

I have upgraded app and the way the interface is set up (you "add" peak and shoulder periods) I had high hopes that this would be possible but unfortunately only allowed one peak (perhaps this however create a path to a future update)
up - there's still just the 1 peak window that you can set. Another change is there's no longer specifically a "backup only" mode in the app. Alternatively this is achieved by setting the backup reserve percent to 100% in either of the remaining modes - self-powered or time-of-use.

This sadly broke my automation, but it's fixed up now (just leaving the mode along, and toggling the reserve % instead).

I know this isn't the place for it but I'm asking here because you guys are all in Arizona.

I was told when they setup my solar that I should be receiving a check in the mail from Tesla for the solar tax credit.
Found out that wasn't true.

Later I was told that I would receive a document from Tesla stating the work done / price / etc that I can take to my CPA for my solar tax credit.

Now I'm told that's not true.

Have any of you guys taken care of your solar tax credit and mind telling me what I should be doing to redeem mine? I sold way too much crypto this year and really need that tax credit. Thanks guys!

I know this isn't the place for it but I'm asking here because you guys are all in Arizona.

I was told when they setup my solar that I should be receiving a check in the mail from Tesla for the solar tax credit.
Found out that wasn't true.

Later I was told that I would receive a document from Tesla stating the work done / price / etc that I can take to my CPA for my solar tax credit.

Now I'm told that's not true.

Have any of you guys taken care of your solar tax credit and mind telling me what I should be doing to redeem mine? I sold way too much crypto this year and really need that tax credit. Thanks guys!
Mine was easy. when I did my taxes, you just put in the amount in the solar form. It now does 26% off your owed federal taxes. You only get when you file taxes. Easy

Reactions: scotsmanswan
So I ordered my 8.5kW solar panel system with two Powerwalls a month ago. I know from the system design I approved where the 20 solar panels will be installed on the roof, but I don’t know where the Powerwalls will end up. Tesla apparently doesn’t perform in-person site surveys here in Phoenix as none was ever scheduled and doesn’t appear in the list of tasks on my project timeline. I’m hoping someone with knowledge of Powerwall installs can provide their input as to where the best place for them would be. Tesla will be installing a Powerwall+ and Powerwall 2. I’d like to know beforehand where they’ll most likely end up being installed before installation day.
The first photo I posted shows the south-facing front of my house with the electrical panel and SRP meter on the southwest corner. There’s no room on that corner for Powerwalls side by side. And my HOA would certainly not approve of Powerwalls in the front visible from the street. Unless painted to match the exterior. That’s not an option. As you can see, my garage is on the opposite side of the house from the electrical panel and meter. I don’t think I would want the Powerwalls installed in the garage anyway as it’s not insulated and it’s even hotter in the garage than outside during the summer months. So I thought I had the perfect spot for the Powerwalls. 2nd photo shows the west side of the house in the backyard, just on the other side of the block wall not too far from the SRP meter and panel. My hope was to have the Powerwalls installed to the left and right of the window. Plenty of room on both sides of the window for Powerwalls. But then I read somewhere that fire codes may not permit Powerwalls being installed outdoors within 5 ft of a window. I believe that’s the case in California. Does that apply to Phoenix as well? If so, then that location wouldn’t work. The 3rd photo is the east side of the house. That actually would be a better spot. Aside from a brief period during the early morning hours, it’s in the shade most of the day which would help prevent the inverter and Powerwalls from getting overheated due to direct sunlight. And there’s plenty of room with no windows closeby. But that wall is on the opposite side of the house from the electrical panel and meter. Would the installers be able to run conduit that far? They could run the conduit directly up from the electrical panel on the southwest corner, run it underneath the roof eave on the backyard side of the house all the way to the east side and back down. The last photo is the backyard. Would the east wall be the best option or could I get away with having the Powerwalls installed next to the window on the west side? Thoughts?

I just received my installation date of November 19th a couple days ago! Things really moved quickly this week. At the start of this week, I was still waiting on permits from City of Phoenix. On Monday, a Tesla field tech came to the house for a site visit. Just as I suspected, the location for the Powerwalls I had picked at the start of the project is not going to work due to the close proximity to the living room window. So we agreed the Powerwalls would go on the east side of the house in the backyard. Which will work out better as the Powerwalls and inverter will be in the shade most of the day during the hot summer months. The installers will need to run conduit from the west side where the main panel is located over to the east side. The guy from Tesla said they'll run the conduit underneath the roof eaves in the backyard. This won't affect the installation cost.

On Tuesday, the day after the site visit, my project timeline was updated showing the permits from Phoenix had been obtained. SRP gave their permission to install 2-3 weeks ago. The project webpage said the installation date would be set shortly. Then Thursday I received a text from Tesla informing me of the November 19th installation date. I was surprised the change of the location for the Powerwalls didn't delay things a few weeks. I was assuming this would require Tesla to to submit the change to Phoenix for an updated permit as the original plans had the Powerwalls on the west side. In any case, I'm excited I now have an installation date! 3 weeks from today, my home should be running on solar and Powerwalls as I'll be able to use the new self-power mode while I wait for the inspection and PTO.

I just received my installation date of November 19th a couple days ago! Things really moved quickly this week. At the start of this week, I was still waiting on permits from City of Phoenix. On Monday, a Tesla field tech came to the house for a site visit. Just as I suspected, the location for the Powerwalls I had picked at the start of the project is not going to work due to the close proximity to the living room window. So we agreed the Powerwalls would go on the east side of the house in the backyard. Which will work out better as the Powerwalls and inverter will be in the shade most of the day during the hot summer months. The installers will need to run conduit from the west side where the main panel is located over to the east side. The guy from Tesla said they'll run the conduit underneath the roof eaves in the backyard. This won't affect the installation cost.

On Tuesday, the day after the site visit, my project timeline was updated showing the permits from Phoenix had been obtained. SRP gave their permission to install 2-3 weeks ago. The project webpage said the installation date would be set shortly. Then Thursday I received a text from Tesla informing me of the November 19th installation date. I was surprised the change of the location for the Powerwalls didn't delay things a few weeks. I was assuming this would require Tesla to to submit the change to Phoenix for an updated permit as the original plans had the Powerwalls on the west side. In any case, I'm excited I now have an installation date! 3 weeks from today, my home should be running on solar and Powerwalls as I'll be able to use the new self-power mode while I wait for the inspection and PTO.
When did you start? My son in Chandler had a hell of a time getting it installed, then they switched his inverter to the Tesla model and now cannot monitor the individual panels that he so desperately wanted to do. He had it installed not long ago, perhaps 3 weeks ago but if i remember he started the process last year.

When did you start? My son in Chandler had a hell of a time getting it installed, then they switched his inverter to the Tesla model and now cannot monitor the individual panels that he so desperately wanted to do. He had it installed not long ago, perhaps 3 weeks ago but if i remember he started the process last year.
I wonder why his took so long? I placed my order the 2nd week of August. The original estimate for installation was 10-12 weeks. When my system gets installed on the 19th it’ll have been 14 weeks, so not too far off their estimate. Tesla did have to resubmit the permit application to Phoenix after the city requested changes to the original plans. That delayed things a couple weeks, otherwise it might have been 12 weeks.

I wonder why his took so long? I placed my order the 2nd week of August. The original estimate for installation was 10-12 weeks. When my system gets installed on the 19th it’ll have been 14 weeks, so not too far off their estimate. Tesla did have to resubmit the permit application to Phoenix after the city requested changes to the original plans. That delayed things a couple weeks, otherwise it might have been 12 weeks.
Boy, that is fast.
Just saw an older post here from my son, Sep 2020 about when he started the process or even a bit earlier.
Not sure what will happen with the contract having the ability to monitor each panel production.