Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an aside, neither the City of Buckeye Police nor the City Manager were aware of Arizona Revised Statute 28-876 which allows for a non-EV parking in an EV spot to be fined $350. I provided this information to the City Manager, who then contacted the top AZDOT person at County. Within minutes, the statute was forwarded to the Chief of Police to disseminate to all officers. While this statute may not apply to the supercharger spots, since those are marked "General Parking", the City of Buckeye is taking a stance that it will enforce EV parking restrictions whenever possible.

As an aside, neither the City of Buckeye Police nor the City Manager were aware of Arizona Revised Statute 28-876 which allows for a non-EV parking in an EV spot to be fined $350. I provided this information to the City Manager, who then contacted the top AZDOT person at County. Within minutes, the statute was forwarded to the Chief of Police to disseminate to all officers. While this statute may not apply to the supercharger spots, since those are marked "General Parking", the City of Buckeye is taking a stance that it will enforce EV parking restrictions whenever possible.

Be careful what you ask for in this regard. The statute requires that the EV have an Arizona alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker. Arguably out of state Teslas, or Arizona Teslas without a plate or sticker, do not comply. Even if out of state special plates/stickers were allowed, not all states have them (Nevada, for example). As a Nevada driver, when I come to Arizona and find a designated EV spot ICEd, I would be reluctant to notify the authorities because as soon as I occupied the spot I could be ticketed as well, though I would hope that the police would consider the intent of the statute and that I would at least be safe at a SC site that says Tesla EV Parking or the like. But the statute should be changed given that many out of state cars will be using the SC sites. Any Arizona lawyers/EV owners want to take that on?

In the specific case of Buckeye, if the spots say general parking then I think they probably are not "parking space specially designated for parking and fueling motor vehicles fueled exclusively by electricity" and would fall outside of the statute. But ICEing those spots is just plain rude.

Be careful what you ask for in this regard. The statute requires that the EV have an Arizona alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker. Arguably out of state Teslas, or Arizona Teslas without a plate or sticker, do not comply. Even if out of state special plates/stickers were allowed, not all states have them (Nevada, for example). As a Nevada driver, when I come to Arizona and find a designated EV spot ICEd, I would be reluctant to notify the authorities because as soon as I occupied the spot I could be ticketed as well, though I would hope that the police would consider the intent of the statute and that I would at least be safe at a SC site that says Tesla EV Parking or the like. But the statute should be changed given that many out of state cars will be using the SC sites. Any Arizona lawyers/EV owners want to take that on?

In the specific case of Buckeye, if the spots say general parking then I think they probably are not "parking space specially designated for parking and fueling motor vehicles fueled exclusively by electricity" and would fall outside of the statute. But ICEing those spots is just plain rude.

I agree that the wording of the statute is inane, but the spirit of the law is to prevent ICEing of EV spots. Hopefully if an officer responds to such complaint, the officer will consider the spirit of the law in using his or her discretion. I did not bring this to the city's attention to cause problems for anyone, I simply did it because I am an advocate of EVs and want to do my part to make sure EV spots don't get blocked by ICE vehicles. Right now in AZ, this is the only law that would protect an EV driver in this situation. It's a start.

Again, this certainly would not apply to the supercharger spaces that say "Supercharger General Parking" and I would not create any issues for any ICE vehicles parked there. Blocking or not, they are in compliance with the signage. It's Tesla that created the signage according to the terms that were agreed to between them and the Carl's Jr. franchisee. It's not my place to insert myself into that.

I agree that the wording of the statute is inane, but the spirit of the law is to prevent ICEing of EV spots. Hopefully if an officer responds to such complaint, the officer will consider the spirit of the law in using his or her discretion. I did not bring this to the city's attention to cause problems for anyone, I simply did it because I am an advocate of EVs and want to do my part to make sure EV spots don't get blocked by ICE vehicles. Right now in AZ, this is the only law that would protect an EV driver in this situation. It's a start.

Again, this certainly would not apply to the supercharger spaces that say "Supercharger General Parking" and I would not create any issues for any ICE vehicles parked there. Blocking or not, they are in compliance with the signage. It's Tesla that created the signage according to the terms that were agreed to between them and the Carl's Jr. franchisee. It's not my place to insert myself into that.

Yeah, I don't disagree with anything you say. I merely suggest caution, if you whip out the statute to show it to an otherwise oblivious cop, and you don't have the state plate or sticker, be ready to answer questions about it. If I'm in Phoenix and looking to charge, but all spaces where I am are ICEd, I'd probably first talk to the business hosting the chargers or look for another spot before calling the cops. For example, I drove around the Pointe at South Mountain or whatever they're calling themselves these days a few months ago. There are 8 or so Blink chargers there, 7 were ICEd. Before trying the police I'd talk to hotel management to see if perhaps a spot could be freed up. Parking there is at a premium anyway, I'm not sure I really blame people for parking in the spots that are infrequently used.

Hopefully increased awareness and enforcement will mean spots aren't ICEd as often. But the statute should still be changed. And we need a public shaming site where pictures of ICE cars parking in EV spots can be posted. Not that the ICE drivers will care.

Cross posting from Tesla Cross-Country Trip - Page 23. What do you think of a Kayenta Supercharger? This would make a nice shortcut from Flagstaff to Blanding on the current cross-country route.

2650 S Beulah Blvd, Flagstaff, AZ 86001 to 12 N Grayson Pkwy, Blanding, UT 84511 - Google Maps

I'm curious how they managed Flagstaff -> Blanding. It's 252 miles and my max range charge is around 253 now so I don't think I could attempt it, especially because it looks like there are zero charging options in between. I guess the cars are new and it's about a 1000 foot elevation decrease, but it would be cool to know how fast they drove and how close they cut it.

They actually reported this leg as 247 miles in their Blog at Cross Country Rally: By the Numbers. I have gone 237 miles in the cold and uphill, so I know this is doable with good hypermiling techniques, just be careful. Maybe Tesla will put a Supercharger in at Kayenta, AZ in the future. This would make taking this shortcut much easier, and offer an nice visit to Monument Valley on the way.

Remember those car ads with the car at the top of a butte, most were done in Monument Valley, but you probably need a Skycrane to lift an MS to the top of one of those buttes... :wink:

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't disagree with anything you say. I merely suggest caution, if you whip out the statute to show it to an otherwise oblivious cop, and you don't have the state plate or sticker, be ready to answer questions about it. If I'm in Phoenix and looking to charge, but all spaces where I am are ICEd, I'd probably first talk to the business hosting the chargers or look for another spot before calling the cops. For example, I drove around the Pointe at South Mountain or whatever they're calling themselves these days a few months ago. There are 8 or so Blink chargers there, 7 were ICEd. Before trying the police I'd talk to hotel management to see if perhaps a spot could be freed up. Parking there is at a premium anyway, I'm not sure I really blame people for parking in the spots that are infrequently used.

Hopefully increased awareness and enforcement will mean spots aren't ICEd as often. But the statute should still be changed. And we need a public shaming site where pictures of ICE cars parking in EV spots can be posted. Not that the ICE drivers will care.

I guarantee the ICE drivers will care if they see you taking a photo of their car, including license plate! :)

Regarding a shaming site, does anyone know of any legal ramifications of publishing photos of vehicles with their license plates?

I guarantee the ICE drivers will care if they see you taking a photo of their car, including license plate! :)

Regarding a shaming site, does anyone know of any legal ramifications of publishing photos of vehicles with their license plates?

If the owner were there then I'd take the opportunity to educate them about proper use of the spots.

I don't think someone has much of a complaint about a picture of a car in a public place appearing online. No reasonable expectation of privacy there. And no false statements regarding the context; they're just ICE cars parked in EV charging spots. Probably wouldn't do any good, though, and just invite flames from people pissed off that spots are reserved for who they perceive to be a bunch of people driving glorified golf carts looking for government handouts and undeserved privileges.

If the owner were there then I'd take the opportunity to educate them about proper use of the spots.

I don't think someone has much of a complaint about a picture of a car in a public place appearing online. No reasonable expectation of privacy there. And no false statements regarding the context; they're just ICE cars parked in EV charging spots. Probably wouldn't do any good, though, and just invite flames from people pissed off that spots are reserved for who they perceive to be a bunch of people driving glorified golf carts looking for government handouts and undeserved privileges.

Agreed. And that could lead to retribution - keying of cars, etc. Charge rage, anyone?

[Somewhat relevant to this page, I hope...]

I'm looking for a booster charger between the Blanding and Flagstaff Superchargers, to avoid the extra 190 miles of the S-curve through Farmington, Gallup and Holbrook. At 252 miles it's a little too far to be certain I can make it on any given day, no matter how carefully I drive.

However, RV parks are few and far between along this route: I've found exactly two, and none in Kayenta. The one in Tuba City would be perfect: they have 50A plug-ins and the location is (near enough) midway between Blanding and Flagstaff. Sadly, however, the woman who answered the phone was completely unwilling to consider having me charge for a couple of hours in the middle of the day, even though I was polite, offered to pay, pointed out that hers was the only establishment within a wide radius that had the facilities I needed, etc. I didn't think to write down her name, so flustered was I at the flat rejection.

The Cameron Trading Post RV Park, somewhat further down the road at 196 miles from Blanding, has only 30A plug-ins and nobody there seemed to be able to tell me what voltage they might be, or what flavor of adapter I'd need. What's the most common 30A adapter in use at RV parks? Is there a possibility that it's 120V rather than 240?

So I throw it out to the collective: does anyone know of a better option for charging in between Blanding and Flagstaff?

I'm looking for a booster charger between the Blanding and Flagstaff Superchargers, to avoid the extra 190 miles of the S-curve through Farmington, Gallup and Holbrook. At 252 miles it's a little too far to be certain I can make it on any given day, no matter how carefully I drive.

However, RV parks are few and far between along this route: I've found exactly two, and none in Kayenta. The one in Tuba City would be perfect: they have 50A plug-ins and the location is (near enough) midway between Blanding and Flagstaff. Sadly, however, the woman who answered the phone was completely unwilling to consider having me charge for a couple of hours in the middle of the day, even though I was polite, offered to pay, pointed out that hers was the only establishment within a wide radius that had the facilities I needed, etc. I didn't think to write down her name, so flustered was I at the flat rejection.

The Cameron Trading Post RV Park, somewhat further down the road at 196 miles from Blanding, has only 30A plug-ins and nobody there seemed to be able to tell me what voltage they might be, or what flavor of adapter I'd need. What's the most common 30A adapter in use at RV parks? Is there a possibility that it's 120V rather than 240?

So I throw it out to the collective: does anyone know of a better option for charging in between Blanding and Flagstaff?

Been looking at this route myself for the same reasons as you. The cross-country cars made it, but they had a fresh battery. My plan was to try to charge at 110V overnight at a hotel - even 30 more rated miles would be enough cushion, I think. My other hope is that Green River and Vegas will be ready, and an even more direct route can be taken with an overnight stop in Cedar City. My guess is that 30-amp RV plugs are NEMA-TT but not sure.

Yes, the Tesla team made it, but they did it Northbound with an elevation drop.

Check out Goulding's Lodge/campground in Monument Valley, UT. I have already called and talked to them. They were very receptive to us stopping in for a charge and a bite to eat. They told me they would charge us $10. We plan on stopping there around April 1st. (Goulding's is 73 miles south of Blanding and only around 1 mile off of 163) It seems like an interesting place to check out. Yes, they do have 50 amp.

Last edited:
Also along the way to Blanding from Flagstaff is Bluff, UT. I have heard that Wild Rivers Expeditions is considering putting in some Nema 14-50's. Yes, it is only 25 miles from Blanding but Bluff is a great area to hang around and the one-day San Juan River raft trip is fantastic!

- - - Updated - - -

Steve,

I would suggest you try another phone call to the RV park in Tuba City. I spend a lot of time on the Navajo and Hopi lands. You may get a completely different answer the next time you ask, you might even get another person answering the phone. Also, should you make the trip as suggest via Goulding's, as per bsbomber post above, do think about stopping in at the RV park in Tuba City and speaking to them in person. The Navajo are very kind and accommodating when they speak to you in person.

I wonder how long before the local dealership association causes trouble for the State over this page...

That was probably a rhetorical question, and my answer is, they won't.
The dealer association is essential a slush fund, focused on where to throw money generally to effect legislation. They are not known to have their ear to the ground or responding to the voice of the consumer or the market. (Any executives within the Arizona Automobile Dealers Association feel free to correct me here.)

But equally important is an understanding of what motivates the AOT and how they are funded. Their budget is set by the state legislators and approved by the Governor. Their measurement for success is increase in state tourism as measured by travel and tourism revenue. So AOT really can't be influenced like a legislator can.

To bring this back on-topic, I believe there is more the AOT is considering to promote EV travel and tourism. The fact it's even on their radar, I find pleasantly surprising.

Yes, the Tesla team made it, but they did it Northbound with an elevation drop.

Check out Goulding's Lodge/campground in Monument Valley, UT. I have already called and talked to them. They were very receptive to us stopping in for a charge and a bite to eat. They told me they would charge us $10. We plan on stopping there around April 1st. (Goulding's is 73 miles south of Blanding and only around 1 mile off of 163) It seems like an interesting place to check out. Yes, they do have 50 amp.

Yes, that looks promising; thanks, bsbomber. I might even choose to stay at Goulding's overnight. And I'll definitely stop in Tuba City and talk to the folks at the RV park there, trying to be an ambassador for those who follow. I'll be heading westbound out of Denver on the 24th, weather permitting...and I need Buckeye, too, since I'm headed to El Centro.

Thanks, Monsoon!

Another charging question for the AZ collective: on my way back to CO from El Centro I'll have to leave the Model S at Sky Harbor for two or three days while I take care of some business elsewhere. Is there an airport lot with EV charging that I can use to avoid having to drive back out to Buckeye for a short charge before heading north to Flagstaff, on my return? Between the extra miles detouring to Sky Harbor and the (unknown) vampire losses, I doubt I'll be able to make it to Flagstaff without picking up a few Rated miles.