Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quartzite AZ .......best I could do from Mountain View, California. Hopefully someone will stop by soon and get much better photos!!
IMG_8201.JPG

IMG_8202.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like eight supercharger bays in Quartzite AZ. It also looks like they have another week or so to go to complete the suprcharger site. Thank you to whoever picked up the phone I called...... an went out and took them for us!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_8200.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8200.JPG
    IMG_8200.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 269
Quartzite AZ .......best I could do from Mountain View, California. Hopefully someone will stop by soon and get much better photos!!
View attachment 34898

View attachment 34899

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like eight supercharger bays in Quartzite AZ. It also looks like they have another week or so to go to complete the suprcharger site. Thank you to whoever picked up the phone I called...... an went out and took them for us!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 34901
Thank you! Finally some hard evidence of progress.

Much better topic than the others the last couple days.

Very nice! A clear picture:) photos always bring it to life for those of us far away. .. anyone passing through please ask where the crew is going next... and if they know of any other future locations. Sometimes the installation crews can be a wealth of good solid information. Sure looks like it will be ready next week by the progress they have made so far. Arizonans best be ready, probably on the 19th or 21st, for a ribbon cutting ceremony.... after all it will be the first one to become operational in our state! I-10.... Indio, Ontario?? let's hope so!
If the crew is Walthers out of Kansas they may be headed to Yuma AZ. About a month ago I was told Walthers would be doing the installation in Yuma AZ.

Very nice! A clear picture:) photos always bring it to life for those of us far away. .. anyone passing through please ask where the crew is going next... and if they know of any other future locations. Sometimes the installation crews can be a wealth of good solid information. Sure looks like it will be ready next week by the progress they have made so far. Arizonans best be ready, probably on the 19th or 21st, for a ribbon cutting ceremony.... after all it will be the first one to become operational in our state! I-10.... Indio, Ontario?? let's hope so!
If the crew is Walthers out of Kansas they may be headed to Yuma AZ. About a month ago I was told Walthers would be doing the installation in Yuma AZ.
Here is what Roblab said when I asked him the same question:

"Asked. El Centro next.. no info on Indio. Could not find."

Here is what Roblab said when I asked him the same question:

"Asked. El Centro next.. no info on Indio. Could not find."
Again, awesome info. Really happy to hear/see progress. Of course I'm being picky when I point out that doing Quartzsite and El Centro, while great, still don't plow us a path to either LA or SD. Both are "half done" instead of doing one full path then the other after.

Cool...didn't know where Holbrook was, but makes sense I suppose. Only issue I have with the article is it says 'within a few months' and then says it'll be part of the path enabling LA-NY Travel by end of 2013. Unfortunately, I'm going with the few months since permit hasn't been approved yet.

Great news! I'm sure as winter weather sets in up north it will be much easier to do supercharger installations along I-40 and I-10. I don't even see this one on the 2015 supercharger map.. good to know Tesla is working on getting them installed where necessary and convenient for long distance travel. "FIVE STATIONS TO OPEN IN ARIZONA IN THE COMING MONTHS".... really good news!!

from the article:

“I can confirm that we will be opening a Supercharger in Holbrook in the next few months,” said Alexis Georgeson of Tesla Motors Communications. “We place Superchargers along major corridors that our customers often travel and that connect city centers.”
Georgeson said Tesla Motors is focused on providing free long distance travel across the country.
“The opening of our Holbrook Supercharger and the additional five stations slated to open in Arizona in coming months are a testament to our dedication to the market and the strength of our customer base in the area,” Georgeson said. “Many of these Arizona Supercharger stations, including Holbrook, will support the cross-country route from Los Angeles to New York, which will be completed by the end of 2013.”

Last edited:
Again, awesome info. Really happy to hear/see progress. Of course I'm being picky when I point out that doing Quartzsite and El Centro, while great, still don't plow us a path to either LA or SD. Both are "half done" instead of doing one full path then the other after.

I'm guessing its just a timing issue with either site negotiations or permitting... El Centro was published as a site months ago, so a bit surprised that Quartzsite is ahead. I bet Indio will follow relatively quickly.

Edit: Interestingly, El Centro is only 125 miles from Quartzsite... Not a normal route to San Diego, but it would be feasible once both sites are open (likely by late Nov)... This is good stuff!

Hey -- I'm now 2 for 2 on guesses (I guessed Quartzsite over Blythe, and now Holbrook). 3 of the 6 sites are now confirmed -- Yuma, Quartzsite and Holbrook.

So where will the other 3 sites be? Which routes are they looking to prioritize for the cross-coutnry route? Here's some thoughts:

I-40 corridor -- 2 additional sites needed, but there are a couple options.
  • First: Kingman and Williams would connect to Holbrook. Holbrook then connects to Farmington, NM (via Gallup?). Only problem is that Barstow-Kingman is 205 miles -- so would need another SC in between (Needles?)
  • Second: Seligman and Flagstaff. This assumes a SC goes in at Needles, CA, which is only 143 miles from Barstow and 133 from Seligmam. Flagstaff is 100 miles from Seligman. This would open up Flagstaff and Grand Canyon trips from Phoenix. Only problem is that Seligman doesn't help the Phoenix-Vegas route...

I-10 to Phoenix, 87 to Payson, 260/377 to Holbrook. Would need SCs in Phoenix and Payson -- so also 2 sites

I-8 corridor -- Gila Bend would open up San Diego from both Phoenix and Tucson...

Last edited:
Farmington and now Holbrook. Holbrook-Farmington; 214 miles. Farmington-Glenwood Springs CO, 299 miles...need one more in-between. Now we know which way Elon is going on his Spring cross-country drive. Look for more sc's in-between. Seligman-Holbrook; 166 miles.

Last edited:
Farmington and now Holbrook. Holbrook-Farmington; 214 miles. Farmington-Glenwood Springs CO, 299 miles...need one more in-between. Now we know which way Elon is going on his Spring cross-country drive. Look for more sc's in-between. Seligman-Holbrook; 166 miles.

This is a repeat of what I posted at Tesla Supercharger network - Page 208

==================

Given the Indio projections, the Quartzite progress, the Holbrook news, the Tesla Supercharger map, and the Farmington, NM news, here is my educated guess for the start of Elon's Spring Break trip. A Flagstaff Supercharger would let Elon do a nice out and back to the Grand Canyon! This would work well for many other MS owners to do the same thing in future years, and add a nice Supercharger spot on I-40. Hawthorne, CA to Farmington, NM - Google Maps

I have been thinking a lot about this, because when its in place, I want to do the reverse direction from my house in Pagosa Springs, CO to SoCal with my son. If anyone wants to try it towards Pagosa Springs, there is a public, 70-Amp, J1772 there for your pleasure... :wink: