Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, Monsoon!

Another charging question for the AZ collective: on my way back to CO from El Centro I'll have to leave the Model S at Sky Harbor for two or three days while I take care of some business elsewhere. Is there an airport lot with EV charging that I can use to avoid having to drive back out to Buckeye for a short charge before heading north to Flagstaff, on my return? Between the extra miles detouring to Sky Harbor and the (unknown) vampire losses, I doubt I'll be able to make it to Flagstaff without picking up a few Rated miles.
There are Blink chargers in the Terminal 4 parking lot. But they still charge by the hour (whether you are drawing electricity or not). And I'm only assuming they still actually are operational. Otherwise, there are lots of other Blink chargers in the area too. But again, still aren't free.

Thanks, Monsoon!

Another charging question for the AZ collective: on my way back to CO from El Centro I'll have to leave the Model S at Sky Harbor for two or three days while I take care of some business elsewhere. Is there an airport lot with EV charging that I can use to avoid having to drive back out to Buckeye for a short charge before heading north to Flagstaff, on my return? Between the extra miles detouring to Sky Harbor and the (unknown) vampire losses, I doubt I'll be able to make it to Flagstaff without picking up a few Rated miles.

You can always stop by the Tesla store at Fashion Square and pick up a quick charge there (depending on the time of day I assume). It is a lot closer than Buckeye.

[Somewhat relevant to this page, I hope...]

I'm looking for a booster charger between the Blanding and Flagstaff Superchargers, to avoid the extra 190 miles of the S-curve through Farmington, Gallup and Holbrook. At 252 miles it's a little too far to be certain I can make it on any given day, no matter how carefully I drive.

However, RV parks are few and far between along this route: I've found exactly two, and none in Kayenta. The one in Tuba City would be perfect: they have 50A plug-ins and the location is (near enough) midway between Blanding and Flagstaff. Sadly, however, the woman who answered the phone was completely unwilling to consider having me charge for a couple of hours in the middle of the day, even though I was polite, offered to pay, pointed out that hers was the only establishment within a wide radius that had the facilities I needed, etc. I didn't think to write down her name, so flustered was I at the flat rejection.

The Cameron Trading Post RV Park, somewhat further down the road at 196 miles from Blanding, has only 30A plug-ins and nobody there seemed to be able to tell me what voltage they might be, or what flavor of adapter I'd need. What's the most common 30A adapter in use at RV parks? Is there a possibility that it's 120V rather than 240?

So I throw it out to the collective: does anyone know of a better option for charging in between Blanding and Flagstaff?

At RV parks the 50 amp service is the standard 240V 50 amp outlet NEMA 14-50. The 30 amp service is 120V 30 amp NEMA 14-30. One trailer park I charged at on my Western US Tour last May - June had an adapter with 2 30 amp plugs and one outlet for a combined 240 V 30 amps! I had to adjust my current draw down to 30 amps but otherwise it worked, albeit slower. Here's one online: Conntek RV 50-Amp Power Optimizer (2) RV 30-Amp Plug to 50-Amp 125/250-Volt 14-50R Female Connector:Amazon:Sports Outdoors
I have since been able to buy a single adapter so I can at least pull 110V 30 amps at those RV parks. Unfortunately Tesla doesn't have an adapter for this standard RV park outlet. I know. I have them all (except for CHAdeMO) and I still couldn't charge at one RV park on my trip!

Oh yea, and we were told at one RV park to "leave now". Only a few owners were that narrow minded. Most were excited to see our car and ask about it.

The Cameron RV park rep who answered the phone says their 30A plug-ins are 'triangular' and when asked what voltage she said 'I think they're 120V'. Which ought to mean they're TT-30 rather than 14-30, which is a 240V plug.

Thanks for pointing out the Blink and Tesla store options in Phoenix.

I couldn't see when it is that you'll be coming back from Sky Harbor, but you should bear strongly in mind that for the first ten days of each month, Tesla Fashion Square is conducting its demo rides, which means that just about around the clock they are using all their charge spots to recharge the test vehicles.
So: at other dates you should be okay, except that:

*one of their charge spots is a Roadster spot, meaning you have to enter the store to request the adapter, if that's the only one available;
and
*it might be okay if during that 1st - 10th you are very nice to the very nice employees, and work with their schedule.

My only connection with the store is that it's my go-to charge spot when I'm in the city, as we often spend weekends there and the townhouse has no-electricity parking only. All of the Fashion Square personnel have been super-great to me.

@Stevezzz; mentioning at Fashion Square that you're from way out of town and need a charge to get home, and even if there's a test vehicle charging, you're more likely to get space for a few hours. Also, the FS chargers are used mostly by local folks who are shopping or just topping up, and if made aware of your situation they'll generally (as happened to me once) be more than willing to move their cars out so you can use the charger.

Thanks, Monsoon!

Steve, Depending on the day/time, i'd also offer to let you stop by my place and charge. I live about 7 min from the airport (5 mi from airport with easy access via loop 202). It's a J1772 208V/30A I use for my MS and Volt. PM me details of when you'd need it if you're interested.

I couldn't see when it is that you'll be coming back from Sky Harbor, but you should bear strongly in mind that for the first ten days of each month, Tesla Fashion Square is conducting its demo rides, which means that just about around the clock they are using all their charge spots to recharge the test vehicles.
So: at other dates you should be okay, except that:

*one of their charge spots is a Roadster spot, meaning you have to enter the store to request the adapter, if that's the only one available;
and
*it might be okay if during that 1st - 10th you are very nice to the very nice employees, and work with their schedule.

My only connection with the store is that it's my go-to charge spot when I'm in the city, as we often spend weekends there and the townhouse has no-electricity parking only. All of the Fashion Square personnel have been super-great to me.

Thanks for the warning, AudubonB: I'll be leaving PHX for home on Monday morning, the 3rd of March. Maybe a detour back to Buckeye is the lesser of two weevils, though if I'm taking the Four Corners S-curve I could give Flagstaff a miss and just go straight to Holbrook from Fashion Square.

Right. As Jomo says, though, it absolutely cannot hurt at all for you to get in touch with Fashion Square and apprise them of your situation. Now is not too early. "....and would it be possible on the morning of 3/3 for me to get a boost to allow me to reach the Holbrook SpC...?", for example

Jason at Fashion Square was most helpful. If I arrive during store hours, even though they're doing test drives he says I'll be able to get a booster charge on their HPWC. I'll probably need an hour or so charging to drive on to Flagstaff and a little more if I choose to head straight for Holbrook.

If your stomach can hold out until then, may I suggest you use that charge-time to walk 3 blocks (ask where or google-map it) to The Breakfast Club for a really, really great meal. Outside tables on Scottsdale Ave, too.

So, looks like I'm a GO for an LV trip on the 22nd in my S60. So, Ive started looking at the path to get there. At this point, I'm thinking I would go Tempe (my place) to Wikieup (Dazzo's) to Kingman (SC) to LV. And reverse it on the way back. The only variable is how much maint charge I'll need at Dazzo's each way, less on the way back presumably. using EVTripPlanner to estimate. I'm thinking it'll be abt. 90-120 min charge there on the way up to be sure.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

So, looks like I'm a GO for an LV trip on the 22nd in my S60. So, Ive started looking at the path to get there. At this point, I'm thinking I would go Tempe (my place) to Wikieup (Dazzo's) to Kingman (SC) to LV. And reverse it on the way back. The only variable is how much maint charge I'll need at Dazzo's each way, less on the way back presumably. using EVTripPlanner to estimate. I'm thinking it'll be abt. 90-120 min charge there on the way up to be sure.

Good luck with your trip, please post some details once you've done it. I also have a 60, and do the trip the opposite from you, being from Tempe but now living in Las Vegas. Once the Wickenburg charger is in this will be a piece of cake.

Could you make it to far NW Phoenix area, say Surprise, from Kingman and charge there rather than stopping in Wikieup? Possibly the same on the way out?

Good luck with your trip, please post some details once you've done it. I also have a 60, and do the trip the opposite from you, being from Tempe but now living in Las Vegas. Once the Wickenburg charger is in this will be a piece of cake.

Could you make it to far NW Phoenix area, say Surprise, from Kingman and charge there rather than stopping in Wikieup? Possibly the same on the way out?

Thanks! My original thought was to stop in Surprise each way. But I def can't make it to Kingman from Surprise. And it's questionable if I could make it there from Kingman. Thus it's a stop in Wikieup (or somewhere else in between) eithe way. So, I'd just stop once instead, unless I need an early bathroom/coffee break on the way there :)

I will try to keep as good stats as I can. I will be doing it probably in as ideal temps as possible, so this would be a best case. Winter and summer will use more. I'll post a report once I'm back.

Agree that once Wickenburg is up and running this will be very straightforward and take an hour less time.

I also have a 60... We're doing a trip to the Grand Canyon this weekend... We should be able to make it to the Flagstaff supercharger from our house (far north Scottsdale), but I'm still considering a stop at the Anthem outlets to add back the ~20 miles I'll use getting to Anthem. Without stopping at Anthem, EVTripper estimates I'll use 180 rated to go the 130 actual miles from my house the the Flagstaff SC. I previously did a trip up to Arcosanti (the trip MarkR organized in Nov...) -- and EVTripper's estimate was pretty close to actual on the climb up, even though we were doing ~10 over the limit. I've put together an "alternate charging" chart that gives me the "remaining rated range" needed at 4 points along I-17 -- including a 10% buffer. If I have that showing, I'll continue -- otherwise it will be a stop at either an RV park in Camp Verde or detouring to the hotel in Sedona that has a 14-50 outlet...

Once we get up to Flagstaff, the rest of the trip will be easy. Charge up at the Supercharger on the way up and the way back, plus overnight at Trailer Village in the park (we're staying at El Tovar...)...

jomo -
Good travels! I'll be interested to hear how the Las Vegas trip goes... I agree that once the Wickenburg SC is up, that will be an easy trip for us 60s... Until then, the stop at Dazzos is necessary...

awesome… good luck. I'm sure many Phoenicians will be watching for your stats. I'll be doing the drive next month, but in an S85, so the crucial point will be at Dazzo's, and I'll need to know if I need a maint charge to make it to Kingman from there.
Also, I'm curious to know how your experience goes at Dazzo's. (do you need to call ahead, or just show up?)
It sounds like they are going to get familiar with the Tesla crowd!

awesome… good luck. I'm sure many Phoenicians will be watching for your stats. I'll be doing the drive next month, but in an S85, so the crucial point will be at Dazzo's, and I'll need to know if I need a maint charge to make it to Kingman from there.
Also, I'm curious to know how your experience goes at Dazzo's. (do you need to call ahead, or just show up?)
Well they will, until the hoped-for Wickenburg SCs are put in place. Dazzo's has rec'd good feedback on Plugshare and from others on the forum who have used them. So, I'm assuming it'll be straightforward as long as I get there during their normal business hours (8AM-8:30PM daily). I'm surprised they don't list anything related to EV charging on their website under services. I will call ahead for sure to cover my bases. And further, I will call the RV park closer to Kingman (before the climb) as a failsafe.

I had considered going the Quartzsite-Kingman-LV route, which would allow me to go SC-only, but decided its much further out of the way than its worth. Also, having never used an SC yet (and knowing I can charge via the UMC) I guess the Dazzo's route gives me a way to abort is absolutely necessary. I seriously doubt it would come to that, but better be safe and prepared I suppose.

I can almost taste the Chicago Italian Beef at Dazzo's already :)

Last May I left Scottsdale Fashion Square with 216 rated miles. Made it to Dazzo's with 63 rated miles remaining. Charged to about 80 rated for the 52 miles remaining to the Kingman KOA. Arrived with 6 rated (whew!) I was traveling from Tucson and didn't want to spend the extra time to get a full charge in Scottsdale. Now with the Buckeye SC, no problem. Pretty sure I could've made it to Kingman without stopping, if driving conservatively.