Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll admit not to having scoured all SpC threads for a similar observation, but I was examining Tesla's SpC map last evening, and as far out as the "2015" end of their conceptual build-out, there is a too-large gap on the I-10 corridor. The distance between Casa Grande and the next-east site, which appears to be Lordsburg, NM, is 226 miles.

Too far, too far....

Willcox would work well.

I'll admit not to having scoured all SpC threads for a similar observation, but I was examining Tesla's SpC map last evening, and as far out as the "2015" end of their conceptual build-out, there is a too-large gap on the I-10 corridor. The distance between Casa Grande and the next-east site, which appears to be Lordsburg, NM, is 226 miles.

Too far, too far....

Willcox would work well.

And that route would eat up your rated range, there's quiet a few steep hill climbs.

Too far, too far....

Willcox would work well.

Tesla has shown repeatedly that the map is just a rough approximation of a plan; some have even suggested an exercise in throwing darts. :wink: In reality, for easy, unconcerned travel by 60's and very quick charges for 85's, the Superchargers need to be placed every 100 to 130 miles on flat ground; closer with elevation changes. In many areas, this is what Tesla is doing. There are a few exceptions, but over time, I am sure that Tesla will be filling them in.

If Tesla continues with its success, I firmly believe that in the future, they will be working on in-fill of Superchargers. Having more, closely-spaced chargers, offers owners more choices, increases total capacity, and adds geographic reliability to the system.

Tesla has shown repeatedly that the map is just a rough approximation of a plan; some have even suggested an exercise in throwing darts. :wink: In reality, for easy, unconcerned travel by 60's and very quick charges for 85's, the Superchargers need to be placed every 100 to 130 miles on flat ground; closer with elevation changes. In many areas, this is what Tesla is doing. There are a few exceptions, but over time, I am sure that Tesla will be filling them in.

If Tesla continues with its success, I firmly believe that in the future, they will be working on in-fill of Superchargers. Having more, closely-spaced chargers, offers owners more choices, increases total capacity, and adds geographic reliability to the system.

Hopefully they look at these forums, there is lots of great local knowledge to help decide where, in general and specifically, to add sites.

Doing my first supercharge -- in Flagstaff. Amazing!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392578663.012815.jpg

Too far, too far....

Willcox would work well.

Agree that Casa Grande, AZ to Lordsburg, NM is too far a stretch, especially in the summer with the obvious need for A/C. I'd suggest Benson, AZ as a better middle point for a supercharger. Either location would foster visitors to the beautiful Aravaipa Canyon near Willcox or the popular Kartchner Caverns close to Benson.

Last edited:
Congrats! Awesome. Mine should be on Saturday. Did you make it all the way to Flagstaff or did you stop in Anthem?

No stop in Anthem. 130 actual miles used 186 rated miles. Drove the speed limit all but the last 20 miles, where we went 5 over after it was obvious we had plenty of range. The black P85 charging next to us had Montana plates -- and blew past us on the drop into Camp Verde.

I used EVTripper to put together a waypoint check showing the rated miles estimate to get to Flagstaff from 4 points along the way (and added 10% buffer). At each point we had 2-15 additional rated miles shown than the checklist estimate, so we kept going. The 4 waypoints all had an alternate charging spot ID'd... At Anthem, we had 181 rated showing and we arrived in Flagstaff with 13 remaining...

One other observation is that the projected range from the 30mile energy graph mostly stayed above the remaining miles to go. Around Munds Park, it dropped below and was showing 2 miles less than the remaining. The climb up from Camp Verde averaged over 550 Wh/mi...

That was the worst 30 mile stretch. The full 130 miles was 383...

We're at Flagstaff again charging up for the return down the hill... Curious to see what the downhill average is!

Just remember to correct at 6-7 rated miles per 1,000 feet and it should all normalize out.

Potential energy from vertical gain is the same as energy in (or out) of the battery. It takes 6-7 rated miles per 1,000 feet to climb the hill and you get it back when you descend; a good reason to put Superchargers up high on a hill. There is less in the battery when you get there, you charge faster, and you get that potential energy bonus going down. :wink:

Just remember to correct at 6-7 rated miles per 1,000 feet and it should all normalize out.

Potential energy from vertical gain is the same as energy in (or out) of the battery. It takes 6-7 rated miles per 1,000 feet to climb the hill and you get it back when you descend; a good reason to put Superchargers up high on a hill. There is less in the battery when you get there, you charge faster, and you get that potential energy bonus going down. :wink:

That drive was a net 5000 foot climb -- but 9000 up and 4000 down. Using 7 miles lost per 1000 foot climb, and 3 miles gained per 1000 foot drop works out to an adjustment of 51 miles over rated. 130+51=181 vs the 186 I used, so pretty close...

That drive was a net 5000 foot climb -- but 9000 up and 4000 down. Using 7 miles lost per 1000 foot climb, and 3 miles gained per 1000 foot drop works out to an adjustment of 51 miles over rated. 130+51=181 vs the 186 I used, so pretty close...

No that less up than down, only happens with VERY steep descents; very few Interstates have such descents. Even in steep descents, for every 10 miles you actually see regened, you lose maybe 3 miles. There are very few descents that will give you 10 miles back into the battery. I've probably crossed the Continental Divide 100 times in Colorado, many times in hypermile mode; you get almost all the energy back as long as you keep regen in normal mode and use the brakes very little.

If you really want to be conservative, then use 7 miles up and 6 miles down. That would work out to 7*9-4*6=39 net rated miles extra; I'd bet you are closer to 35 delta for both up and down. See how it works for you.

No that less up than down, only happens with VERY steep descents; very few Interstates have such descents. Even in steep descents, for every 10 miles you actually see regened, you lose maybe 3 miles. There are very few descents that will give you 10 miles back into the battery. I've probably crossed the Continental Divide 100 times in Colorado, many times in hypermile mode; you get almost all the energy back as long as you keep regen in normal mode and use the brakes very little.

If you really want to be conservative, then use 7 miles up and 6 miles down. That would work out to 7*9-4*6=39 net rated miles extra; I'd bet you are closer to 35 delta for both up and down. See how it works for you.
I suppose the Phoenix-Flagstaff stretch (esp the Campe Verde to Flagstaff) must be just such a stretch because ZBB's numbers are third time I've see someone come close to that "+7 per 1000 up, -3 per 1000 down" calculation on the drive.