Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yet another example of why I strongly recommend to Tesla buyers to get dual chargers. Between Show Rooms, Service Centers, Sun Country Highway, personal HPWC's, and places like Picacho Peak, there are more places than you first think where dual chargers are useful...

Oh trust me.....I'm with you on that!!! I'm very frustrated that the benefit of twin chargers wasn't explained to me (and I didn't do my own research) when I bought the car. They focused on how you didn't need the HPWC cause you can charge on 14-50 overnight just fine - which is completely true! But they didn't mention that (at the time) the HPWC came with the twin charger, and that you could benefit from that when on the road. That is my only and HUGE regret in my configuration. I can't recommend strongly enough to anyone out there to just get them.....as AmpedRealtor said, you can never have too many charging options! And now that they decoupled it from the HPWC, its more affordable. And if money were an issue, there are so many other options I'd forgo in order to get the twin chargers. I've only had the car since December, and already had 4-5 times where they would have been beneficial.

Just keep in mind that the only hi-amp L2 public charging spots in AZ are in Picacho Peak, Tesla at Scottsdale Fashion Square, and Tesla Service in Scottsdale...

I only have a single charger and have no need for dual chargers based on my usage...

Spoke to Casa Grande Planning and Zoning today. They stated that the Casa Grande Supercharger will be located at Culver's Ice Cream Store, 2453 E Florence, Casa Grande. This is a nice fast food/ice cream restaurant. It is located directly across the street from Mimi's, In and Out, Subway and a Harkins theater. All this is part of the Promenade Mall in Casa Grande just one block off the freeway.

Planning and zoning stated that the plans had been approved and they were awaiting the formal permit application. They indicated that it should be forthcoming in the next week or two.

Called Culvers and spoke to general manager, who after verifying his information with the owner, told me that they expected building to begin around the first of September and be completed before the snowbirds arrive. That would be middle of October or so.

This will certainly make travel from Tucson easier.

Spoke to Casa Grande Planning and Zoning today. They stated that the Casa Grande Supercharger will be located at Culver's Ice Cream Store, 2453 E Florence, Casa Grande. This is a nice fast food/ice cream restaurant. It is located directly across the street from Mimi's, In and Out, Subway and a Harkins theater. All this is part of the Promenade Mall in Casa Grande just one block off the freeway.

Planning and zoning stated that the plans had been approved and they were awaiting the formal permit application. They indicated that it should be forthcoming in the next week or two.

Called Culvers and spoke to general manager, who after verifying his information with the owner, told me that they expected building to begin around the first of September and be completed before the snowbirds arrive. That would be middle of October or so.

Great news and seems like a very good location. Culvers, Mimi's, In N Out, Subway are decent choices...Thanks for the investigative work!

This is great news! This charger is going to be such a life saver for Tesla people in Phoenix and southern AZ and opens up a lot of awesome destinations for Phoenix people.

With the opening of Cordes and Casa Grande, it looks like the Arizona supercharging network is about as big as it's going to be until 2015. Hope that Tesla recognizes the need for an additional location in southeastern Arizona.
Yes, but that would assist in providing access to the Texas Island. And we know that TM is trying to keep them isolated.:wink:

Awesome news about Cordes Lakes. The only one remaining among the ones I pined for when this all started is El Centro. When that one goes live, then all my immediate travel needs are complete. But I can live without it for now, as either (a) I can go the i-10 route to SD if need be, or (b) I will have upgraded to the X85 by then :)

I agree! I could really use one around Benson or Willcox.

And one for Jacob Lake (or more realistically Page)!
Placement of a Supercharger in a Benson, AZ makes the most sense because 222 miles between Casa Grande, AZ and the planned (2015) SCS in Lordsburg, NM is just too far.

The southern string of SCS shown on the 2015 map is a recipe for disaster without an additional station in Southern AZ if one considers the distance, highway speeds, the extreme temperatures, the need for A/C, and some battery degradation.

Placement of a Supercharger in a Benson, AZ makes the most sense because 222 miles between Casa Grande, AZ and the planned (2015) SCS in Lordsburg, NM is just too far.
The southern string of SCS shown on the 2015 map is a recipe for disaster without an additional station in Southern AZ if one considers the distance, highway speeds, the extreme temperatures, the need for A/C, and some battery degradation.

We definitely need a Supercharge in the Benson/Wilcox area. But, also, don't forget that adding a Supercharger to Globe, AZ allows travel from Casa Grande to Lordsburg. It's 239 total miles - 86 miles to Globe and 153 miles to Lordsburg. The Globe supercharger also allows better access to Phoenix and Tucson when traveling from/to the Holbrook Supercharger. As a mater of fact, I was helping a friend drive a Tesla last week from Maryland to Tucson. We stopped in Holbrook and then headed to Globe and then to Tucson. Of course, I have a house in Pinetop and we topped up there, but with a Globe Supercharger that would not be necessary. Globe is also useful for travel to the White Mountains from either Phoenix or Tucson.

Here's my take on where it would be great to see additional Superchargers in AZ: Since I have a 60, I put a 60 mile radius around the existing Supercharger locations on supercharge.info -- gives a feel where the gaps are:

Agree with the others:
1) Benson / Wilcox -- I'd personally prefer Benson since it opens up access to Sierra Vista / Tombstone, but either would really work
2) Globe
3) Page

Other thoughts
1) Tuba City or Kayenta -- opens up the 4 Corners without having to do the "S Turn" through Gallup / Farmington
2) Payson -- Allows access to Holbrook from the Phoenix area without going through Flagstaff. This may be the 2015 dot on the map, although that looks more like Heber, which would be too much of an elevation gain for us 60s...
3) Nogales area (or as far north as Green Valley) -- would allow day trips to Nogales

Here's my take on where it would be great to see additional Superchargers in AZ: Since I have a 60, I put a 60 mile radius around the existing Supercharger locations on supercharge.info -- gives a feel where the gaps are:

Agree with the others:
1) Benson / Wilcox -- I'd personally prefer Benson since it opens up access to Sierra Vista / Tombstone, but either would really work
2) Globe
3) Page

Other thoughts
1) Tuba City or Kayenta -- opens up the 4 Corners without having to do the "S Turn" through Gallup / Farmington
2) Payson -- Allows access to Holbrook from the Phoenix area without going through Flagstaff. This may be the 2015 dot on the map, although that looks more like Heber, which would be too much of an elevation gain for us 60s...
3) Nogales area (or as far north as Green Valley) -- would allow day trips to Nogales
Agree on all points.

4 Potentially New 2016 AZ Superchargers Based on (redacted) Tesla Map

Based on the following post, there will potentially be 4 more AZ superchargers in 2016: Supercharger growth - Page 14. Please note that currently these maps have been removed from the main Tesla website.

I've made an overlay map and it appears that the 4 locations are:

Near Needles (could be CA location)
Globe, AZ (pin on map)
Tucson, AZ
Benson, AZ

2016 AZ Superchargers (With map).PNG

There's a thread about the Needles location -- mayor was quoted as saying a Supercharger would be built there...

but.. Is that a pin up on the Navajo Reservation? Appears south of the Utah border...

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at the 2016 map in this post: Supercharger growth - Page 14

There are pins in Page and Kayenta also. Adding in Araxara's observations of Globe, Benson and Tucson, that would be 5 more in AZ, plus Needles CA.

too bad they are 2016 though. Would be nice to see some this year.