Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arrive with minimum % battery - Navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there is a way to set the Navigation to arrive with a minimum amount of battery % remaining?

The reason I ask, I did a long journey at the weekend. I put in the destination and the Navigation said I should arrive with 7%. That's greats except the nearest supercharger for the return journey was 30 miles away and I would have not made that on my way back. I ended manually added a supercharger destination on my navigation for the journey and stopping for brekky on the way.

I didn't mind too much doing this manually bit is there a better way?

It’s a feature I have long wished was available- along with the obvious missing/fix for poorly implemented features and a speed limiter, it’s probably with them at the top of the list.

Thankfully waypoints help some use cases but not all, but they are a fairly recent addition and Tesla seemed to only begrudgingly added that functionality. So maybe one day it will come.

Anyone know what the ‘minimum destination arrival %’ actually is?

Reactions: piffmunday
Can you send the route to the car so it pre-conditions etc?
Nope, need to enter the waypoints manually into the Tesla app to send to car sadly.
But for longer trips and unfamiliar routes I still find that the extra step of juggling between the two is worth it, you can view alternate routes, sometimes prefer other non-Tesla but more direct SCs that wouldn't have been suggested otherwise, etc...

I wish it had this as well. I keep getting routed to superchargers to arrive with single digit charge levels which on an older car is just asking for trouble. I'd prefer 10-15% then there's some margin and 12v is less likely to be left to go uncharged. Could also set 20% for winter. Ended up doing about 55-60mph instead of the usual 65-70 a few weeks ago as it decided on Hopwood again instead of a nearer one. Pitched up with 11 miles remaining, which is just silly low to me. Made it a much more tiresome and fraught journey than it should have been.

The destination percentage if you can't get back is usually organised part way through as it will calculate return battery level to a suitable charger. Or it used to.

The more annoying thing now is that the charger list seems to be full of third party chargers not just superchargers and I always want superchargers first and the rest in another tab out of the way. Tried to find somewhere other than Hopwood and it was being stupid and not even finding Warwick superchargers.

Does it work that way around? I knew I could share from abrp to tesla but only had the first stop as the it's route. So if I share to Google then from there to tesla it works?
When I do the 770 mile roundtrip to Scotland, I plan it on ABRP. That gives me a couple of stops on the way up and I arrive at my parent;s with 30% charge. As per guidance above, I export that to Google Maps (on the ABRP app) then send to the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Routledge
Ok. What I meant was, what value or algorithm does the car use to determine a minimum arrival % before it starts suggesting mitigation strategies, ie charging stops.
It's been my experience on road trips that Tesla tries to get you to the next SC destination with at least 10% of charge. For instance, you have a very long gap on the highway so there is really only one choice for the charging stop you are at - stay there long enough to achieve 10% estimated arrival.

It's easy to see when charging because it won't tell you to go on until the next stop sees 10% - then it will tell you that you can continue your journey.

WHILE CHARGING, the only option you really have is to stay longer or not. The algorithm will take into account your car model, weather, elevation and some form of using your average speed over recent time to determine your projected energy usage. IF you have an exceptionally long gap to the next SC, it may tell you that you need to drive below a certain speed even with 100% charge.

Once driving, more factors come into play. At this point I don't quite know what it plans if it see that you are getting to the next station with less than 10%, but I think that is when you start getting speed warnings. Realistically, speed control is the only control you have right then. I don't think it cares how fast you are going until the estimated destination charge drops to 10% or less. I will sometimes drive faster if i see that I am going to arrive with 'too much charge', and I want to arrive at 10%.

Arriving at 10%, and playing with speed to achieve that, is desirable to the extent that you want to maximize charging speed, which for my car is fastest at 10% with the battery preconditioned. Arriving with 30% gets me a far slower charge rate. So here are two ways to do this, and some implications:
1. Charge 'extra' to always have lots of buffer for unexpected conditions. Perhaps a storm, or a road closure. Let's say you are arriving at a SC at 30% and charging to 80%.
2. Arrive with 10% buffer and charge to 60%.
In both cases you add 50% charge. But the first option is going to be several minutes slower than the second option, and you will add those extra minutes to your trip with every charge stop.

Even better, assuming you have SC's in the right places, might be to charge from 10% to 30% and stop twice as often. More stops, but much quicker stops. This is actually the fastest way to road trip, if the SC locations (and speeds) are conveniently sited.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
no idea, sometimes it is 10% or 15%. It must depend on the supercharger availability nearby amongst other things?
It's almost always 10% in my (limited) road trip experience. That gives you quite a bit of buffer - should be up to 30 miles - in case of headwinds and the like.

The way I tell is by looking at when the car tells me I can continue my journey (to the next Supercharger). It's always when the estimate hits 10% arrival charge at the next SC. Happens to be the fastest part of the charging curve too.

Reactions: karlos22
What happens if you are navigating to a destination which, like OP, estimates 7% arrival but nearest supercharger is 30 miles away.

How did that work?

Also, is it still using ‘as the bird flies’ distances when calculating distances to superchargers? Long time since I checked. My nearest supercharger use to be only accessible wrong side of a motorway, so I had to go well past it to then come back. Something like supercharger distance reported as being 6 miles away, but was a 15 mile drive to get there.