Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At Home Charging costs vs. Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My home averages .22/kWh that includes all costs and pretty much year round. Luckily my boss put in a charger at office for my Old Prius Prime years ago, and now we charge about 3 cars during the day. Since I get in first I get it for free for at least 2 hours every day. So anyway, at home is about 2/3 Supercharger price, but I hardly pay any thing for normal commute.

It sounds like this could be a great alternative / modernization to the "company car" situation that was so popular decades ago. They don't provide the car, but they provide the electricity for their employees to get to/from work.

My home averages .22/kWh that includes all costs and pretty much year round. Luckily my boss put in a charger at office for my Old Prius Prime years ago, and now we charge about 3 cars during the day. Since I get in first I get it for free for at least 2 hours every day. So anyway, at home is about 2/3 Supercharger price, but I hardly pay any thing for normal commute.
That's great. I will have access to a 115 at my garage. It ain't much but it's free and I'm parked there ten hours a day.

It's almost certainly going to be cheaper to charge at home than a supercharger, the amount will vary depending on your specific electrical rates.

The important thing to most people isn't the couple dollars saved doing home over supercharging, but the time saved and the convienence. I don't even like going out of my way to get gas which only takes a few minutes. If I had to regularly charge at a super charger for an hour or two a week to account for how much I drive, it would take away a lot of the benefit of having an EV.

Driving home and just plugging it in before I relax is the real benefit. Also being Canadian, to know that my car will be defrosted and charged at the time I am ready to leave in the morning is priceless. Waking up early to start an ICE vehicle, even remotely, seems like a hassle now. Plus I don't have to worry about accidently falling back asleep to either wake up to a car that's been wasting gas for 1+ hour or to a car that only ran for 10 minutes because of the software and then turned off and got cold again.

If I had to regularly charge at a super charger for an hour or two a week to account for how much I drive, it would take away a lot of the benefit of having an EV.

Driving home and just plugging it in before I relax is the real benefit.

100% this. For me this is like half the reason to get an EV. People say "EVS ARE SO INCONVENIENT YOU HAVE TO GO CHARGE FOR AN HOUR AT A PLACE THAT'S NOT NEAR YOUR HOUSE!"

Bruh, I charge AT my house. I'm sitting on the toilet or sleeping or playing video games or eating dinner or whatever the hell I want to be doing while my car is "refueling". Losers in gasoline vehicles have to go somewhere. They don't even have the option to fuel at home.

Late for work AND have to stop for gas? Nah, not me. I leave the house with 200 miles of range. Every day.

mic drop.gif

All this is relative to where you live…

You have some states as low as 0.06kwh

If you’re in California. Rates are pretty high.

Supercharger is.48 peak and.24 off peak

My home is on a tier 25/32/45
If I go TOU it’s .20 off peak and .45 peak

I’ve decided to just use the supercharger

Lol, that's happened to you?

Ooohhh, look at mister hotshot "Never Fallen Asleep After Starting The Car" guy over here. I bet you've never boiled a pot of water completely dry either.

;)

Home charging is so much cheaper than supercharging you wouldn't even believe how much cheaper it is.......especially if you plug into a neighbor's charger after they go to sleep..........least that's what I've been told.

Sshhhhhh ... we do not talk about such things.

It sounds like this could be a great alternative / modernization to the "company car" situation that was so popular decades ago. They don't provide the car, but they provide the electricity for their employees to get to/from work.
Quite a few companies here in the Bay Area offer free charging for employees. I live near the YouTube offices, and they must have 50+ ChargePoint units spread across their parking lots.

All the Superchargers here are very expensive though. $0.48 peak, which is most of the day, and $0.24 off peak. Electricity is expensive too. $0.21 is the cheapest you can get from PGE, though many cities have special deals for cheaper rates.

I calculated what my current truck gets with current fuel prices vs Tesla Home charging (using Electric company rates) vs Tesla Super Charging (using local rates).

MPGCost/Gal.Cost/MileMilesMiles$/100$/300Efficiency
2016 Tacoma17$ 4.10$ 0.24100300$ 24.12$ 72.35
kWhCost/kWh
Tesla M3P Home300.11$ 0.031001300$ 3.30$ 9.90
86%​
Tesla M3P SC300.35$ 0.11100300$ 10.50$ 31.50
56%​

Last edited:
I calculated what my current truck gets with current fuel prices vs Tesla Home charging (using Electric company rates) vs Tesla Super Charging (using local rates).

MPGCost/Ga;Cost/MileMilesMiles$/100$/300Efficiency
Truck17$ 4.10$ 0.24100300$ 24.12$ 72.35
kWhCost/kWh
Tesla Home300.11$ 0.031001300$ 3.30$ 9.90
86%​
Tesla SC300.35$ 0.11100300$ 10.50$ 31.50
56%​

For full disclosure you should identify your model/year of truck and Tesla.

It's also important to note they don't perform the same task. Comparing any model Tesla to any model pickup truck currently is not a fair comparison for either vehicle. Comparing a Tesla Model 3 to a Corolla would be a much more fair comparison. But seeing your numbers is helpful.

For full disclosure you should identify your model/year of truck and Tesla.

It's also important to note they don't perform the same task. Comparing any model Tesla to any model pickup truck currently is not a fair comparison for either vehicle. Comparing a Tesla Model 3 to a Corolla would be a much more fair comparison. But seeing your numbers is helpful.
I didn't think about the comparison. I was comparing how it would effect my commute with Tesla vs. Current transportation to calculate savings. I updated with the details you mentioned even though it isn't a true comparison.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I didn't think about the comparison. I was comparing how it would effect my commute with Tesla vs. Current transportation to calculate savings. I updated with the details you mentioned even though it isn't a true comparison.

Well, commuting in a Tacoma is your first problem ;) Thanks for updating - it really does make a difference. Anyone who's against EVs is going to be super critical of data online that seems misleading or doesn't share the whole picture.

Even a Corolla that gets twice the MPG of your Tacoma will still cost considerably more than any EV charged at home.

Anyone that is buying a new non-electric vehicle now for the primary purpose of commuting is just doing it wrong. "But I can't charge at home/apartment." Fix that or move. Everything about your life will improve.

Question for those who use both. I know there are many factors that come into play, especially location and peak/off-peak hours, but just as a broad approximation: how much less expensive is charging at home than using a super charger? Is it as much as 50% cheaper?
Well in my case it is infinitely cheaper at supercharger since it is free. HOWEVER, I would be interested in knowing what people are paying at a supercharger in the northern Nevada area. Charging at home is about 9 cents per KWh. (Neighbor wants to know since he will have to pay for supercharging up here)