Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to Repair Front Collision Salvaged Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
=======
UPDATE
=======

1) I have scheduled my salvage inspection for December 11th. Hopefully I’ll be ready by then!

2) I removed the seat belts and will send them out for repair in the next couple days.

FEEFD5C0-0713-4F5D-AFED-789A8AB1A775.jpeg
FFF4CA8E-C521-4E4C-8319-2E8B856EB7DC.jpeg

3) The headlight, bumper, and grill arrived today so I installed them. Once again, I got lucky finding a green bumper to match the car and hood.

D3415DB3-4504-4874-BD72-59CABB23EBF8.jpeg
BC454C38-5756-4713-BC99-A170C05E8845.jpeg
E5942EF6-AF74-44FF-8931-371DDA49E8CF.jpeg
CF85509D-8E10-452A-91EE-66A7235046AC.jpeg

I will most likely have to replace the fender if the current one cannot be repaired. Also, note that I have not installed the fog lights yet. Instead, I’ll most likely wait until after the salvage inspection since it’s not critical right now.

4) I’ll start working on removing the airbag module tomorrow so I can get the crash data reset, which in turn should remove the deployed airbag indicator on the front dash.

5) The final step will be to install the four front airbags. My only concern is the airbags may not register properly unless those new parts are re-programmed. Does anyone have experince with this? Any advice?

Great progress !! Proud of you :)

Question: you scheduled for Dec 11th, is it because there is a long waiting list?
Fog lights: don't you think they will want to have them in place for the inspection?
From 1 to 10 how difficult was it to install the front bumper and headlight?
As you will need some work on the hood, you might want to have a body shop looking at your fender to see what's wrong before replacing it...

Did you take it for a spin so see if you hear weird noise ? (suspension ....)
Also the inside of you frunk is in good shape?

Glad to see your progress.

Question: you scheduled for Dec 11th, is it because there is a long waiting list?

Yes, with regard to my location, appointment availability is usually 2-3 weeks out.

Fog lights: don't you think they will want to have them in place for the inspection?

I don't think they will be required. In fact, I doubt they will even notice/care. It is my understanding the purpose of the inspection is to ensure the car is not stolen and parts used to fix the vehicle were properly acquired/purchased.

From 1 to 10 how difficult was it to install the front bumper and headlight?

Extremely simple. I installed the headlight in about 10 minutes and the bumper in about 15 minutes.

As you will need some work on the hood, you might want to have a body shop looking at your fender to see what's wrong before replacing it...

Yes, that is the plan. Once the car is titled and tagged, I will drive around to a few body shops and get quotes.

Did you take it for a spin so see if you hear weird noise ? (suspension ....)

I'm not hearing any noise at all. The suspension is great and works fine! I'm able to adjust the setting to 'high', 'normal', and 'low' without any issues.

Also the inside of you frunk is in good shape?

The frunk is in great shape. I have not noticed any structural damage at all. I will most likely install the tub and padding a few days prior to the inspection.

Glad to see your progress.

Thanks, @albatore! I'm excited to get the car on the road soon!

Reactions: albatore
All guessing here.

From the video the problem is the HVAC hose? It looks like the condensate drain. If so, you should be able to pull it off to gain clearance. Assuming it's flexible, once you have it disconnected up top, you may be able to bend it toward the driver side to clear the tab.

=======
UPDATE
=======

I'm in the process of removing the airbag module and it's been quite a challenge, to stay the least. I created a video explaining where I'm stuck. In short however, I'm unable to remove the black plastic cover which houses both the airbag/air suspension module.

Click Here to Watch Video Explanation

Some images:
View attachment 262935 View attachment 262936 View attachment 262937 View attachment 262938 View attachment 262939 View attachment 262940

@Ingineer any thoughts?
Can the cover rotate 45 degrees counter clockwise?

Can the cover rotate 45 degrees counter clockwise?

I'm unable to rotate the cover in any direction.

All guessing here.
From the video the problem is the HVAC hose? It looks like the condensate drain. If so, you should be able to pull it off to gain clearance. Assuming it's flexible, once you have it disconnected up top, you may be able to bend it toward the driver side to clear the tab.

Yes, it seems the problem is the HVAC drain hose. And I think you're right, if I pull it off, hopefully I should gain clearance. I was really hoping to avoid doing so, but it seems there is no other feasible option..

I used an extension bar to slide the plastic lip underneath the hose. However, the cover is now hitting the acceleration pedal. I tried turning the car on and pressing the acceleration pedal while in park, but that does not work.

Still stuck :(

CA658E6F-A0D2-4B5B-9046-C0FFC1084372.jpeg
133AFAD3-750F-48F7-AB13-96C198482500.jpeg
55E49C9A-D9CA-45BC-BB71-EE4D89AB6E77.jpeg
81FB5499-680E-46D4-AE45-2FFD4C1DDE77.jpeg

The factory service manual on removal of this makes it sound fairly easy, but it has to be done in a special way..

Yeah, I imagine there are certain tools and such that make it easy for the technicians, perhaps. But they sure as heck don't make it easy for the average joe.

I imagine most Tesla technicians have limited experience removing the airbag module since they primarily work on "supported cars", which means (1) it's not salvaged (2) and probably never been in a serious accident. Although, I could be wrong.