Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to Repair Front Collision Salvaged Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine most Tesla technicians have limited experience removing the airbag module since they primarily work on "supported cars", which means (1) it's not salvaged (2) and probably never been in a serious accident. Although, I could be wrong.

You are probably correct, but for the wrong reason. Most cars that would need the airbag module worked on would be handled at a body shop, so the body shop personnel would deal with the airbag module and not Tesla technicians. (Though I suspect that they wouldn't even need to pull it out, they would just hookup their laptop load the Tesla Toolbox software and do whatever needs to be done.)

You are probably correct, but for the wrong reason. Most cars that would need the airbag module worked on would be handled at a body shop, so the body shop personnel would deal with the airbag module and not Tesla technicians. (Though I suspect that they wouldn't even need to pull it out, they would just hookup their laptop load the Tesla Toolbox software and do whatever needs to be done.)

Aha, got it! That makes more sense; good point!

Coming from Europe, I have the service manual and checked those two procedures (suspension ECU and airbag ECU), and there are no special tools needed. :)

Worst issues with Tesla is that they won't sell you all parts you might need, and they won't do any programming/coding of anything unless the items are bought from and installed by Tesla themselves, even on non-salvage-vehicles. All other brands will sell you anything over the counter, and most dealerships will do any programming as long as you pay labor costs.

Reactions: desoukya
I'm not sure how difrent the refresh model s is but I removed the center console and then the air vents under the MCU and was able to unbolt and remove the airbag module that way.
IMG_5307.JPG
Never had to remove or loosen that plastic cover.

Reactions: desoukya
can you teach me what do you actually needs to do with the Airbags module?

So you replaced all of the airbags and you also need to replace a devices? Also would you need any reprogramming for this new part?

Any pictures of this airbags module?

thanks !

=======
UPDATE
=======

Success.
E06E77B3-6100-4369-95B9-D32D92393588.jpeg

Video Update Here

If anyone knows where I can get the black plastic tab in the image below then please let me know; I accidently pushed it out too hard and lost it :)

I don’t think it’s a big deal though as the connector will still lock without it, but I’d rather find a spare just to be safe.

C68D5067-A2C3-4245-B1A4-17E5703A1E8E.jpeg

Thanks to @Ingineer for his time explaining to me how to properly remove the module.

Thank you for the update and great video !

In the video, you mentioned that after talking to engineer you were actually not supposed to remove the black plastic cover. So what’s supposed to be the right process to replace the airbag module then?
Thank you

Thank you for the update and great video !

In the video, you mentioned that after talking to engineer you were actually not supposed to remove the black plastic cover. So what’s supposed to be the right process to replace the airbag module then?
Thank you

So the overall approach was correct. However, instead of breaking off the side of the plastic cover to gain better access, it is possible to unscrew all three torx bolts from the passenger footwell with a lot of patience, experience, and fiddling.

Also note, because my car has air suspension, it adds more difficulty because the air suspension module and cable connectors take up more space.

• Informative
Reactions: albatore and mongo
I just pulled out the SRS module on my salvage P85, also with air suspension.
It was not easy and the service manual doesn't give much detail.

The suspension ECU on top of the SRS module needs to come out first and it is the most difficult because it has that big plastic shroud.
I was able to get it by unbolting the accelerator pedal and undoing the bolts from the passenger side. The SRS module comes out much easier.

Everything is extremely tight and it took much longer than I expected. I am not looking forward to putting it all back together.

I just pulled out the SRS module on my salvage P85, also with air suspension.
It was not easy and the service manual doesn't give much detail.

The suspension ECU on top of the SRS module needs to come out first and it is the most difficult because it has that big plastic shroud.
I was able to get it by unbolting the accelerator pedal and undoing the bolts from the passenger side. The SRS module comes out much easier.

Everything is extremely tight and it took much longer than I expected. I am not looking forward to putting it all back together.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I can definietly attest to a similar frustrating experience. I plan on installing everything back in the next couple days; I’m also not looking forward to it.

Will provide an update soon.

=======
UPDATE
=======

1) The car passed inspection! I also completed the vehicle registration and tagged it!

2) After replacing all the airbags and reconnecting the (reset) airbag module, I noticed the airbag light coming off for a few seconds and then coming back on. Note that it used to always stay on. Does anyone know why it's not permanently staying off??