Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Sound System Quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's something new to try. Put all the tone controls at +12dB. You heard me, put them all at the top. (Turn the volume down to compensate of course). I think it sounds better. It shouldn't, but it does. Maybe some math issues in the equalizer are truncating bits at normal settings. Or on the other hand, maybe my ears are playing tricks on me. Audio is tricky stuff.

also you're assuming in doing that that the three equalizing bands cover the whole audio spectrum ending with a basically flat overall gain across all freqs, which it undoubtedly will not do. you will have dips between the bands and odd crossover canceling out of waveforms...

you may certainly prefer the sound with the low mid and high cranked, it just will almost definitely sound different from overall gain on a flat freq eq setting.

fwiw.

I drove a Performance S with the premium sound system last weekend. I listened to a few different music selections from a memory stick. As a former recording engineer, I was impressed by the transparency and imaging. The volume granularity wasn't a big problem at the time, but I agree that at least twice as many steps would be a good idea. (The 1-11 idea, inspired by a guitar amplifier, ignores the fact that the guitar amp control is an analog device with many intermediate settings between each number. Tesla could easily double the granularity by adding half-steps.) The sound system's built-in equalizer has only three bands, but sometimes, nice fat filters like that yield a smoother sound, provided there are no objectionable peaks in the overall sound. The bass is particularly smooth and transparent, right down to sub-frequencies - not what you often get with systems incorporating a separate subwoofer. I like that I could hear the super low notes without muddying up the midtones. I think it's worth getting.

The volume granularity wasn't a big problem at the time, but I agree that at least twice as many steps would be a good idea. (The 1-11 idea, inspired by a guitar amplifier, ignores the fact that the guitar amp control is an analog device with many intermediate settings between each number. Tesla could easily double the granularity by adding half-steps.)

The car you drove must not have had the latest software update. All current and up to date cars have 3 steps in volume between each number, unless I am misunderstanding you.

I would guess that a forthcoming update will have many more sliders on the equalizer. This is really a first effort. I don't expect it will ever compete with Reason though.

@jerry33:

When Tesla offers Reason as an "add-on" app, I'll get it! Not sure it's very safe to compose tunes while driving though ;)

I'm encouraged to hear positive reviews of the Sound Studio package from someone with audio experience (ToddRLockwood). Many posts on the forums have been discouraging. My Audi S4 which is getting replaced by the Model S has an amazing Bang & Olufsen system - I really don't feel like moving to a lower quality system in the S.

When Tesla offers Reason as an "add-on" app, I'll get it! Not sure it's very safe to compose tunes while driving though ;)

Until the Supercharger network gets built out it will give you something to do while charging in an RV park. You can spend hours just configuring Reason before you compose a thing.

I'm encouraged to hear positive reviews of the Sound Studio package from someone with audio experience (ToddRLockwood). Many posts on the forums have been discouraging.

The same thing happened in the Prius with the JBL sound system. Those with audio experience liked the clean sound and those without didn't.

also you're assuming in doing that that the three equalizing bands cover the whole audio spectrum ending with a basically flat overall gain across all freqs, which it undoubtedly will not do. you will have dips between the bands and odd crossover canceling out of waveforms...

you may certainly prefer the sound with the low mid and high cranked, it just will almost definitely sound different from overall gain on a flat freq eq setting.

fwiw.
I'm not assuming anything. That's how the equalizer appears to work. If you raise or lower all three bands to the same level, it appears to behave like a volume control with no change to the frequency response.

Also, I'm not one to crank the bass or treble. I prefer a perfectly flat frequency response.

Has anyone listened to analog AM radio in a moving Tesla Model S? I'm more than a little concerned about interference from all the electromagnetic systems in the car. Truthfully, I won't use the AM station for much more than a local college radio station, although when the weather is rough, I do like having it tuned to a non-station to listen for lightning strikes.
Thanks to everyone who had tips about what to use to make audio files, and how to pair with a bluetooth smart phone.

Has anyone listened to analog AM radio in a moving Tesla Model S? I'm more than a little concerned about interference from all the electromagnetic systems in the car. Truthfully, I won't use the AM station for much more than a local college radio station, although when the weather is rough, I do like having it tuned to a non-station to listen for lightning strikes.
Thanks to everyone who had tips about what to use to make audio files, and how to pair with a bluetooth smart phone.

ICE cars are full of all kinds of electronics and - even worse - have these powerful spark generating systems. Model S should be as good as or better than most ICE cars when it comes to interference.

I listen to AM radio a good amount and have had absolutely no issues with interference.

I listen to AM radio a good amount and have had absolutely no issues with interference.
I almost never listen to AM. But to help assist in this question, I tested about 12 stations yesterday and at least 6 of them (now presets) came in about as clear as AM has ever gotten for me.

In contrast, XM constantly "hiss-connects" on me. To the point where I can't stand listening to it anymore.

At least in the Model S, you're never going to get alternator whine through the stereo!
That's what I've been hearing in my ICE. Thanks for explaining it, says the guy who actually owns a 100+ year-old player piano, a Morse key, and holds an Amateur Radio license.
If I wanted to be goofy-retro, I'd ask for info on a Bluetooth adapter for an 8-track player.
@Brianman, thank you for testing the reception out. It educates the rest of us to know that information. As early adopters, we are also, undoubtedly, promoters to some degree.

I listen to KGO 810 quite a bit in my car (though much less since they made their format changes - Boo to Cumulus!!) This has been a problem since I got my Model S. I get quite a bit of unusual interference on it when I am driving. Kind of like a buzz/whine that matches the acceleration and deceleration of the car. The tone of the interference changes in rhythm with the wh/regen gauge. I'm going to talk to service about it. I've never had that kind of interference before in any car.