Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio system upgrades in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course, doctorwho, it's all about perceived value.
A couple of grand for awesome sound would be OK with me, I guess. Not familiar with Audison amps- I guess we'll all have to look around.
i might connect up with mhh and see what his new stuff sounds like- he seems a little ambivalent...
mhh??? As you get to know the system, what do you think??

Of course, doctorwho, it's all about perceived value.
A couple of grand for awesome sound would be OK with me, I guess. Not familiar with Audison amps- I guess we'll all have to look around.
i might connect up with mhh and see what his new stuff sounds like- he seems a little ambivalent...
mhh??? As you get to know the system, what do you think??

The trouble with audio upgrades is where do you stop? If you aren't careful $2K can become $5K as you chase better sound. I think I'm happy enough. Come into town and have a listen sometime. I'm flying to Adelaide for a couple of days but in Sydney for a few days after that. Maybe we can meet for a coffee sometime before I head back to Adelaide and anyone interested can come along and have a listen. Model S group photoshoot? :D

The trouble with audio upgrades is where do you stop? If you aren't careful $2K can become $5K as you chase better sound. I think I'm happy enough. Come into town and have a listen sometime. I'm flying to Adelaide for a couple of days but in Sydney for a few days after that. Maybe we can meet for a coffee sometime before I head back to Adelaide and anyone interested can come along and have a listen. Model S group photoshoot? :D
sounds good, mhh.
Early next week would be fine- I'd love to have a listen
Will PM if group photo shoot doesn't come off - Centenniel Park???

Hi Aussie Tesla Model S owners,
Like many of you, I was disappointed with the audio in the Tesla model S. Recently, I drove an P85D with UHF audio and it too is disappointing. The UHF subwoofer is located in the rear trunk and has minimal impact in the cabin. I’ve had my car for 12 months; it was fitted with standard audio. So I fitted a FOCAL IBUS 2.0 under the rear seat. For less than $500 the sound system was immediately transformed. You won’t be disappointed. It took me 8 hours however I am not an experienced installer and I had to work out how to do things.
The Focal IBUS 2.0 or 2.1 comes with all the necessary cables. This unit has auto shut off and an inbuilt in-line converter. My install takes the speaker signal from the front and left door speakers. Also, you will need to purchase a 2 foot length of 1” block aluminium, adhesive velcro tape and 10 m speaker wire. These were purchased at Bunnings. Read Teslatap audio modifications especially parts two and three found here; Part 2: Running Wires Through the Firewall | TeslaTap prior to the installation.
The installation was as follows;
1. Access the 12 V battery on the left-hand side of the Aussie Model S by removing the air filter and releasing it. There is a small grommet in the firewall which is difficult to access. A small screwdriver must be passed through the grommet then a wire is fed through to which the 12 V power supply is attached and passed through. The 12 V power supply is attached to the positive terminal of the 12 V battery.
2. The rear seat is removed by pulling upwards forcibly. The seat clips are very firm but will not break. The empty space on the left-hand side of the card is accessed by removing the wireframe bolts. The frame is then lifted (not removed) to mount the subwoofer. The frame can then be reattached by replacing the bolts and the installation completed by accessing subwoofer through the frame.
3. The FOCAL IBUS 2.0 is mounted above the heavy power cables onto one foot lengths of tube aluminium with the Velcro. In this way, the subwoofer is clear of the power cables and does not rattle.
4. The front and rear door trims are easily removed (use a plastic door trim removal tool) and the 12 V line, the two in-line speaker wires and the boost control line are fed through. The in-line speaker cables are connected to the left and right front door speakers using instructions at Part 3: Amplifier Installation | TeslaTap
5. I mounted the boost control knob under the dashboard in the driver foot well. This was the only offensive part of my installation. The Model S is a sleek design without offensive knobs but I could not see a way around this. I was able to hide the knob so only I know where it is. The boost control knob is an essential part of the installation and do not leave it out. Without the control knob, you cannot adjust the boost level after you install the unit.
6. Adjust the Bass boost levels on the main unit prior to replacing the back seat. You don’t want to remove the back seat too often as this will weaken the clips. Fine adjustments are made using the boost control knob.
7. Replace the back seat and the door trims and enjoy a significant improvement in sound quality.
8. The only negative feature of this installation is a pop from the subwoofer if you leave the car and the audio volume level is above 6. At low volume the pop is imperceptible. There must be a power surge when the car shuts down which causes the subwoofer to pop. I have not been able to work around this. My days of listening to loud rock music are over so this is not a problem for me.
Good luck. I’m sure an experienced installer could do this in less than four hours.

ibus-21C.jpg
Rear Seat removed.jpg
speaker-wires-right-small-1024x668.jpg
speaker-wires-left-small-1024x642.jpg
ibus-21B.jpg
ibus-21A.jpg

Sorry pressed go to early. Hey Wildeman - I'm getting the standard audio Tesla 100D in Nov and love the idea of the focal ibus as I'm basically happy with the standard audio but want a bit more bass. I basically understand the install and feel I can do this myself but just wanted to check - did you have to do anything to unbalance the audio from the speakers (as I understand they're balanced) or does the Focal take balanced inputs and do the conversion itself?
Thanks!

Sorry pressed go to early. Hey Wildeman - I'm getting the standard audio Tesla 100D in Nov and love the idea of the focal ibus as I'm basically happy with the standard audio but want a bit more bass. I basically understand the install and feel I can do this myself but just wanted to check - did you have to do anything to unbalance the audio from the speakers (as I understand they're balanced) or does the Focal take balanced inputs and do the conversion itself?
Thanks!

Check out the Light Harmonics Tesla upgrade for standard system.

The cause of high fidelity is completely LOST in a car, any car. Ridiculous claims are made whihc are simply physically impossible with respect to "bass response". Any true note below 300 Hz is unsustainable in the air space of a car, end of story, no matter how much you stuff around with the well known phase tricks and so forth. More amplification only serves to annoy people outside the car -- air space doesn't sustain those longer wavelengths in the car (remember). Buy good hi-fi, build a good room to put it in, listen in the comfort of your own home to accurate sound, well reproduced. In a car, it's pleasant entertainment, so don't stress and don't waste too much money on it in the car.

I find Teslas in-car system as good as necessary to entertain at the superficial level needed in a car. Afte all, I'm supposed to be drivign (for now, some of the time). See: www.quadesl.org

It's perfectly reasonable to seek better sound in your car. For many, it's the place where we spend more time listening to music. Even those of us with decent home systems aren't satisfied with so-so factory offerings in our cars. The Tesla premium setup is OK, but nowhere near the best available as OE fitment. I've got factory Burmester in a couple of Porsches which sound way better than the Tesla for example.

It's not "unreasonable" to want any particular thing, and if your fancy takes you that way, and you can easily afford it, why not? Having a Burmester amp in a car, in my humble opinion, is just a waste of money. Burmester have always considered themselves "above the common herd", but most of the money goes on paying some dude to hand match resistors and capacitors that you will never tell from the best mass produced components in any case. You are proposing a comparison between one in-car system and another. No doubt it's not hard to surpass the Tesla sound system. It's not reasonable to expect what is possible in static setups and it's not possible to obtain true to pitch low notes in car, which is why I wonder about people making these low frequency "boomy" noises with sub-woofers (really just a better quality woofer), which are just artifacts of the system, and the environment that it is in, and not the music as such. Also, imho, if you spend a so much time listening in the car that it's your predominant listening environment then it's time to slow down and smell the roses a bit, possibly?

Hey thanks - I did try to contact them - they didn't get back to me and I read in various places that they might have gone out of business otherwise I'd do the light harmonics for sure
If you're on the Australian Tesla owners Slack group you can ask, someone here is the agent for Light Harmonic here in Australia and can get the speakers for you at a good price, it's not a good home hi-fi but it's a very considerable upgrade over the standard system. Depending on where you live, you may even be able to hear it in a car and decide for yourself