Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August/September VIN Notifications and Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hey. NJ here too. Just put a deposit on a Red MY LR on 9/10. Was told 7-11 weeks to build. I’m fine waiting. Hoping all the QC issues can be ironed out or Elon will announce some sort of MY news on Battery Day next week. So excited to get one but not looking forward to having to go over every inch and possibly be too excited to realize I have too many issues with build quality or fit & finish and accept a car I shouldn’t. LOL. It boggles my mind that a luxury high tech car has so many issues that I’ve never encountered in any Toyota, Mazda or Honda I’ve owned that cost ½ the price. Congrats on yours.

The saga continues!

8/13 Placed order.
8/19 got text saying expected 2-5 weeks.
9/2 got text saying still 2-4 weeks
9/13 Noticed pay off amount in Tesla account now seen as well as MVPA.
9/13 (also) Sent MVPA to loan officer
9/14 Loan officer said everything good to go it expired today, but they got it before they actually expired it.
9/14 (also) MVPA is now missing from my account, so I called nearby service center. They said something like it was built and assigned, but something was wrong with it and they are not sure if they can fix it. He didn't have more info for me.

LR, Blue, no FSD. Located in Central Jersey.

Now I'm not sure if I should contact the loan officer, or just let it roll and assume it's going to be the same VIN. At least there is some kind of QA. I imagine it was something pretty darn bad though like it straight up didn't work unless the service guy just made the whole thing up.

Regarding the MVPA, FWIW, my MVPA was re-generated (within 5 mins) when I had my SA change my payment method from cash to self-financing. The user experience of this was my original MVPA disappeared and then re-appeared in 5 mins. All with the same info and VIN.

Maybe something got updated and it's causing their system to have to re-generate your MVPA?

Update: Delivery 9/26 with high potential of early arrival. I have learnt that calling the Tesla location directly or going there in person (if it is close to you) is the best thing to do. They have a whole bunch of information they can provide on your order. The online account is not reliable and is not updated and I have to this day not received any texts. I would highly recommend calling them every couple days for updates or going on site. They were super nice and helpful.

Hello all. Been reading all your posts over the last couple weeks after placing my order. Happy to start sharing. Here are my details:

Midnight Silver Long Range, black interior MY
performance/21" wheels
Order date: 9/3
VIN Received: 9/11(I called and asked for it)
VIN: 49XXX
Car production/born: 9/11
Delivery: 2-3 weeks estimated

Regarding the MVPA, FWIW, my MVPA was re-generated (within 5 mins) when I had my SA change my payment method from cash to self-financing. The user experience of this was my original MVPA disappeared and then re-appeared in 5 mins. All with the same info and VIN.

Maybe something got updated and it's causing their system to have to re-generate your MVPA?

Yeah unfortunately not the case with me. :(

Just called around and finally got the information for my advisor that seems I've had all along, but they never reached out. To be fair they answered multiple emails pretty darn quickly once I reached out to them, just wish they would have reached out to me at least once. Anyway, there was a problem with the car and I guess it was figured out after it was built. Unfortunate, but better than it being found out after delivery I guess? He said he had no ETA at all. After I asked saying I was already going to be over the estimated time even if that car went through, he said a rough estimate is another 2-3 weeks. He did stress it could be much more or much less.

The big problems now are I already paid for it, so I have a little over 20k of my funds they're holding, and my bank already sent the rest. Have to reach out to my bank tomorrow and let them know it seems there will be a new VIN. Not sure if they'll make me reapply or whatever since this was the last day before the quote expired. I asked about refunding the $20k at least. He said he can do it, but it would take 6-8 weeks and if a new VIN was assigned soon I'd have to send another $20k while the first $20k was in limbo.

He said the bank shouldn't have any problem with the VIN changing, but I don't think I believe him here. To be fair he's obviously not the bank and that's something I need to work out with them.

The other big worry is I've heard once they get your money their customer service starts lacking. Not sure how it can really get any worse than literally no communication and me having to randomly call and do everything on my end, but I guess I'll find out. :D

The only small potential silver lining is if they keep dragging butt on this I may get a 2021 model, and very small chance of potential new improvements or better QA, or so I tell myself to make myself feel better.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 4.45.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 4.45.19 PM.png
    77 KB · Views: 69
Update: Delivery 9/26 with high potential of early arrival. I have learnt that calling the Tesla location directly or going there in person (if it is close to you) is the best thing to do. They have a whole bunch of information they can provide on your order. The online account is not reliable and is not updated and I have to this day not received any texts. I would highly recommend calling them every couple days for updates or going on site. They were super nice and helpful.
What kind of additional info did they provide you? I’m curious to know if it’s the same info my SA gave me.

Yeah unfortunately not the case with me. :(

Just called around and finally got the information for my advisor that seems I've had all along, but they never reached out. To be fair they answered multiple emails pretty darn quickly once I reached out to them, just wish they would have reached out to me at least once. Anyway, there was a problem with the car and I guess it was figured out after it was built. Unfortunate, but better than it being found out after delivery I guess? He said he had no ETA at all. After I asked saying I was already going to be over the estimated time even if that car went through, he said a rough estimate is another 2-3 weeks. He did stress it could be much more or much less.

The big problems now are I already paid for it, so I have a little over 20k of my funds they're holding, and my bank already sent the rest. Have to reach out to my bank tomorrow and let them know it seems there will be a new VIN. Not sure if they'll make me reapply or whatever since this was the last day before the quote expired. I asked about refunding the $20k at least. He said he can do it, but it would take 6-8 weeks and if a new VIN was assigned soon I'd have to send another $20k while the first $20k was in limbo.

He said the bank shouldn't have any problem with the VIN changing, but I don't think I believe him here. To be fair he's obviously not the bank and that's something I need to work out with them.

The other big worry is I've heard once they get your money their customer service starts lacking. Not sure how it can really get any worse than literally no communication and me having to randomly call and do everything on my end, but I guess I'll find out. :D

The only small potential silver lining is if they keep dragging butt on this I may get a 2021 model, and very small chance of potential new improvements or better QA, or so I tell myself to make myself feel better.

They send out hot mess cars all the time for delivery so the issues with the one you were unassigned from must have been major. Hopefully they will find you one. There has got to be inventory floating around the country.

They send out hot mess cars all the time for delivery so the issues with the one you were unassigned from must have been major. Hopefully they will find you one. There has got to be inventory floating around the country.

Yeah, to quote him it was a "minor quality concern" I kind of think his definition of “minor” might have been a little stretched. :)

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
  • Ordered 8/13/20 (finalized 2016 Model X trade-in on 8/17/20)
  • No VIN assigned yet
  • LR AWD
  • Exterior: Solid Black Paint, 20" Induction Wheels
  • Interior: Black and White Premium Interior
  • No FSD, no tow hitch
I received an email from my SA on 8/27/20 that they are expecting the delivery of our vehicle to be within the last 2 weeks of September. My Tesla account states the estimated delivery of 3-7 weeks from order placed date.

What kind of additional info did they provide you? I’m curious to know if it’s the same info my SA gave me.

I went today in person and they are able to see information such as:
Date vehicle was made, ship date out of the factory, estimated arrival time frame to dealership, Delivery date for customer.

At least that is all the information he was reading off to me. The information is all the same being posted on this thread. The biggest thing I realized was that for this dealership they did not communicate anything unless I directly called or went in person, in which case they told me a lot. Much like most people on here, I was checking my online account daily for updates or waiting for a text. I never have gotten any texts and my online account still has no updates or documents.

I know many people on here are waiting for their VIN to be communicated or even their delivery dates. I would suggest calling the dealer or showing up in person and asking. It worked well for my and my sanity. I am sure there is a lot of variability and some agents are not as open with the information. I hope those of you waiting for info are able to get it soon!

Reactions: stlclint
Hi All
New member here, ordered a LR AWD White on White Model Y on Sep 5th. Was waiting around for the VIN but had not heard back from my SA.
Then got a text from Tesla to schedule delivery yesterday. So I scheduled based on the choices offered for Sep 25th. Then today my SA finally gave me the VIN which is a 49,4xx.
Seems super quick I as expecting it to take at least a month. My Service Center is Rt 17. Paramus NJ.
Looking forward to my first EV! As long as the delivery does not go awry..

• Ordered 8/13/20 (finalized 2016 Model X trade-in on 8/17/20)
  • No VIN assigned yet
  • LR AWD
  • Exterior: Solid Black Paint, 20" Induction Wheels
  • Interior: Black and White Premium Interior
  • No FSD, no tow hitch
I received an email from my SA on 8/27/20 that they are expecting the delivery of our vehicle to be within the last 2 weeks of September. My Tesla account states the estimated delivery of 3-7 weeks from order placed date.
MY is so much better than my Model X as far as tech. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything. You will love it.

Reactions: hellok1ttykat
Ordered: 8/12
VIN: 9/14 475XX
Delivery Date: 9/26
Spec: Blue LR AWD 19' Gemini, Black, No hitch, No FSD
Any reason you’re going to Springfield to pick up as opposed to Paramus if you’re in Northern NJ? I am in North Jersey too waiting on a Red MY LR and picked Paramus as my pickup Center. It’s so close. It’s only been a week. When I configured it was telling me 7-11 weeks which I was fine with. I don’t want to deal with all the fit & finish and paint issues etc that everyone seems to write about. It nerves me up that a vehicle at this price point has so many QC issues. I’ve only ever had Mazda, Toyota and Honda’s and at much cheaper prices have never had the issues people seem to have had with new Tesla’s being delivered. That being said the cat is awesome as hell in so many ways. I can’t wait. Congrats on yours.

Hi All
New member here, ordered a LR AWD White on White Model Y on Sep 5th. Was waiting around for the VIN but had not heard back from my SA.
Then got a text from Tesla to schedule delivery yesterday. So I scheduled based on the choices offered for Sep 25th. Then today my SA finally gave me the VIN which is a 49,4xx.
Seems super quick I as expecting it to take at least a month. My Service Center is Rt 17. Paramus NJ.
Looking forward to my first EV! As long as the delivery does not go awry..

Similar experience here! While I originally ordered back on Aug 14, I changed the interior color on Sep 7 thinking that I probably won’t see the car this quarter at all. But the delivery text came on Sep 13 (a Sunday!) and I’m picking it up on Sep 25.

Any reason you’re going to Springfield to pick up as opposed to Paramus if you’re in Northern NJ? I am in North Jersey too waiting on a Red MY LR and picked Paramus as my pickup Center. It’s so close. It’s only been a week. When I configured it was telling me 7-11 weeks which I was fine with. I don’t want to deal with all the fit & finish and paint issues etc that everyone seems to write about. It nerves me up that a vehicle at this price point has so many QC issues. I’ve only ever had Mazda, Toyota and Honda’s and at much cheaper prices have never had the issues people seem to have had with new Tesla’s being delivered. That being said the cat is awesome as hell in so many ways. I can’t wait. Congrats on yours.

Springfield is much closer to me than Paramus, that's the only reason. I'm coming from a lifted Jeep Wrangler to this so its going to be a big change, but I am not worried too much about the fit and finish issues. Obviously if something is glaringly wrong I'll have to reject but I don't plan on doing that. Good luck on the wait and Congrats as well.