Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aussie queues this long weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla started building out it's Superchargers very early in its manufacturing history. It recognised it could not have one without the other

But that is no longer the case with all the third party networks we now have. Who wants to download even more charging Apps for even more networks?

I expect to see consolidation among the DCFC networks in coming years. None of them are making money yet, and scale is king, so latecomers are going to find it tough.

I deliberately avoid travelling during long weekends and often school holidays, even with my current ICE car.
If im going on a holiday it’s to avoid stress, and I don’t enjoy the crowds or people driving crazy.
Can’t see this changing once my m3 gets here, I’d just take time off around another weekend.
Cannot agree more, I always prefer to take some extra days off during a random weekend, almost everything will be cheaper and less crowded.

But that is no longer the case with all the third party networks we now have.
Personally I think I can deal with some extra apps if there is more funding for charging infrastructure whether by EV manufacturers themselves or co funded by govt or someone else. An Extra app or two for less charging congestion? - no problem.

I'm not sure EV charging Infrastructure consolidation will happen in AU. The market is still in its infancy and is very small.

Currently the DCFC players are:
Tesla
NRMA
RAA
RACQ
Ampcharge
BP
Jolt
Minor private installations

Not a lot of players IMO

At this point in time, Duplication rather than consolidation would actually be nice to have as DC charging is not yet ubiquitous

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
I also do the same…but we are part of that (for the sake of a better word) mature Tesla demographic that isn’t forced to take their vacations during the school holidays
Yep sure are! But even when my kids were younger many moons ago and we used to go 4wding and camping etc there would be nothing worse than trying to deal with city drivers driving their camper trailers on the highway, then having to stake your claim at a camping site or shoe horn into a caravan park where ultimately, when the people in the site next to you went to sleep after drinking all night oblivious to the fact that their tent isn’t soundproof, your head was like a meter away from some dude farting or spewing only obfuscated by 2 sheets of tent canvas.. and then the crowded toilets, overpriced food and fuel, and traffic on the way home. No thanks. Even at the major servos there was queuing for ulp/diesel.

So we used to find a week where nothing else was on, had a leisurely drive, enjoyed having places to ourselves or minimal others.
Everyone’s different tho I guess, I just don’t like being part of a crowd that’s in crisis mode lol, I avoid that haha.

Personally I think I can deal with some extra apps if there is more funding for charging infrastructure whether by EV manufacturers themselves or co funded by govt or someone else.

You list your location as Sydney (same as me!) so you should be happy with the NSW EV Strategy, which is 10 times better funded for building EV infrastructure than any other state’s programme. And not just fast charging either, but destination charging, apartment charging, kerbside charging for those without offstreet parking, changes to building regulations, strata law, approval processes etc.

It’s unfortunate that we haven’t seen the Round 2 fast charging grant winners yet (the State election threw a spanner in the works but hopefully back on track now), and many of the really big sites funded in Round 1 are yet to start… but let’s give credit where credit is due.

I also plan to travel out of holiday periods - in fact we depart Tuesday morning to head to Sydney with 2 planned overnight stops. I have just now noticed that the Maclean SC is U/S - all 4 chargers are down. Should make Knockrow busy later today and tomorrow. Hope it stands up to the strain.
I noticed that as well. I'm heading up from Sydney to Surfers early tomorrow. Could be challenging.

I noticed that as well. I'm heading up from Sydney to Surfers early tomorrow. Could be challenging.
We drove back from GC to Melbourne over the last two days. Nuts.

Having a LR vehicle helps, due to the ability to dodge a congested charger.

We were waiting at Cassegrain for a while, but while we were waiting, 9 cars showed up!

Don’t rely on Maclean, apparently the power supplies get too hot (as well as the offline one), and it seems to cut back to nothing if it does.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Personally I think I can deal with some extra apps if there is more funding for charging infrastructure whether by EV manufacturers themselves or co funded by govt or someone else. An Extra app or two for less charging congestion? - no problem.

I'm not sure EV charging Infrastructure consolidation will happen in AU. The market is still in its infancy and is very small.

Currently the DCFC players are:
Tesla
NRMA
RAA
RACQ
Ampcharge
BP
Jolt
Minor private installations

Not a lot of players IMO

At this point in time, Duplication rather than consolidation would actually be nice to have as DC charging is not yet ubiquitous
Realistically, none of these players except Tesla would have existed without government subsidies (ARENA & state). Now that a level playing field has been established, I wish they are more judicious with taxpayer funds with focus on track record & competency rather than some arbitrary and unknown selection criteria (E.g. No one knows how and why NRMA was selected for the National EV charging network).

Realistically, none of these players except Tesla would have existed without government subsidies (ARENA & state). Now that a level playing field has been established, I wish they are more judicious with taxpayer funds with focus on track record & competency rather than some arbitrary and unknown selection criteria (E.g. No one knows how and why NRMA was selected for the National EV charging network).

The selection criteria in NSW for the grant programme here is very clear. It‘s all laid out in the grant application guidelines. And the winners come about through a reverse auction - whoever bids the least in terms of government contribution to build a site wins that site. So it’s completely transparent commercially.