Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right so as we draw hopefully closer to seeing our cars sometime soon I am turning my mind to what I need for day 1.

The main question I have is around mobile charger. I rent so there isn’t a reason for me to put in a proper charger (I will likely move in the next year or two when I purchase). So with that in mind I am simply thinking of getting a standard plug in mobile charger. I am trying to work out whether there is much difference from the Telsa mobile connector or a good quality generic. One thing I would like is the ability to set charge times for my offpeak (10pm-6am) but it seems I will need an app to do that properly.

Do people have views?

Reactions: dronus
Yeah, same, I have a wall connector but will buy a Mobile Charger at some point just to have the facility available when travelling.

I'm going with the Tesla one myself, there are some good quality options out there, which are definitely worth looking at if you want to go that way. I just wouldn't go for anything I hadn't done any research on, this is the one component that has the potential to do maximum damage to your car.

Reactions: dronus and PcS000
The main question I have is around mobile charger. I rent so there isn’t a reason for me to put in a proper charger (I will likely move in the next year or two when I purchase). So with that in mind I am simply thinking of getting a standard plug in mobile charger. I am trying to work out whether there is much difference from the Telsa mobile connector or a good quality generic. One thing I would like is the ability to set charge times for my offpeak (10pm-6am) but it seems I will need an app to do that properly.

Do people have views?
The Tesla mobile charger is great value - it's a good quality unit, it is capable of up to 32A with the right additional plug (it comes with 10A and 15A standard plugs), and it has the convenience button on the handle to open the charge port.

You can tell the car to either start charging at 10pm or finish charging by 6am, which will work fine if you're not driving further each day than you can charge in the 8 hours you'll have - probably about 120km real world. If you drive a bit further one day you can finess the target charge % to ensure it finishes in time (you'll pretty quickly get a sense of what % you can charge in your 8 hour window).

With the mobile charger I'd probably use the scheduled start time ("Scheduled Charge") at 10pm - it'll start right on the dot. When you eventually upgrade to the much faster charging wall connector, I'd use scheduled finish time ("Scheduled Departure" with off-peak end time set to 6am) instead, so it charges towards the end of the night.

The Tesla mobile charger is great value - it's a good quality unit, it is capable of up to 32A with the right additional plug (it comes with 10A and 15A standard plugs), and it has the convenience button on the handle to open the charge port.

You can tell the car to either start charging at 10pm or finish charging by 6am, which will work fine if you're not driving further each day than you can charge in the 8 hours you'll have - probably about 120km real world. If you drive a bit further one day you can finess the target charge % to ensure it finishes in time (you'll pretty quickly get a sense of what % you can charge in your 8 hour window).

With the mobile charger I'd probably use the scheduled start time ("Scheduled Charge") at 10pm - it'll start right on the dot. When you eventually upgrade to the much faster charging wall connector, I'd use scheduled finish time ("Scheduled Departure" with off-peak end time set to 6am) instead, so it charges towards the end of the night.
I'll be getting the Tesla mobile charger again - the current one is going to bloke with I've sold it to. I did have look around and I just thought, I am actually happy with how the Tesla mobile charger performed and now it's a known quantity for me too.
...and now I realise my opinion is quite biased 😁

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
I'm in Adelaide too and my order is from August 24.. was told that I'd be front of the list because I had ordered a week or two to the highland change over. No VIN yet either no matter how many times a day I refresh my email & Tesla account page 😆 Ordered in black, otherwise no non-standard changes.

Reactions: dronus
I'm in Adelaide too and my order is from August 24.. was told that I'd be front of the list because I had ordered a week or two to the highland change over. No VIN yet either no matter how many times a day I refresh my email & Tesla account page 😆 Ordered in black, otherwise no non-standard changes.
Ha my order is about a week before yours so hopefully we pick up our cars around the same day!

Right so as we draw hopefully closer to seeing our cars sometime soon I am turning my mind to what I need for day 1.

Do people have views?
As @Jules22 said there are some quality aftermarket options out there.
I went with the Tesla UmC and added a 32a tail. It’s a known quality, will get firmware updates with the car and has a good rep.

Reactions: Jules22
Alright guys, need your help. Struggling to decide to get Black or Red.. I hear so many people saying the Red makes this car look like a Mazda and while black is sexy, very hard to keep clean and temps get really hot.
Really impossible for us to advise. I went red, I do have a late model Mazda currently in the red, I've been told the new M3 Red looks even better, haven't seen it myself in person, but even if it just looks as good I'll be happy.

I did consider black, but yeah, it is harder to keep clean, but at the end of the day it all comes to personal preference.

Even the Blue which I didn't really like in the 2023 models, looked awesome when I saw it on the new M3. I really don't think there's a 'bad' colour.

Alright guys, need your help. Struggling to decide to get Black or Red.. I hear so many people saying the Red makes this car look like a Mazda and while black is sexy, very hard to keep clean and temps get really hot.
Do darker cars actually get hotter? Has that myth been busted? Once you put a UV clear coat and ceramic coating .. any car is going to get hot in the sun. Luckily we will have that overheating thing to keep it cooler :)

Do darker cars actually get hotter? Has that myth been busted? Once you put a UV clear coat and ceramic coating .. any car is going to get hot in the sun. Luckily we will have that overheating thing to keep it cooler :)

Yeah, I doubt Red or Black will make any difference re heat. Running the Aircon from the app a few minutes before you get in worked very well for me, so I don't think that's really a consideration for me.