Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get what they are saying. But instead of stopping the sale of thousands of cars, inconveniencing all of those people im guessing the same thing would happen as BYD.
Just dont put a child seat there until a modification can be carried out, or they review the regulations. Start with the people who need it (people who want to put a child seat there)
In reality, it only affects people who want to put child seats in the centre of the rear of the new car, it doesnt affect most people.

The media will report that the whole car is unsafe, and will catch on fire.

But you can’t do that with safety regulations. It’s the same as pool fences, you can’t just say only people with kids need a pool fence.

Safety regulations have to apply to everyone, there is legal ramifications, huge ramifications, if a kid dies in a car crash and the car didn’t comply with the Aussie regs.

Reactions: DrKwong
I think if that was the reason we wouldn't only see those of us in very specific locations missing out while deliveries continue everywhere else.

Makes much more sense to me that the glitch they refer to is our vehicles going to the wrong place or being double booked or something

Me thinks you are underestimating the seriousness of this problem. They are literally shipping cars to people that don’t appear to be legal in Australia.

To answer your question I think it is very likely there could be a mix of cars on ships and already landed. Some conform and some don’t. Remember this rule only applies to Australia. And we already know that the tether anchorage is there in the car, they have just forgot to cut a hole in the parcel shelf so it can be used. It could easily be that some cars shipped were not Aussie specs and someone wasn’t paying attention enough and let them through.

Me thinks you are underestimating the seriousness of this problem. They are literally shipping cars to people that don’t appear to be legal in Australia.

To answer your question I think it is very likely there could be a mix of cars on ships and already landed. Some conform and some don’t. Remember this rule only applies to Australia. And we already know that the tether anchorage is there in the car, they have just forgot to cut a hole in the parcel shelf so it can be used. It could easily be that some cars shipped were not Aussie specs and someone wasn’t paying attention enough and let them through.
So the tether point it there, it just doesnt have the access port? That would be an easy fix..

Reactions: X Æ A-12

I think you’re slightly over torching this one.

It’ll be fixed as a recall

So the tether point it there, it just doesnt have the access port? That would be an easy fix..

It would be, and maybe something that can be done in service centres without shipping back to China.

They would need to quickly get up to speed, get parts out to the centres and train people to do it, before they send out a recall notice.

This will take time, so in the meantime they would be ensuring cars that do conform are shipped quickly, and those that don’t and already arrived / en route, will have to wait until the fix is available.

I dont pretend to know anything about this and most of what is written in the manual goes over my head, some of it even seems to contradict itself.
Back when my kids were in child seats we just used the seat belts to hold the child capsule in my '86 VL haha

Screenshot 2024-01-06 135349.png
Screenshot 2024-01-06 135158.png
Screenshot 2024-01-06 135235.png

It would be, and maybe something that can be done in service centres without shipping back to China.

They would need to quickly get up to speed, get parts out to the centres and train people to do it, before they send out a recall notice.

This will take time, so in the meantime they would be ensuring cars that do conform are shipped quickly, and those that don’t and already arrived / en route, will have to wait until the fix is available.
I'll happily voluntarily take a non-conforming, child-seat-free *car off anyone who doesn't want it :)

*in blue

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus

Correct, and for the low percentage of people that it affects, make sure they know about it and dont use it until they get priority service in getting the mod done.

I dont pretend to know anything about this and most of what is written in the manual goes over my head, some of it even seems to contradict itself.
Back when my kids were in child seats we just used the seat belts in my '86 VL haha

That’s ISOFIX, they have them on the outboard seats, but they are not a legal requirement in Australia.

In that user manual they have the tether section and they contradict themselves by saying the middle seat can be tethered yet show a picture without one.

Like I said, this is only a problem in Australia.

Yeah, we are in a unique situation ordering the highland after the factory was out of action, I won't make that mistake again with Tesla, either order the current model or wait until production is well under way before ordering antything.

I do really think something has gone wrong though, I suspect our vehicles were built and the 'glitch' they refer to was our vehicles being sent somewhere else or something along those lines. @aaron.m your VIN doesn't end in 2682 does it?

Either way, I think they should be communicating with those of us who were assigned VIN's and had them pulled off us at this point, we shouldn't have to be chasing them for answers while they fill 4+ month newer orders ahead of ours.
Sorry to hear about what you're going through - I hope it works out soon!
I haven't been told about a VIN assignment yet.

I think you’re slightly over torching this one.

It’ll be fixed as a recall
My current car had a recall on its brakes, which affects everyone, recalls happen to most cars.
If you went to fit a child seat and noticed the hole wasnt there, called the service dept and said wtf, they would get you in to fix it. Most other people wouldnt notice
My current car has 3 tethers on the back of the rear seats, but no holes in the parcel shelf to run straps thru. They just say to run it over the seat and under the shelf, kind of like the photo in the model 3 manual. Is the shelf behind the rear seats fixed?

Reactions: X Æ A-12
For cars already delivered yes. But it is highly likely once the issue was raised they are not allowed to deliver any more. There is no way they would be.

Hence the delays and “glitches”.
Explain how more people have booked?

The delays were purely based of VINS being assigned from ships not stopping at our port in NSW/ACT

. Is the shelf behind the rear seats fixed?

Yes.

To be clear, there is not any doubt in the fact that the car as delivered does not meet Australian safety standards. It is missing something that even its ANCAP rating says it has. This really isn’t up for debate.

Seems to be a few people here who don’t think that would be an issue. I find that weird tbh, especially when the same people are here bitching and moaning about an unknown “glitch”that has seen their VINs revoked and deliveries delayed.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tony Soprano