Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Conspiracy theory: white cars have lowest gross profit, so prioritising other colours.

(Thinking: manufacturing cost difference between colours is w-a-a-a-a-y less than the price difference. What do you reckon? Maybe $100 extra factory cost for Ultra Red? But the price is $2,600 extra => $2,500 additional GP. So you fill the orders for coloured cars first, and leave the Storm Troopers for later.)
Not convincing. Manufacturing difference for LR vs RWD is also small, but they seem to push RWDs first, while LRs are more expensive.

Like most things here, it's pure speculation and therefore almost 100% likely incorrect!

Seriously, good point!

Maybe there's been a shortage of front motors... (more speculation).
I'll speculate that the manufacturer of the front motors are the same mob meant to supply the middle seat anchor point flap for the parcel shelf 🤣

Manufacturing difference for LR vs RWD is also small
It's all about production efficiency. Less differences = more cars through the production line per minute.
Differences cost money in terms of production efficiency.

Rumours are MY production = 1 per 40 seconds.
If differences in cars slow down production by say 5 seconds that's a reduction in production of 12.5%. If that affects 10% of cars, that's 1.25% of 1Mil cars = 12,500 cars in lost production.

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
I'm tempted to go for a drive to check them out... maybe a bit later. can easily figure out the carpark location from the Pedders in the background :p
I was lawfully allowed to be there, so don’t get done for trespassing 😬. I might go back tomorrow and suss the rear parcel shelf situation.. but I was thinking that would all be done at the delivery centre.

Ok, I'm in love. Meet Sriracha

Delivery was awesome, all my profile etc all set from the car I had for my road trip last year.

LOVE driving it. Calibrated quickly, like 10-15 mins (interesting even the blind spot light doesn't work while calibrating).

I've been driving round and round rounabouts, and honestly now that I've gotten used to not reaching for the stalk I can actually say I do prefer the buttons. I didn't expect that, even from the experiments I'd done in the past, now that I've had an 'extended' time playing with it for the past hour or so, I'm actually prefering not having to reach for a stalk.

Another interesting thing, someone had mentioned to be careful switching into drive and reverse that if you don't follow through it can go back to where you were, not sure if it's changed but I couldn't get that to happen. If I deliberately only swipe half way it completes the swipe for me every time.

I didn't take note of what SW version it was on, I had 30.8 available right away from the delivery center, so she's updating now and then I'll take her out again, maybe buy her dinner and give her another good thrashing, lol.

20240130_165718.jpg

20240130_165644.jpg

Delivery was awesome, all my profile etc all set from the car I had for my road trip last year.

LOVE driving it. Calibrated quickly, like 10-15 mins (interesting even the blind spot light doesn't work while calibrating).

I've been driving round and round rounabouts, and honestly now that I've gotten used to not reaching for the stalk I can actually say I do prefer the buttons. I didn't expect that, even from the experiments I'd done in the past, now that I've had an 'extended' time playing with it for the past hour or so, I'm actually prefering not having to reach for a stalk.

Another interesting thing, someone had mentioned to be careful switching into drive and reverse that if you don't follow through it can go back to where you were, not sure if it's changed but I couldn't get that to happen. If I deliberately only swipe half way it completes the swipe for me every time.

I didn't take note of what SW version it was on, I had 30.8 available right away from the delivery center, so she's updating now and then I'll take her out again, maybe buy her dinner and give her another good thrashing, lol.

View attachment 1013500
View attachment 1013501
Awesomme!!!! Congratulations mate, enjoy!!

View attachment 1013500
View attachment 1013501
That's gorgeous!!

Reactions: Jules22

View attachment 1013500
View attachment 1013501
still got that consumption sticker on though.

Reactions: Quickst
still got that consumption sticker on though.
OMG thanks for the reminder.

I had all these things I was going to check (and remove) at the delivery center, I did make myself do a good walk around before I opened the door (that was hard), but as soon as I sat in it, I was like ok lets f'ing go. Didn't even remove the film from the screen till I got home

OMG thanks for the reminder.

I had all these things I was going to check (and remove) at the delivery center, I did make myself do a good walk around before I opened the door (that was hard), but as soon as I sat in it, I was like ok lets f'ing go. Didn't even remove the film from the screen till I got home
Haha I still have the film on the vanity mirrors.. over a year now

image.jpg

Cheers, that is good feedback. Mine is still not great so now I wonder if I should get it looked at when I am at the service centre (had an email today about recall for the rear tether).

Yesterday I came within a literal 2mm of hitting a large concrete plant pot at the front of our house because I thought I was reversing. I still cannot understand how I managed to hit the brake in time. It really shook me up tbh, I would have been soooo miserable had I hit it.

That is a very good point about the cables and when its raining. You really wouldnt want to have to put them in the boot, the frunk seems like a better place so you can clean it out later (in your car, bugger the rental!)

Renatl prob had floor mats when it was new, but pinched soon after haha..
Much of what I have learnt comes off these threads so thanks to the many contributors!!

I have found the Auto Pilot to be a bit hit and miss. It almost drove me head on into a car the other day and often fails to stay in lane across intersections when the lines stop. On the highway, yeah it does a solid job but I dont trust it for much else.
Agree with that. Really auto steer is the big benefit for long highway drives.

Reactions: Cocoboy and dronus
Cheers, that is good feedback. Mine is still not great so now I wonder if I should get it looked at when I am at the service centre (had an email today about recall for the rear tether).

Yesterday I came within a literal 2mm of hitting a large concrete plant pot at the front of our house because I thought I was reversing. I still cannot understand how I managed to hit the brake in time. It really shook me up tbh, I would have been soooo miserable had I hit it.
Ok, yours is still doing it?

I'll go and try mine again just to be sure, but I was doing everything I can to make it happen (I want to know everything that can possibly go wrong before it does). Just got 30.8 finished installing and was playing around with the 3d park, and all the fart noises, lock sounds etc, lol. I haven't tried the swipe to D/R under 30.8 though.