Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So to help pass the time, what are people's reasons for buying a Tesla? And what's your least favourite aspect of them (other than the wait time)?

For me, have dreamed of an electric car for years. Guess it's the "the future will be electric cars" ideology that I grew up with. Had a bit of a financial windfall, and here in Canberra the incentives made it an easy choice.

I don't look forward to driving at night. The lack of light up instrumentation behind the steering wheel, no buttons with backlights, etc. "Ryan's Model 3" on Youtube and TikTok shows a bit what this is like, and it looks spooky. Reminds me too much of a crash when I was younger I had on a country road at night when a fuse blew and I lost all lighting in my car - headlights, internal, just sudden pitch black on a 100km/hs road.
I've always kept a very close eye on the latest tech, have pretty much always been an 'early adopter' but despite this have never owned a brand new car and currently drive something very low tech. After getting into $TSLA in Oct 2019 I've followed the company, their products and their future roadmap extremely closely and in Feb this year I thought I'd repay them in some way by ordering a car.

My 'least favourite aspect'? It's really hard to come up with something actually about the car; my only minor worry I have about owning an EV in north QLD would be the lack of solidly reliable charging infrastructure. The majority of charging options on the Bruce Highway are 2 bay 50KW chargers spaced every 150km or so between the Sunshine Coast and Cairns that aren't very reliable. I'm hoping that Supercharger locations pop up in regional QLD soon!

I went into Richmond (melb) for my 'refamiliarization' and Orientation drive on Monday with my SA. My wife and I spent an hour driving the M3P - the first time driving one since September 2021. I'm expecting my delivery in a week or so.
We both experienced the one pedal driving for the first time (or I had forgotten about it) and it was awesome! No brake pedal use at all. And oh the acceleration and smoothness of the ride, no vibrations. The car was just really cool. We've been gorging on Tesla Tom videos and others this week.
Oh, and the Turandot is now parked in Port Melbourne. Just sitting there. Right this minute, Doing what? I don't know.

Are you in Brisbane? The call I got wasn’t from my SA, but from someone at the delivery centre at Hendra
This is the Hendra delivery Centre 2 days ago, all locked up.

Attachments

• 0383E061-7483-4FC5-A9CC-43A63DF7E42E.jpeg
    0383E061-7483-4FC5-A9CC-43A63DF7E42E.jpeg
    493.2 KB · Views: 59
So to help pass the time, what are people's reasons for buying a Tesla? And what's your least favourite aspect of them (other than the wait time)?

For me, have dreamed of an electric car for years. Guess it's the "the future will be electric cars" ideology that I grew up with. Had a bit of a financial windfall, and here in Canberra the incentives made it an easy choice.

I don't look forward to driving at night. The lack of light up instrumentation behind the steering wheel, no buttons with backlights, etc. "Ryan's Model 3" on Youtube and TikTok shows a bit what this is like, and it looks spooky. Reminds me too much of a crash when I was younger I had on a country road at night when a fuse blew and I lost all lighting in my car - headlights, internal, just sudden pitch black on a 100km/hs road.
A while ago the MInister for War and Finance mentioned that we should look at EV/Hybrid for our next car for green reasons more than anything, With fuel over $2 litre - that clinched me. While EVs don;t use fossil fuel, I wonder about the environmental side of battery raw material extraction and manufacture etc. I had reservations about hybrid - more things that can go wrong for example - which brings us to pure EV. And with our price limit - left us with the chepaer ones (Kia Niro, MG etc) through to Tesla being at the maximum point.

The Ministers' number 1 concern was range, beating her like for sitting high off the road (currently have Kia Sorento which other than parking love to drive). Going by quoted figures, the LR is just about at the top of the pile. I would have been happy with EV 6 or Ioniq 5, local dealers said 2024 or 2025, which was a bit too long. Polestar - can't test drive in Canberra (yet). Leaving the Tesla - took it for a spin, we both liked it and ordered the same day. Not riding high like in an SUV, not a problem. I do worry about riding a tad too close to the road re scraping.

Least favorite thing (currently in mind) - not having customised shortcuts on the display screen. Being able to, say, out the wipers on by one touch if (it can't be on the stalks) I think would be quicker and less distracting than the several touches it seems to take. And having to use the screen to open the glove box - Really?

My 'least favourite aspect'? It's really hard to come up with something actually about the car; my only minor worry I have about owning an EV in north QLD would be the lack of solidly reliable charging infrastructure. The majority of charging options on the Bruce Highway are 2 bay 50KW chargers spaced every 150km or so between the Sunshine Coast and Cairns that aren't very reliable. I'm hoping that Supercharger locations pop up in regional QLD soon!
I think the installation on superchargers will be quite quick as more and more turn to EV’s. Beside you mostly will charge at home. The QLD gov are putting in chargers in western QLD from what I heard.

Since my first iPhone I’ve been into the “latest and the greatest” and I’m into anything to do with Space since I put my first rockets up when I was a kid. As a teenager driving a Morris minor convertible home from the Brisbane speedway, I used to add castor oil to the fuel so it would smell like racing fuel. I have always been into cars hence the Tesla LR.

I was only thinking of the 4/7 pick up, not the one in progress. I'm practicing extreme patience 😆
Here's an optimistic outlook with a tiny bit of logical analysis.
Giga Shanghai is currently producing for the local Chinese market for sale until quarter end, say until 28 June

Australia and NZ have mostly missed out on Q2 deliveries, so in the interest of fairness (?), Tesla may want to prioritise these in Q3.

Morning Clara is in Shanghai 4/7, direct to Australia, but not NZ.
Paganella on 6/7, going via Japan, then to NZ.
At 2600 cars per day, there is enough time after 28/6 to switch to RHD and fill both these ROROs with RHD cars for the 3 markets

MClara arrives Port Kembla 24/7, so east coast deliveries would start very late July through to mid August, which fits in with current EDDs

What do you think?

I have been interested (quietly) in an EV since I heard about Tesla making them years ago. Due to financial ability, a few years back bought a new Hyundai (ICE).. and with fuel prices going mental and a friend getting the RWD version, thought it might be time to look into it. I also am hopeful it'll make a good impact, green wise, and cause we have panels on the roof, $$ as well..
Originally I was worried about the distance the EV's can do, but with the LR distance, should be good.. not that I live too country these days, but still, old habits and all. The speed wasn't something I am that interested in, mainly just want a car that will get me from A - B... having driven one, I can get used to the acceleration.. 😇
Something I am not looking forward to.. kids in the car! 🤣 Actually, the door dings in the garage cause kids don't have spatial awareness when opening doors... I figure the console differences will just take time to get used to... and the indicators being on the wrong side!

A while ago the MInister for War and Finance mentioned that we should look at EV/Hybrid for our next car for green reasons more than anything, With fuel over $2 litre - that clinched me. While EVs don;t use fossil fuel, I wonder about the environmental side of battery raw material extraction and manufacture etc. I had reservations about hybrid - more things that can go wrong for example - which brings us to pure EV. And with our price limit - left us with the chepaer ones (Kia Niro, MG etc) through to Tesla being at the maximum point.

The Ministers' number 1 concern was range, beating her like for sitting high off the road (currently have Kia Sorento which other than parking love to drive). Going by quoted figures, the LR is just about at the top of the pile. I would have been happy with EV 6 or Ioniq 5, local dealers said 2024 or 2025, which was a bit too long. Polestar - can't test drive in Canberra (yet). Leaving the Tesla - took it for a spin, we both liked it and ordered the same day. Not riding high like in an SUV, not a problem. I do worry about riding a tad too close to the road re scraping.

Least favorite thing (currently in mind) - not having customised shortcuts on the display screen. Being able to, say, out the wipers on by one touch if (it can't be on the stalks) I think would be quicker and less distracting than the several touches it seems to take. And having to use the screen to open the glove box - Really?
Move to Queensland and you barely need wipers :)

• Funny
Reactions: rtvanda
A w

Quick note - you can get the wipers kicking by pressing the button at the end of the left stalk. Quick press for wipers and the options pop up on the screen also, or long press for wipers and washer fluid.