Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did everyone buy the charger first then get a sparky to install? I've seen some places provide and install but fear the bonus $$$ they'll add on top
Yes. Charger hadn't arrived yet when I contacted sparky.

Got 2 quotes, first one was Tesla recommended at $850 +GST and other one was "around $780 + parts + GST but I'd have to see it to know for sure." so I went with the 850 one.

Took about 3 hours to do.

[EDIT] - oh that was a pretty easy install. 3 Phase 20 Amp breaker but Tesla Charger is on opposite side of wall from Meter Box

Now I just need to find one of the Tesla's in the local supermarket and invite it home to test the charger :)

Got 2 quotes, first one was Tesla recommended at $850 +GST and other one was "around $780 + parts + GST but I'd have to see it to know for sure." so I went with the 850 one.

[EDIT] - oh that was a pretty easy install. 3 Phase 20 Amp breaker but Tesla Charger is on opposite side of wall from Meter Box

Now I just need to find one of the Tesla's in the local supermarket and invite it home to test the charger :)
My Powerwall is so far away from meter box it took more than a day to install. They'll probably have to do the same for wall charger 😬

I'm not interested in the Y because it's too large. I'm worried that the 3 is going to be too big as well. If only Tesla made a hatchback.
Size of course is personal and relative. In 2018 I was looking for our first EV. We already had a Peugeot sedan which was great for long distance cruising and the Model 3 definitely looked too big for us. We saw it as "American small = Australian large". So, we bought a Renault Zoe Super Mini which has been fantastic but not very practical for long trips because of no DC charging.

Then the time came last year to replace the Peugeot and we were delighted to find that the 3LR dimensions were almost exactly the same as the Peugeot 508GT. Not only that, height was important because I frequently transport a Zodiac which is suspended from the garage roof and I discovered a Y, Kia or Hyundai would all be too high to get under the garage door with the boat on the roof. So we bought a Model 3LR. We have been delighted with the decision. It is a great cruising car and also works well around town because of the good efficiency plus nippy and zippy performance. Although the small Zoe is better on narrow lanes in Sydney City and environs, the Tesla is perfectly capable and I never feel squeezed. I have fitted a stealth tow bar and the factory roof bars. I have better clearance under the garage roof with the boat because the roof bars integrate so well.

So, just my opinion, but we find it perfect size wise. We use it about 85% long distance and 15% around town. If we only had the 3LR and no Zoe, my wife and I would happily use the 3 100% for everything.

Our current cars are a 2015 Hyundia Accent and a 2005 Mazda 3 so we're very much about the small hatchback. I was looking at getting a 2015 Golf GTI or R but then decided to splurge for the Model 3. I'm confident that I won't have any issues with the size but it's biggest size car that I would ever consider.

Hi All,

Not sure if ‘allowed’ or worthwhile but thought I’d start an Australian ‘Model 3 Waiting Room’, as all responses with the LR thread I’ve been viewing appear to be from our US friends. So feel free to join and contribute here, and hopefully assist in consoling our fellow impatient purchasers (me)! 😁

Order date: 12/11
EDD: nil
VIN: nil
Located: NSW
For someone who 'used to' live in Adelaide and now lives in Europe this is bullshit and I feel sorry for you. I ordered my M3LR on the 29th of April and am getting it next week.

This article just popped up on my feed Australian company launches locally made home EV charger

$2200 just for the charger is very high. I like local and all but at over double the price?...

• Informative
Reactions: Ormaus