Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Veda Prime is the one person you should be 100% listening to.
He has a tracking service which monitors the factory, shipping and transport for Tecla's in Australia.

It is a paid service at $15 per month but the information is top notch and accurate and doesn't include any of the speculation you find elsewhere.
I think if Vedaprime wants to be part of a discussion, Vedaprime can provide sources like everyone else here trying to work out what's happening.

Reactions: trippa
I cannot always share everything on TMC as I run a commercial service and there are conditions around this in tmc as well as the conditions in the service I’ve been running for almost 3 years.

I am happy from time to time to pop in here, as this is where I originally started helping people, and at the same time be sure not to break conditions of either service.

Reactions: New Tech Bj
So to help pass the time, what are people's reasons for buying a Tesla? And what's your least favourite aspect of them (other than the wait time)?

For me, have dreamed of an electric car for years. Guess it's the "the future will be electric cars" ideology that I grew up with. Had a bit of a financial windfall, and here in Canberra the incentives made it an easy choice.

I don't look forward to driving at night. The lack of light up instrumentation behind the steering wheel, no buttons with backlights, etc. "Ryan's Model 3" on Youtube and TikTok shows a bit what this is like, and it looks spooky. Reminds me too much of a crash when I was younger I had on a country road at night when a fuse blew and I lost all lighting in my car - headlights, internal, just sudden pitch black on a 100km/hs road.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.ladbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2Fb647d50260a17e9ae816d7b5c09f3b4f.png

i found internal sauce

Last edited:
So to help pass the time, what are people's reasons for buying a Tesla? And what's your least favourite aspect of them (other than the wait time)?

For me, have dreamed of an electric car for years. Guess it's the "the future will be electric cars" ideology that I grew up with. Had a bit of a financial windfall, and here in Canberra the incentives made it an easy choice.

I don't look forward to driving at night. The lack of light up instrumentation behind the steering wheel, no buttons with backlights, etc. "Ryan's Model 3" on Youtube and TikTok shows a bit what this is like, and it looks spooky. Reminds me too much of a crash when I was younger I had on a country road at night when a fuse blew and I lost all lighting in my car - headlights, internal, just sudden pitch black on a 100km/hs road.
I'm creating a solar, battery and EV solution for my house so i can be (hopefully and eventually) 100% energy independent and as carbon free as possible. I know i can't be totally carbon free because i am a consumer but this will reduce my footprint dramatically. I love the idea of driving around knowing i produced my own fuel and showing that climate action can be fun and luxurious as hell. And yes. Since seeing my first Tesla i have always wanted one because i am a new tech tragic.

My concerns are always the same. And it's to do with build quality. That i will get a car with the same interior build quality as the original Hyundai Excel (you know the ones). Also Elon Musk is on the nose these days. I am hoping he is simply trying to get the right behind the sustainable and renewable energy mission statement because he knows he doesn't really need to for the left. Or at least not as much as he needs to get conservatives behind action. But i do worry he's starting to lose touch with reality and his original vision. I am also concerned about wait times all over the world seemingly blowing out by months and months from a couple of weeks of shutdown. And i don't like how he treats Australia. And i don't like that there are no avenues to get something resolved but that's a trend with almost all corporations these days. Padding themselves with low paid service staff to avoid accountability.

Reactions: lazjen
Usb, like this except I chose the lesser kit that doesn’t do the lights around the back of the seats (thought this was overkill).
I got the pcb to tap into the on/off signal from the footwell light. Quite clever in that it only takes the signal but draws power from the 12v plug. But then i saw the below kit and think i might order it but having a hard time working out if i comes with those cable tapping things. Neater cable configuration though.

The one i currently have:

Reactions: Crunchy
Not everyone agrees with your assessment.
Just because there is a waiting list, doesn't mean they aren't focusing on domestic production.

Typically in the last month of the quarter (ie. June), Tesla in the US and China focuses on domestic production. That way they can produce the cat and get it delivered within June to minimise inventory on the books come end of quarter.

Come July 1, back to export schedule, produce cars early-late July, get them on ships late July into August. Deliver mid-August to end September.

Then the cycle starts again.

Reactions: Vedaprime and cafz
I ask because the wait times in China just extended for Model 3s apparently for 20-24 months (yikes!). In an article Vedaprime is actually quoted in. Which also speculates that giga Shanghai is focused on the export market. Therefore i am interested if there is a source saying the opposite.

The China Tesla site says 16-20 WEEKS for the base model and 20-24 WEEKS for the higher spec model. Nowhere does it say MONTHS...

Reactions: slh2022
I don't look forward to driving at night. The lack of light up instrumentation behind the steering wheel, no buttons with backlights, etc. "Ryan's Model 3" on Youtube and TikTok shows a bit what this is like, and it looks spooky.
Your eyes have far better dynamic range than any camera. In videos at night the light from the screen will make everything else look very dark, but when you're actually in the car your eyes can easily see the darker bits of the interior in the diffused light. The steering wheel buttons are backlit too if you turn that on.

In general the screen in place of instrumentation seems to take people about a week or two to get used to.