Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if installed, Was it actually using the radar anymore though?

My understanding is that they are. With the exception of FSD Beta users, all radar-equipped cars are still using their radars. These cars aren't subject to the same limitations as Tesla Vision cars (the lower maximum speed, the longer minimum following distance, the requirement for Auto High Beam to be enabled, etc.).

When Tesla Vision was first pushed to production, Musk claimed that all cars would eventually be updated to use it. Over a year later, camera-based Autopilot is still universally considered to be less reliable. Tesla aren't going to nerf radar-equipped cars to placate Tesla Vision owners, and it's entirely possible that Tesla Vision will simply never achieve parity with the previous solution.

The fact is that we'll be taking delivery of a demonstrably inferior product for the same money.

My understanding is that they are. With the exception of FSD Beta users, all radar-equipped cars are still using their radars. These cars aren't subject to the same limitations as Tesla Vision cars (the lower maximum speed, the longer minimum following distance, the requirement for Auto High Beam to be enabled, etc.).

When Tesla Vision was first pushed to production, Musk claimed that all cars would eventually be updated to use it. Over a year later, camera-based Autopilot is still universally considered to be less reliable. Tesla aren't going to nerf radar-equipped cars to placate Tesla Vision owners, and it's entirely possible that Tesla Vision will simply never achieve parity with the previous solution.

The fact is that we'll be taking delivery of a demonstrably inferior product for the same money.
So don't buy it? It's not like you paid the full price for the specs. You are yet to pay.

Reactions: Ormaus
So don't buy it? It's not like you paid the full price for the specs. You are yet to pay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still keen for my Model 3! I'm even looking forward to using Autopilot, if only in good weather on highways during the day. I'm just lamenting the fact that all these delays now mean that our cars will come with driver-assistance systems that aren't (and may never be) as safe or reliable as those on earlier vehicles.

Even if this was a dealbreaker, I'd be mad not to take delivery of the car and immediately sell it for a profit. ;)

What date is your OD? If it is after mine 7Feb or you have not received a VIN I doubt it has been built yet in which case i don’t think it will have radar.

This is what I found.

How do I know if my car is equipped with radar? 
Starting with deliveries in May 2021, Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built for the North American market will be optimized for Tesla Vision and will not be equipped with radar. If you ordered a car before May and will receive a car that is not equipped with radar, you will be notified of the change in your Tesla Account prior to delivery.”

I know our cars are supposedly built in China. I will check on my mates which he received in the last batch earlier this year when I see him

This is what I found.

Starting with deliveries in May 2021, Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built for the North American market will be optimized for Tesla Vision and will not be equipped with radar. If you ordered a car before May and will receive a car that is not equipped with radar, you will be notified of the change in your Tesla Account prior to delivery.”

I know our cars are supposedly built in China. I will check on my mates which he received in the last batch earlier this year when I see him

That's from the North American version of the page. If you change your region to Australia, the corresponding section reads:

Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built from June 2022 for Australia will transition to Tesla Vision.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still keen for my Model 3! I'm even looking forward to using Autopilot, if only in good weather on highways during the day. I'm just lamenting the fact that all these delays now mean that our cars will come with driver-assistance systems that aren't (and may never be) as safe or reliable as those on earlier vehicles.

Even if this was a dealbreaker, I'd be mad not to take delivery of the car and immediately sell it for a profit. ;)
Sounds like whining to me.

If Tesla Vision is the way forward then it will improve and be upgraded. Radar was a local maximum which Tesla is determined to exceed. Unlikely radar will receive any upgrade love going forward.

As for the limitations, they are likely initial limitations not permanent ones.
Speed - 140kph - why would you need this on autopilot? If you absolutely needed to go faster than this - dangerous overtaking, track work, etc then you can just take the wheel and drive it yourself.
Longer minimum follow distance - maybe annoying in stop/start traffic as others will cut in, but not a bad thing overall safety wise.
Auto High Beam - I think it's normal on all vision-only cars. I would assume it is so the AP has control on lighting to make sure the cameras see far enough to do a good job at night. Hopefully any remaining issues with this will be quickly rectified so other drivers aren't annoyed.

As @Hoopyfrood said above don't like it? Don't buy it.
Plenty of people in the queue would be happy if you stepped out and let them have it instead.

tesdelivery.png

Which is also concerning as they can easily push back all Q3 deliveries to Q4 if it suits them. Just look at the massive quota they've got for Europe and Domestic for the 3's and Y's, we don't matter at all.
If they do, it's 100% Polestar time for me. Aint getting dragged into the whole sunk investment cult mentality.

I am actually turning it over in my mind currently. The earlier i order, the earlier I get a Polestar and can forget this dumpster fire of a delivery process.