Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about possible reasons for the VIN allocations to start with Good Coast, then move on to Sydney.

I have a hunch Tesla have introduced a new method of VIN allocation that’s distributed out to individual Delivery Centres. They’re getting ready to “scale up” to continue to increase volume into the future. Where before, VIN allocation was done centrally, now some aspects of it are distributed out

If I were Tesla HQ and I wanted to ensure everything is working in a new process that involves multiple teams distributed across the country, I’d choose a relatively small team first (e.g. Gold Cost) then move on to something bigger next (Sydney) then proceed on to the rest in a slow-and-steady way.

This could also mean if there are any issues encountered as they roll out the new process, like say Sydney’s team encounter a hitch, the whole roll out could slow down.

On the flip-side for us customers eagerly hitting refresh, the cars themselves seem to already be on ships. The “critical path” would be “getting the car shipped to the right destination” - the admin issue would be just a delay in notifying us it’s been allocated.

This is all just speculation. Any thoughts?
That might work fine if you get your car from a delivery centre. Who would be doing for those getting there cars delivered elsewhere. I have not had any contacts with an SA and being remote don't even know which centre would be potentially allocating mine.

The delay was due to the lockdown. The lockdown put everything back four months
Thats actually not true. Lockdown meant the poor Chinese workers were forced to LIVE in the Tesla factory to 'stop the spread' of covid and in reality to keep their jobs. Considering they bang out at least 1000 cars a day, with some concentrated effort on clearing backlogs here we wouldnt be in this position...

Thats actually not true. Lockdown meant the poor Chinese workers were forced to LIVE in the Tesla factory to 'stop the spread' of covid and in reality to keep their jobs. Considering they bang out at least 1000 cars a day, with some concentrated effort on clearing backlogs here we wouldnt be in this position...
Look at production figures for the Shanghai factory month by month for this year

That might work fine if you get your car from a delivery centre. Who would be doing for those getting there cars delivered elsewhere. I have not had any contacts with an SA and being remote don't even know which centre would be potentially allocating mine.
Yeah my speculation provides no insight to the issue of lack of comms from Tesla. I'm in Melbourne, and my SA, despite numerous attempts to contact since ordering in Feb, has not provided any information. Like, none. Zip.

The best I've had is the odd conversation with a Tesla NZ SA, because the attempts at calling Tesla ends with being forwarded to them because I guess I chose a time when the AU team is inundated with too much contact.

The comms aspect from Tesla is awful. And here we are, left to speculate here on forums like this.

Mine will be a regional delivery, not a pick up from a delivery centre.. I’m interested in how it gets allocated too

Now that VIN allocations have started... do we think the SA's would be aware of when their dealerships would be getting cars in? i.e. Would Tesla Perth know they are getting *some* cars coming on a transhipment in November?
I spoke with my SA (from Alexandria in Sydney) yesterday and he mentioned that they had no idea that VINS were being matched to cars yesterday... they saw it online like we did. So I'm guessing they have no clue what is coming and when....

Reactions: DM221291
I spoke with my SA (from Alexandria in Sydney) yesterday and he mentioned that they had no idea that VINS were being matched to cars yesterday... they saw it online like we did. So I'm guessing they have no clue what is coming and when....
I can understand them not knowing when VIN assignments were happening... but knowing when you're getting stock in is a different story I would have thought?