Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I picked up my Model 3 Long Range (White/White) on Wednesday (23rd March). The car is perfect with no issues or defects I can see. Driving it back to Newcastle from Chatswood really makes you appreciate what a great car it is. When the autopilot finished calibrating and the car started driving itself, well, that took things to a whole new level! It was like living in the future
😀
Your car will come and it will be worth the wait.

Here is a rundown on my four month order to delivery for those waiting. Hopefully this may help.
  • 17/11/2021 - Submitted a trade in request for my 2017 Mustang. Tesla was around 5k less than what I ended up getting on car sales instant offer. The good that came out of this was the SA that was assigned to my account called me to discuss the trade in offer. I now had is mobile number! I also booked a test drive for the 20/11/2021 at Chatswood. Don't got with the Tesla trade in!
  • 19/11/2021 - I placed the order for the Long Range but deleted the trade in. It was a straight up cash purchase with no finance. Estimated delivery was 8-12 weeks.
  • 20/11/2021 - Went to Chatswood for a test drive the Long Range and meet my SA in person. I will say that he was very good and always picked up his phone or called me back when I left a message. Very impressed with the test drive so now the wait started...
  • 21/11/2021 - 15/1/2021 - Not much happened. Watched my estimated delivery date (EDD) disappear / reappear / disappear a number of times. Don't be concerned about this.
  • 15/1/2022 - 29/1/2022 - This was a tough time. If you look back on the thread you will see a lot of people started finding hidden VIN's on their account. These were mainly RWD/SR+'s but it causes you stress as you read this forum and see people who ordered around the same time as you (especially if they ordered a LR) find a VIN, but nothing for you. Two points here. 1. Unless you have a VIN your car has not been built yet regardless of what you are told. 2. Don't go installing VIN search plugin's into your browser, this is a security risk. Either search the source code manually (there are instructions in this thread on how to do this) or wait and when a VIN is assigned you will receive a TXT from Tesla usually within 24 hours. I called my SA a couple of times during this window and he assured my I would have the car by mid to late March. This seemed ages away!
  • 11/2/2022 - Got the TXT from Telsa that a vehicle had been assigned! My account also updated with a EDD of 12-26th of March. When you get a window you know that your car is built and should be on a ship heading to Port Kembla.
  • 2/3/2022 - Received my final invoice. I would recommend that you do a small bank transfer into your Tesla account to ensure that it goes in okay and shows up on your balance before transferring the large amount. You can do multiple payments. These should be reflected in your Tesla balance within 24 hours. You will also get a TXT from Tesla each time funds are deposited into the account.
  • 9/3/2022 - Made my final payment. Some people say hold off making your final payment until you receive a TXT saying your vehicle is ready for delivery. When you get this TXT you usually have < 1 week before pickup and Tesla must have full payment at least two days before this. This can be cutting things fine if there are any issues with fund transfers or finance (if you have it). I didn't pay that early, but the ship was delayed in Brisbane due to bad weather. EDD also updated to 18th-30th of March due to the delay in Brisbane.
  • 17/3/2022 - Received that magical TXT that my Model 3 was ready for pickup! Tesla offers you three dates to book pickup. In my case it was 23/24/25 of March. I selected 23rd of March at 11am.
  • 21/3/2022 - My SA called me to confirm the pickup on the 23rd at 11am, but what they are really doing is checking that the car was fully paid for and that all paper work is in order.
  • 22/3/2022 - Car registration showed up in Service NSW app. SA called again. This was a worry, calling the day before pickup can only mean there was a issue! Luckily it was a small one. The vehicle carrier with my car on it was running late and would not arrive at Chatswood until tonight (Tuesday). The SA knew I was driving the car back to Newcastle so wanted to ensure the car had a full charge so rescheduled my Wednesday pickup from 11am to 3pm. All good!
  • 23/3/2022 - Arrived at Chatswood at 3pm. My SA helped activate my car in the Tesla app. He then took my wife and I over the car and handed us the rego papers. This was all done in 15 minutes. By 3:15pm we were driving back to Newcastle!
So that's the process, all up it was 4 months and a couple of days. The thing to remember is that Tesla build cars in batches and not exactly according to your order date. So don't be concerned if someone gets their car before you. You are in the system and your car will come! All the best to everyone.

Last edited:
Got the car yesterday.
It would be my wife's car, not mine.
Honestly, I don't like the car. Yes, the drive is fine, and probably fuel cost wise it's great, but UI ruins everything, from door handles and indicators on the other side of steering wheel, to horrible controls hidden in 3rd level menus. Voice control is not helping much, "adjust mirrors - command not found".
I understand you can get used to everything, but my daily car is not Tesla, so I feel constant switches of controls would be frustrating. And it's really annoying that most of those changes were really done just for the sake of changes itself (as I understand, v10 interface was much more useful), and another bunch - just to save 50 bucks during production.
Anyways looks like my wife would enjoy the car :)

I
Did you notice a significant difference with Acceleration Boost?

From what I've seen it's basically the inital jolt from the lower speeds that gets a bit joltier. Was thinking about it but now that I've experienced the standard LR acceleration I am appreciating that it sort of eases you into it rather than snapping your neck back when you floor it.
I Found Acc boost worthwhile for me anyway. The LR power suffers a bit with a couple adults in car. Acc boost overcomes that and gives you better acceleration at higher speeds too.... its quite good

Two points here. 1. Unless you have a VIN your car has not been built yet regardless of what you are told. 2. Don't go installing VIN search plugin's into your browser, this is a security risk. Either search the source code manually (there are instructions in this thread on how to do this) or wait and when a VIN is assigned you will receive a TXT from
Thanks for the great report. Very informative.

Is this a real issue? Never heard this remark before. Any enlightenment?

First full day with my Standard Range Model 3 in Adelaide with about 300km now on the ODO.

A few comments.

Car drives like nothing I’ve ever driven. Very quickly got comfortable with one pedal driving. The trick is very smooth feathering of the accelerator. You very quickly get used to it.

Even Standard range destroys my old BMW M3 in performance. If you’re on the fence the SR is more than enough car for day to day driving.

Merging with traffic or overtaking is a game changer. You have the same torque 60 - 80 as you do from 0 with no spool up. Just gets the job done.

My initial camera calibration stopped at about 95% and wouldn’t progress. I don’t know if this was because I did a number of short drives which confused it or that I installed the pending software update before it was finished. Without the calibration I obviously couldn’t use autopilot.

Went in the service menu and reset the camera calibration. On the second attempt it completed inside 20km without a hitch. Autopilot now works but I still need to adjust to trusting it.

My alerts showed an error on my Tesla USB key. Was able to resolve this with the Format USB Drive button in safety. Weird that this wouldn’t have been done in the factory but sentry mode is all working now.

Topped up at the Franklin Street supercharger. No hassles, only one there. Peaked at 120kw. 20 minutes and $10 later I was on my way. Couldn’t be easier.
C2C3BEBC-742C-47F7-ACF0-7F7AE890E9EA.jpeg

Be prepared for people to stare at you at lights. It’s unnerving at first :)

Also got my first “Tesla wave” from another Model 3!

So far the car is everything I wanted it to be. You won’t be disappointed.

First full day with my Standard Range Model 3 in Adelaide with about 300km now on the ODO.

A few comments.

Car drives like nothing I’ve ever driven. Very quickly got comfortable with one pedal driving. The trick is very smooth feathering of the accelerator. You very quickly get used to it.

Even Standard range destroys my old BMW M3 in performance. If you’re on the fence the SR is more than enough car for day to day driving.

Merging with traffic or overtaking is a game changer. You have the same torque 60 - 80 as you do from 0 with no spool up. Just gets the job done.

My initial camera calibration stopped at about 95% and wouldn’t progress. I don’t know if this was because I did a number of short drives which confused it or that I installed the pending software update before it was finished. Without the calibration I obviously couldn’t use autopilot.

Went in the service menu and reset the camera calibration. On the second attempt it completed inside 20km without a hitch. Autopilot now works but I still need to adjust to trusting it.

My alerts showed an error on my Tesla USB key. Was able to resolve this with the Format USB Drive button in safety. Weird that this wouldn’t have been done in the factory but sentry mode is all working now.

Topped up at the Franklin Street supercharger. No hassles, only one there. Peaked at 120kw. 20 minutes and $10 later I was on my way. Couldn’t be easier.
View attachment 786565

Be prepared for people to stare at you at lights. It’s unnerving at first :)

Also got my first “Tesla wave” from another Model 3!

So far the car is everything I wanted it to be. You won’t be disappointed.
With the weather cooling down (finally) I've been driving with my windows down in the early mornings (in Brisbane). I'm now hearing the kids on the street yell out "Look! A Tesla!!" or similar. Amazed at how many kids (about 8-10 years old) go ga-ga over our cars! Crazy...

Reactions: Benzz and MrLaforge
Got the car yesterday.
It would be my wife's car, not mine.
Honestly, I don't like the car. Yes, the drive is fine, and probably fuel cost wise it's great, but UI ruins everything, from door handles and indicators on the other side of steering wheel, to horrible controls hidden in 3rd level menus. Voice control is not helping much, "adjust mirrors - command not found".
I understand you can get used to everything, but my daily car is not Tesla, so I feel constant switches of controls would be frustrating. And it's really annoying that most of those changes were really done just for the sake of changes itself (as I understand, v10 interface was much more useful), and another bunch - just to save 50 bucks during production.
Anyways looks like my wife would enjoy the car :)
Indicators on the other side of the steering wheel? Indicators are on the left, right?

Sorry to hear the hype didn’t match your expectation.
And thanks for all your input over the last few months!

Reactions: Benzz
Hi all,

Picked up my stunning new Tesla model 3 (SR) on Saturday and couldn't be more impressed.
There was no imperfections on this car through any of the checks. Paintwork is gorgeous

It's a strange feeling when you get your first Tesla, almost life changing. It's now a real joy driving to work in this amazing car. It's so quiet and it goes like a rocket taking off, even chill mode is quite nice

The wait maybe gut wrenching, devastating and feel like it lasts an eternity, but wow it is truly worth it at the end of the day!

20220328_072117.jpg

About Tesla China shutting down: Tesla to suspend production at Shanghai plant

Production will be halted on Monday, the people said, asking not to be identified because they were not authorised to speak publicly. Tesla had not yet informed employees whether it would extend the suspension beyond Monday
Oh dear, Hope this doesn't add too much delay. Although, my delivery date is few months down the line, I am already tired of the wait.

I picked up the M3 RWD Thursday last week and have just got it back from PPF being applied. Thoughts so far:

• Pickup was seamless, car was clean and no issues found on panel fit or imperfections, it was plugged in and 100% charged (Melbourne/Mulgrave pickup)
  • My wife picked up around midday as I was interstate, even having a different person than named on the paperwork was no issue as we made sure she had my ID and paperwork approving a 3rd party pickup.
  • Salesperson gave her plenty of time to check it out and get familiar with the car before leaving, no rush to get it out in the 15 minute window.
  • The blue colour is amazing, well worth the extra $.
  • We only drove it 10km up the road and dropped off for paint protection film to be put on the front bumper, guards, bonnet and wing mirrors to avoid stone chips or paint damage as well as window tinting. I used Liquid R, not the cheapest around but I have been very impressed with their workmanship & support. They found a couple of minor imperfections in the factory paint but commented MIC Teslas are much better than US manufactured ones and on par with other premium brands now.
  • The roof tinting is quite dark from factory, I was considering getting it tinted as well but probably won't bother now.
  • Acceleration is a big step up from pervious cars I have owned and driven, I forgot how much fun it was during the test drive a few months ago. Even the RWD M3 has far more useable power than many other performance cars so the LR and performance ones must be crazy. I am sure there are faster 0-100 and top speed for the same price but there is not much that would touch it for rolling acceleration that you need and use day to day.
Pic 3.jpg

Attachments

• Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    855.7 KB · Views: 40